PDA

View Full Version : How Much is it Worth?

buda
02-10-2003, 04:23 PM
I just finished a series of jobs for a client that does syndicated television programs. These were my first ever paid TV gigs, and I want to calibrate what the real market is out there, compared to what I charged. I figure that it will help me in the future, and also it may help out a bunch of you calibrating your jobs.

Here's the deal: I have 6 separate jobs posted on a web page. What I want to know is...

How much would you charge for each particular job, and how long do you think it would take?

Once I get about 20 legitimate responses, I'll drop the bomb - How much I actually charged, and the gory details if anyone needs proof. Don't bother with the music section on some of the jobs if you don't deal with that yourself.

I am interested in responses from freelancers like myself, and also bigger companies. If you want to criticize the work, feel free. Just remember for all these jobs I was just one guy working with deadlines, and like I said, it was my first batch of tv jobs. So you know...

Okay: So don't be nice, be honest...

http://www.deadlysystems.com/animjobs.htm

-Joel
(bracing myself for...???)

Skonk
02-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Iv recently done a few images for the front of a catalog and after talking to a couple of local design companies i ended up charging 50 an hour for 6 hours per job (300) which i understand is actually very cheap considering what i did. But as a student i need all the dosh i can get so i told them id do it cheap just to get the job.

Bascially the work iv done involved matching up a 3d character to a person in a photo and then compisiting the 3d into the photo making a person look part man part machine.

I have no idea really though what sort of prices ppl charge, i guess there would be a lot of ppl unwilling to talk about money in this way but i hope someone does cos i would also like to know the going rates :)

James..

buda
02-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Spank Daddy wrote:

"I have no idea really though what sort of prices ppl charge, i guess there would be a lot of ppl unwilling to talk about money in this way but i hope someone does cos i would also like to know the going rates"

That's what the thread is about - the truth! Like I said, once I get 20 legit responses, I'll lay it on the line. Spank, just because you are a student does not mean you can't join it this though. In fact, you're input would be very valuable because producers will often try to get students so they can theoretically save money. So, you would be in this game also.

-Joel

Skonk
02-10-2003, 06:17 PM
The main problem is that money is a bit of a taboo subject with many ppl, there not always very forthcomming when it comes to telling other ppl what they earn, i remember a few simalar posts on the old forum that didn't get many replys :( but yeh i hope this one does better cos its a big problem for ppl who are just comming into the industry and not knowing what price to tell prospective clients. If u say too low then u get ripped off, if u say too high u dont get the job so some advice from ppl who are in the know would help a lot.

James..

Skonk
02-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Just to add, before i did any "real" work for anyone i did a bit of work experience with a design company through my college (4 of us went there for a week, unpaid. mainly doing flash animation), im doing multimedia btw and after talking with ppl there and a few of the staff at college who had done some freelance work and was told prices they had paid/been paid for graphics work and i was amazed at the money that could be made, i was quoted figures from 50 to 200 per hour depending on the work and ofcourse how urgently they needed it :). Thats for freelance stuff which i suppose means your never really sure if your going to get regular work, unlike if u worked in an office etc... Id only ever done 3d as a hobby before i didn't really think i was good enough to do it as a job, but im getting a bit of work now :).

James..

buda
02-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Well, I guess we can just cross our fingers then. It'll be interesting to see where the "LW Community" is at.
-Joel

Originally posted by SpankDaddy
The main problem is that money is a bit of a taboo subject with many ppl, there not always very forthcomming when it comes to telling other ppl what they earn, i remember a few simalar posts on the old forum that didn't get many replys :( but yeh i hope this one does better cos its a big problem for ppl who are just comming into the industry and not knowing what price to tell prospective clients. If u say too low then u get ripped off, if u say too high u dont get the job so some advice from ppl who are in the know would help a lot.

James..

Rory_L
03-25-2003, 07:48 PM
There was a thread here where they were talking about this and someone mentioned a book where representative jobs and pricings were outlined, but for the life of me I can`t find it again. Can anyone help? Was the book called The Artists and Writers Handbook?

BTW, I`m salaried now, but when I was freelance in the early 90s I charged 500 pounds for an `Amiga Format` front cover illo. The whole thing only took me four hours: it was the easiest freelance money I ever made! :D

R