PDA

View Full Version : Everything is coming up Roses...almost

prospector
03-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Well...LW 8 is coming..
We all got free mucho expensive gifts for upgrading....
We all get the free plug-in for the waiting period...

All is hunky dory...except..

When will Vertex Paint be updated??????

So that it dosen't paint THRU an object or erase thru an object???

That would just make my day..

Axis3d
03-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Vertex paint already does this. If you check the 'Front' option, you will only be painting the front polys, not through to the back. You can also paint symmetrically on an object, or mirror what you have painted to the other side. I wish that Vertex Paint would become a full-fledged texture map painting program and not just vertex/weight colors.

prospector
03-06-2004, 02:00 PM
I mean painting weights.
But will try that 'front' thingy to see how that does with weight painting.
Thatks for the heads up.

Axis3d
03-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Yes, it works for Weight maps too.

prospector
03-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Nope mine don't it paints weights and erases weights thru the object.
I have ver 3.5.4.
Is this the one you have?

Axis3d
03-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Yes, I have version 3.5.4 (March 7, 2002). Are you running on Mac or PC? I'm on PC. My co-worker is using the mac and Vertex Paint is a bit flakey on his. I'm also running LW 7.5c.

prospector
03-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Pc
I was running 7.5C but was having too many problems with other plug-ins and the basic program so I went to 7.5B and all is again hunky dory.

But I did notice that the closer I got to the model (to get those really close together points) the more it painted thru in spots.
so when I get close to say between the legs to set the thight weights and such, the weights will also transfer to the body and head if they are behind what I am working on.

ACLOBO
03-08-2004, 10:19 PM
I think this might have something to do with the fact that you are simply too close. So, in effect, you are the verge of going through the mesh and you not only select what is in front of ya, but what is also behind as you are on that verge. I have had this selection problem with some car models I have made lately. When I needed to get in and do some fine detail areas on the geometry, I have accidently selected other parts beyond what I picked on screen. I was very close to the model when I did these things. Kinda like that fixed distance thing in Layout.... You get too close and your mesh disappears - even if you are not actually intersecting it and you end up looking at the other side.

Maybe you could hide the areas you don't want to affect? Can you do this Vertex paint? If not, maybe break down the object, pull pieces into vertex paint, paint the trouble ares and then put the object back together? Dunno - just a thought.

-Adrian