kyfsu00
03-05-2004, 04:37 PM
just got an email saying

We thank you for your LightWave 3D [7.5] order that qualifies for a
free upgrade to LightWave 3D [8], or your LightWave 3D [8] pre-order! We
also appreciate your patience as we put the finishing touches to
LightWave 3D [8]. As a gesture of our appreciation, NewTek is pleased to
bring you a special bonus - D-Storm's UV Edit Pro, a $119 software plugin
that provides enhanced texture editing capabilities, at no charge!

is this good? never heard of this?

prospector
03-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Yep..it's good;)

JDaniel
03-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by kyfsu00
just got an email saying

We thank you for your LightWave 3D [7.5] order that qualifies for a
free upgrade to LightWave 3D [8], or your LightWave 3D [8] pre-order! We
also appreciate your patience as we put the finishing touches to
LightWave 3D [8]. As a gesture of our appreciation, NewTek is pleased to
bring you a special bonus - D-Storm's UV Edit Pro, a $119 software plugin
that provides enhanced texture editing capabilities, at no charge!

is this good? never heard of this?

Did you read this also....
"Please note that this message is just for our qualifying customers - please do not post or quote this message on any public venue, and most especially keep your serial number confidential.

kyfsu00
03-05-2004, 04:53 PM
most here are qualifying customers and i didnt give out the serial. 2 out of 3 aint bad right?

aww,well. ill go spank myself now.

JDaniel
03-05-2004, 05:29 PM
You're correct. :) I was just giving you a hard time. ;)
But, I'm sure they don't want a bunch of whining about it from people that don't know about it either.

mkiii
03-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Exactly.

I was told not to mention it here after talking directly with a Newtek Europe emplyee - and I didn't.

I still havent heard officially that there is even a free gift. No emails from Newtek, zip. If I didn't read this forum, and you have to assume that lots of people don't, you wouldn't even know about it.

Hopefully communication will improve over the next week or so, if only to avoid the inevitable flood of complaining on this forum when only 25% of the qualified users get these emails.

I tell ya Newtek - it doesn't make me feel like a valued customer when I have to rely on 3rd parties to find out what's going on.

New2Lw
03-06-2004, 05:17 AM
I played with it for a couple hours on one of my heads...So far I'm not to impressed. I can do the exact same things with Lightwave's own UV editor. Even simulating symetry is easy if you know how.

Also, I find it really easy to get really accurate UV's using a method similiar to Meni's.

http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=how&how_id=7&manual=1

Eric

New2Lw
03-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Here's a link to the UV edit pro incase anyone wants it.

http://www.newtek.com/partners/uv-edit-pro/

mkiii
03-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Great.

All I need now is an email from Newtek to tell me that this exists, that I am entitled to it (I am btw), and a serial number.

Communication Guys!!!! :mad:

Chuck
03-06-2004, 06:58 AM
MKIII, our participating international distributors will be contacting their customers in the next few days. In the UK, that means that you can expect to hear from NewTek Europe.

mkiii
03-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks Chuck. Hopefully I'll have a new toy to play with by next weekend then :)

wacom
03-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by New2Lw
I played with it for a couple hours on one of my heads...So far I'm not to impressed. I can do the exact same things with Lightwave's own UV editor. Even simulating symetry is easy if you know how.

Also, I find it really easy to get really accurate UV's using a method similiar to Meni's.

Eric

Don't you think you're cutting some of the main features of this program short since it
was FREE? If I payed for it maybe...but...

Not to be a spoil sport of your spoil sport post...but I love to spoil for sport.

ACLOBO
03-06-2004, 08:37 PM

Eric

I think some people just like to complain.... I happen to think the tool is pretty cool (especially considering the price). I am not UV creation guru, but you can do things easier and cleaner in this program than going out and doing a lot of cutting and pasting and generally doing a lot of messy endomorph stuff. And as I posted in another thread, Newtek didn't have to give us this - but I for one am grateful. It makes a nice addition to my toolset.

