PDA

View Full Version : PC or Mac?

chemaelizondo
03-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I've been thinking about buying Lightwave, but I wonder wich platform would be the best to run it into. PC or Mac?
Is it a matter of personal taste? or is it a technical matter?
Coments are greatelly apreciated.
Thanks.

mlinde
03-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Do you already own hardware or software for one or the other? Are you already familiar with one OS or the other? Although Lightwave appears to work faster under Windows with the current version (7.5c), if you are already a Mac user who isn't familiar with the ins and outs of Windows, you may find it easier to work with LW on the Mac. If you are a Windows user, the opposite may be true. If you don't have a preference, I'd evaluate what other software you want to run, what platforms it is available for, and how well it runs on those platforms. For example, if you are going to use Final Cut Pro, which only runs on a Mac, and you want to use Lightwave as well, it may not be cost effective (or time and space effective) to have both a Mac (for FCP) and Windows machine (for Lightwave). In addition, be aware that the current Mac OS 10.3.0 - 10.3.2 does not work well with Lightwave when actually doing animation. This is under repair (by both Apple and Newtek, apparently).

toby
03-05-2004, 11:56 AM
A lot of people here will tell you that it's better on PC, but I disagree.

I've used it on a Mac for 4 years and on a PC for the last 4 months and the only advantages I see to the PC version are a few plug-ins and all the high-end graphics cards that aren't yet available on the Mac.

Disadvantages on the PC are poor multi-tasking and memory management, which is obvious and intrusive when you try to run other programs at the same time. It's also less stable, LW crashes more often on the PC I use than on my home G4, which has been hooked the internet for the last 5 years. PC's screen re-draw is really crude too.

So it is a matter of personnal preference!

Which computer do you use now?

chemaelizondo
03-05-2004, 12:09 PM
I've always used Mac. but I would be willing to change to PC if necesary, specially since I notice that the Mac comunity in general has more problems than the PC comunity.
Surfing the internet is far better with a Mac but aparently hi-end 3d stuff is created in a less painful way on a PC.

Thanks.

JM

toby
03-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by chemaelizondo
I notice that the Mac comunity in general has more problems than the PC comunity.

Not true

Darth Mole
03-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Mac.

Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac.

Mac.

Windows makes me weep with anger.

Jirapong
03-05-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm looking at Del $800 PC. It comes with 17" Flat panel and 2.8 GH. Ofcourse, graphic card and RAM needs to be upgrade. But, toal cost is still cheaper than G5. Also, I have Aura that came with my LW 2 years ago. Now it might be the time to use it. Also, I'm thinking to get 8 upgrade with DFX. After that that PC can be the 3d work station, while the others still on Mac because most software I have running on my G4.
It is not the platform thing. It's just the deal. Ihave been using only Mac both at work and home for 6 years. Now, I'm running LW 7.5 on 10,2,6 on G4 Powerbook without any problem(yeah slow). The reason to go to PC is only the deal. Also, having two kinds gives me more flexibiliti in the future if some day NT drop Mac or PC.

Bottom line, It's up to you.

Darth Mole
03-05-2004, 02:52 PM
But, dude... WINDOWS!!!!

Jirapong
03-05-2004, 03:14 PM
I know, but what's matter if you see only LW interface all the time.

eblu
03-05-2004, 03:18 PM
mac or windows?
for me... mac.

3-d less painful on windows? nope. not even close.

OpenGl is faster on a PC. But OpenGl is fast enough on every platform so that you can work in real time if you work smart, pretty much no matter what you are doing.

some things about LW are Un-MAC. I've found that this is not because of any bias from Newtek, just a lack of understanding/education. Some examples: UI, screamernet, workflow, and code optimization. hopefully Newtek will change, but even so, it hasn't been a deal breaker for most of us.

as an aside... you may see that the mac forum is full of problems, it is after all one of newtek's most popular forums. But what you also see is a rabid user to user help. the mac LW community is young, expanding and conscientious about helping new guys. PC LW has problems too, the forum just isn't as active about figuring them out.

js33
03-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Well I know all you guys are Mac centric but I have to say LW is better on the PC. I have both iMac and PC and never use LW on the Mac. Mainly because of the small 15" screen and the current problems with Panther and the slow 800 Mhz G4.

I use the Mac for GarageBand, DVDSP2, iPhoto, FCExpress, etc...as the Mac excels in those apps.

I say get both platforms then you have more choice and can have your own internal Mac vs PC struggle. Hehehehe

Cheers,
JS

riki
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Mac users get the girls :D

capt. vid
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Prior to recently diving into LW, I purchased a Mac G4 with dual !Ghz processors about 2 years ago for video editing. Up until that point I was a confirmed PC user. With video, especially long projects which require lots of memory and rendering time, I found the PC was very unstable and would frequently crash even during doing such a mundane activity as scrubbing the timeline. I was frustrated to no avail with this situation and took the plunge to the Mac. I still use the PC for static work like Photoshop, but anything with either video or motion I do on the Mac. I realize that there are less Mac plug ins and that some items may run simpler on a PC, but the Mac is stable and that has made all the difference in the world. I only wish I had the money for a G5 dual 2Ghz machine. It really flies.

Beamtracer
03-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Lightwave on Mac has a RAM advantage when run on the 64-bit G5.

