PDA

View Full Version : UVEdit Pro Question

TyVole
03-05-2004, 08:03 PM
For those who have used this before, what are its main advantages?

I presume it's not going to help with subd stretching.

hrgiger
03-05-2004, 08:13 PM
No, nothing like that. It's main advantage is you don't have to do any unwelding of points to edit your UV. Also has colored wireframes, a UV exporter and some good editing tools. But then, that's just from me reading through the pdf once.

WilliamVaughan
03-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Cubic mapping, and more...read thru the 40+ page docs!

Xacto
03-05-2004, 09:09 PM
I registered UVEdit Pro and just finished reading the PDF and decided to check it out. However, I can not figure out how to apply the UV map once you create and position the UV texture in UVEdit Pro.

Do you just close the window and it will apply?
When I check the Surface Editor... there is NO UV in the color box.

Do I have to re-apply the texture manually through the Surface Editor?

;)

animotion
03-05-2004, 10:38 PM
If you haven't found out yet, here you go.

1. select some polys or it will do the whole object.

2. select your uv mapping mode.

3. hit apply on the lower right.

animotion;)

Xacto
03-06-2004, 08:43 AM
I can apply the image map onto my object in UVedit pro with no problem. I can see it and change all the settings (size, center, rotation ect.) I have applied all my modifications and pressed SAVE UV Map. When I close the window in UVedit Pro it does not show up in lightwave. When I open up UVedit Pro again my image is back on the image with all the settings.

I am wondering if my registration of the Plug is not working or am I missing something.

Thanks.

WizCraker
03-06-2004, 05:01 PM
I see a video coming in the future for UV Edit Pro perhaps.

prospector
03-06-2004, 10:22 PM
OK so I am trying to mirror a map

I got all the setting shown in manual (tho I think the pics labels are backwards), and I keep hitting apply and .......
nothing:mad:

How is this done?

prospector
03-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I even tried the point mode as if pic was wrong then maby the "only can use polygon" was too but still nothing.

Even tried with symmetry on and off.

New2Lw
03-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Mirror UV is one of the things I had a problem with. I havn't read the manual...heh.

But as far as I can tell it doesn't actually mirror it to other polygons if that's what your trying to do, I definatly couldn't get it to do that. I think it does something with the polygons that already have a UV applied, I'm probably wrong though. :rolleyes:

Eric

blabberlicious
03-08-2004, 07:42 AM
How to Mirror UVs ( and double your Texture space!)

1 - Make sure your object has perfect symmetry along the X-axis (ctrl-V set X=o)

2: Load the object in UV Edit Pro

3: Create a UV map. In this case Cylindrical

5. Now, in PLOY mode, SELECT ALL those Polys.

6. Still selected - Hit MIRROR UV then hit APPLY .

The Right half of the map is Mirrored onto the left half.

It looks like the right UV have have disappeared, but in fact they have been Mirriror and layed under the Left hand side UV's.

Bingo!

Perfectly Mirrored UV

I've noticed that sometimes even perfectly symmetrical objects leave stray Polys on the right hand side after the Mirror. To avoid this: Manually select the Polys of the left half of the map - then hit Mirror. This should work.

That's it. Then tweak away to your heart's content.

This plug-in is ace! MAJOR timesaver.

The only thing missing is any type of constrained (control) dragging - unless I've missed something???

Cheerio

blabberlicious
03-08-2004, 07:56 AM
How to Mirror UVs ( and double your Texture space!)

1 - Make sure your object has perfect symmetry along the X-axis (ctrl-V set X=o)

2: Load the object in UV Edit Pro

3: Create a UV map. In this case Cylindrical

5. Now, in PLOY mode, SELECT ALL those Polys.

6. Still selected - Hit MIRROR UV then hit APPLY .

The Right half of the map is Mirrored onto the left half.

It looks like the right UV have have disappeared, but in fact they have been Mirriror and layed under the Left hand side UV's.

Bingo!

Perfectly Mirrored UV

I've noticed that sometimes even perfectly symmetrical objects leave stray Polys on the right hand side after the Mirror. To avoid this: Manually select the Polys of the left half of the map - then hit Mirror. This should work.

That's it. Then tweak away to your heart's content.

This plug-in is ace! MAJOR timesaver.

The only thing missing is any type of constrained (control) dragging - unless I've missed something???

Cheerio

blabberlicious
03-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Duh!

Looks Like I mirrored my own post!

TyVole
03-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the tut!

jeanphi
03-08-2004, 08:48 AM
What we need is a "real time smooth scale" tool for UV and other modeling tools to work in UV edit pro like "pole" and "taper".

jeanphi
03-08-2004, 08:51 AM
And it will be nice if it was fully integrated to LW with modeler ergonomics...

blabberlicious
03-08-2004, 09:06 AM
IMHO - I find it's workflow BETTER than modeller - they even give you the option of mapping keys and selection behaviour to match your current workflow.

You can do pretty much everythig you need to with Dragnet.