-Adrian

kyfsu00
03-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I think it is very cool that newtek is giving us something for our patience. Even though I dont know what a uv map is or what to do with one yet ( im still new) I appreciate them giving us something. When was the last time any other company gave us something when there product was late?

ACLOBO
03-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Here's a link to the UV edit pro incase anyone wants it.

I don't think you were supposed to copy the link or really any info from your email - why would you do this??? PLease people - read your emails thoroughly. Newtek could have the mind to not give us any freebies in the future because people can't read.....

-Adrian

New2Lw
03-07-2004, 04:47 AM
It's kinda funny when you say your not supposed to give the link to the plugin. They were talking specifically about your registration code when they said don't quote the e-mail.

heh here, wonder if this will make you mad. LOL
I'm quoting the e-mail. LOL

"most especially keep your serial number confidential."

Wish I could underline the most especially part, they are trying to protect the idiots. Or at least covering their own *** with that message.

Also, why would there be a buy now button if the only people that were going to be able to access this link were the pre-orders? Why have a Buy now at all, they could just as easy have included the info in a document that you download with the plug-in. I'll tell you why, so it's easy for the people that didn't pre-order to buy the product.

If they wanted to protect it even more they coulda had us input our SN directly to access that link.

Common, think a little ;)

Onto the plugin itself.
I had written an entire message about what I had gotten out of it when using it. I deleted most of it figuring most of you could care less. Guess, when I deleted it I got rid of some of the good points. One of the good points is that it can save out a template easy, so you don't have to carefully crop a screen shot.

Also, there is a symetry mode but I had trouble getting it to work well. Seems you have to be in poly mode to get it to work, so when you drag and you want to keep the polys connected don't touch the handles in the middle of the polys that pop up. Again, all you have to do to simulate symetry in modeler is use the stretch tool in the proper spot.

There are a couple other neat things, but like I said, overall it can't do any more than the modelers own UV editer. Newtek did a good job, I think, with modelers UV editer.

Eric

mkiii
03-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Aclobo:
I wouldn't panic too much if I were you. I imagine the no posting thing was more to stop people who have not yet had any notice of a free gift (most of us in Europe for instance), don't get all wound up about it.

The download on the link above is only a demo version until you get a separate serial number from Newtek, so no harm done. You can download it direct from DStorm too if you want to try it.

New2LW:
You don't need to do a cropped screengrab any more. Not for quite a while, since EPS Export was included in modeler.

EPS export is ready cropped, and scalable.

ACLOBO
03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Hey Eric, before you get all high and mighty and tell me to "think" a little; try reading a little.

This is the direct quote - so i guess I am breaking my own rule just to defend my position.

From Newtek Mail:

"Please note that this message is just for our qualifying customers - please do not post or quote this message on any public venue, and most especially keep your serial number confidential."

So, now that I have quoted this quote, I am in need of my own advice about reading things and following set rules and regulations.

My point was that the email specifically states not to quote it in any public arena. My post is about making a point that people don't read or simply ignore what they are told. The message doesn't ask you to "think a little" and make your own conclusion about it.

So, Eric, read a little and don't "think" about it too much.

-Adrian

:p

New2Lw
03-08-2004, 12:18 AM
You win I'm done arguing, LOL.

Eric

ACLOBO
03-08-2004, 12:26 PM
I win??? Damn I should go get a lottery ticket... I never win anything....

:D

Anyway, I don't really think it was about winning. I was, perhaps. a little too high-strung about it. So, if I seemed self-righteous, then I apologize. I was just thinking that Newtek might get a lot of flak from those that had not received the message yet and figured they have enough to deal with.

I don't think this was about winning, just about making a point. In any case, I think you have demonstrated a level a maturity by not continuing to flame about it. So, I think we have both won by hopefully, not continuing to argue about it and get our blood pressures up! :D

Have a good one.

-Adrian

dblanky
03-08-2004, 05:15 PM
it isnt the free plugin that got me excited its the fact they said 'we are just touching up lightwave 8' which must mean it might nearly be ready at long last!

JDaniel
03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
My guess is the release is Mon. the 22nd!

Edit: A Japanese bird told me. :)