Relax UV's would be my only wish - and an end to the sub-D distortion issue.

Otherwise, I'm certainly not complaining . I now realise why they weren't interested in buying Texture Edit II from Lynx - as they had their eyes on this baby...

I hope that the 8.5 upgrade will integrate this tool more fully (along with the necessary ground up rewrite to give us edges tools, modelling history, etc....

But thanks NT, appreciate the gift.

That two positive posts in a row!

Shucks - I feel a bit moist.

T-Light
03-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Hello blabberlicious.

I see you're based in London, did you already have the plugin?

The reason I ask is, I'm still waiting for the e-mail with the links :(

prospector
03-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Blabberlicious..
Where is your map mirrored?
I only see the left side of the map.
There should be both sides showing on the left side window. And the model on the right has the black squares extended from the left side to the right, they should follow the checker pattern and still go black,red,black across the face.

In my ball example I UV'd the whole ball and that was fine.
Then I selected those polys on the left of the ball and gave them a different texture and the checker texture and that was fine,
But when I mirror, it *should?* mirror the checker pattern to the opposit side of the ball AND show both sets of textured polys in the left side screen.

Shouldn't it????????

I did select mirror, so it should mirror the face and put the right side of your pattern in left window along with the left and show both eyes, both sides of nose and mouth..like the face is unwrapped in that window.:confused:

blabberlicious
03-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Look at the Preview Window (on the right) and you'll see that the checker image map cover the whole object.

That's because two identical sets of UVs are sharing the same UV space (on top of each other).

In effect with the left and right Polys 'stacked' like this, you are able to edit UV on both sides of the face at once.

You only need to make an image map for one half of the Object - a popular technique for making Maps for Game Characters.

Which reminds me:
Another cool thing about UV edit:- You get proper Symmetrical Editing (Woo!) - which which you don't in Modeller UV.

prospector
03-08-2004, 11:24 AM
But that's not 'really' mirroring then,
or maby I'm trying do do something called something else....

Take your face for example..
If I have a texture of a face and wanted to mirror the left UV map and get the full face in the left window, so that My texture map (which may have a mole painted on one side) dosen't get mirrored (with mole on both sides).
Going by your example, If I had a zigzigged scar painted across forehead then it would have the same thing on both sides of face, even tho on left side of face the scar starts at the temple and other side it goes up into hairline.

I wanna mirror the UV but not the texture, so when I hit mirror it takes the UV from 1 side and makes the same UVMap on the other and full face Map is showing in left window and not overlapped or behind.

Is this not mirroring a UV?

jacross
03-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Ok, stoopid question... unfortunately I miss-typed my email address when I purchased the LW8 upgrade, so I never got the email about UV Edit Pro. I called Newtek today and got the download page as well as the serial # for UV Edit Pro.... I've installed it just fine, no troubles (as easy as any plugin :) )... but I don't know where to register the software. Could anyone please provide me a link to where that is? Much appreciated.

KeithJ
03-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Ok I'm with XACTO.

Though the map looks great in the UV pro windo when I apply it to my model it goes wrong!!.. like below. What am I doing wrong??

:(
Keith

prospector
03-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Looks like we get what we pay for.....

blabberlicious
03-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I managed to UV this OK, about 100 times faster than I would have before.

I guess my cup's half full!

KeithJ: Is that a spherical map? Does it do that every time you try to map?

Strange - Happened to me once - but I tried repeatedly to freak it again- but no joy.

BTW, I PAID 500 for Bodypaint to do many of the things this baby does - so be grateful!

BP only lets you have one image map in each texture layer. Rubbish!

I think the Open Gl Enhancements will speed up the initial rendering of the UVEP Image map onto the model - which is admittedly a bit slow.

Best

Carm3D
03-10-2004, 03:26 PM
My experience with UV Edit Pro (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19333). You do get what you pay for.

:D

Chazz
03-10-2004, 03:42 PM
KeithJ,

In UVEditPro, open the Settings tab and check the option:

Save UVs to: Only Discontinuous VMAP

When you do that, the polys won't try and reconnect.

KeithJ
03-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks Chazz :)

That fixed it... I knew it had to be something straighforward!

Keith

Oh BTW Carm3D, what does

My experience with UV Edit Pro. You do get what you pay for. actually mean?
Is it sarcasm about the quality of the product or am I missing something here?:confused:

Carm3D
03-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah you're missing something.. Click on the "Pro" of UV Edit Pro in the message you are quoting.

Chazz
03-10-2004, 04:28 PM
No problem!

I bought it some time ago and once I learned the program (without English docs!!) I got fantastic results on some pretty complex models. It even saved my butt once on a tight timeline.

I think it was a nice turn for Newtek to write docs for it and get UVEdit Pro some attention.

mgreenway
03-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Thanks Carm.
you just saved me a lot of time.
stuff that don't work right, out the window!

Carm3D
03-11-2004, 03:44 AM
Always happy to help.