Even though the current version of Lightwave is 32-bit (one day in the future it will be 64-bit), on a G5 it can have its entire 32-bit RAM allocation to itself. On any current Intel desktop machine (which are all 32-bit boxes), Lightwave must share its RAM with Modeler, Hub, any other running applications, and the OS.

So you can use more RAM on a 64-bit G5, even when you're running 32-bit software. This is very important.

A recent model of planet earth I was working with needed all this RAM to be able to run at all. So it doesn't matter how fast your machine is, if it won't load the scene you're working with.

Whatever you decide, go for a 64-bit machine. You may not need all that RAM all the time, but it is good to have for those times (like happened to me) where very large image maps are required in your 3D scene.

Newtek has also committed publicly to more Lightwave speed optimizations for Mac OS X.

MacDaddyKash
03-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by chemaelizondo

Surfing the internet is far better with a Mac but aparently hi-end 3d stuff is created in a less painful way on a PC.

Thanks.

JM

Really? Is that why they use G5's at Pixar?

toby
03-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by riki
Mac users get the girls :D

we do? :confused:
er, I mean of course we do!

Darth Mole
03-06-2004, 08:37 AM
The next iterations of the G5 and G6 are going to blow AMD and Intel away. There have been strories about how the impending 25% increase from 2GHz to 2.5 is a way bigger jump than anything the Wintel world can muster, and these CPUs are extremely scalabale. IBM have only just started...

LW is becoming increasingly Mac-friendly, and NewTek are - despite recent events - fully behind Mac development.

Mac OSX is years ahead of Windows in terms of security and stability, and is improving all the time. How long before Longhorn appears - and just how many security holes will it bring with it?

Also, I think OpenGL on Mac is only going to get better and better. I fully expect to see some proper, high-end cards appear before long.

In short, jump on the Mac bandwagon now and prepare for the future. It's going to be good!

JML
03-09-2004, 11:09 AM

mlinde
03-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by jmnewtek
I heard people saying windows has poor memory managment, well, that's funny but we did not have any memory problem since windows 98.
and it's also funny to hear that from a mac user when during a looong time
you had to tell manually how much memory each program could use.

also, people talk about PC problems, but one thing about PC is that you can create any kind of configuration which sometimes bring confilcts or unstable PC.
you can't compare a HP or compac PC with a dell or alienware PC..
a 500$ PC is not a good choice, spend like 1000 to 1500 to get a really good one. Memory management in OS 9 was based on a 20-year old architecture. OS X is completely different, you don't allocate memory as you did for the last 20 years on the Mac. In addition, OpenGL in OS 9 is barely out of beta, and will probably never go further, as it is a dead architecture. OpenGL on the Mac in OS X is a bottleneck. It seems to get better with each OS revision, but this is the root of the slower speeds you see for real-time refresh and redraw.

HP can make good workstation PCs, so can Dell, Alienware and Boxx make systems that are targeted for this market, not generalized workstations, so expect a different (higher) cost.

As I was one of the first replies, I still have the same answer, so I refer back to it.

JML
03-09-2004, 12:39 PM

Beamtracer
03-09-2004, 01:34 PM
OS9 and other old versions of Windows are irrelevant. I think Apple ceased any major development on it in 1999, maybe even earlier. We could go back to the days when Windows could only display 256 colors, but it's not relevant to today's discussion.

I disagree with Mr jmnewtek who says that Windows is better for large still images. Mac is better in this area, once again because of its memory management.

OS X can use more RAM than any currently released version of Windows on the desktop. As I said earlier, you can load larger scenes on a 64-bit G5 than you can with current 32-bit Windows systems. This is especially important when you have large still images to render. It doesn't matter how many megahertz a Windows box has if it can't load the scene at all!

As for speed, there's something that will affect speed much more than how many megahertz a processor has, and that's how optimized the software is.

LW7.5 was developed years before the G5 ever existed, so there has be zero optimization for the G5. However, Newtek has committed to using 'Xcode' to develop future versions of Lightwave.

Xcode is compiling software that programmers use to create their applications. It makes the application highly optimized for the Mac. Software developers everywhere are rushing to use Xcode to develop their software.

Watch the benchmarks change when Xcode developed programs start hitting the market.

Darth Mole
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
My apologies to jmnewtek for having a sense of humour and hoping to inject a bit of fun. Clearly, it was too much for dry PC sensibilities. I shall refrain from doing so again.

eblu
03-09-2004, 03:12 PM
like I said, with PC you need to put at least 1000 to get something good.
and boxx, alienware, hypersonic-pc and other PC builders are best.

i have to comment on this bit.
generally I am a believer of "you get what you pay for". I have in the past felt the pride of Apple desktops being more expensive than a comparable PC. I always felt that Apple products were better designed and manufactured than PC clones.

But now, things have changed. I still feel that macs are better designed and manufactured than PCs, but the price has evened out quite a bit. Mainstream PCs are at their lowest prices, because features are omitted, or lesser parts are installed. If you fill a PC with comparable parts with those in a mac, then you will see something very surprising. The PC will generally cost more.
And They don't seem to exist, Pcs don't offer many of the features offered in a G5, or if they do they are only the same on paper, with shoddy compatibility, poor design, and beta level drivers. Apple drives price down by including the premium components in Every machine, and thus guaranteeing volume sales for the part vendor. Cloners such as dell omit these features, and generally PAY MORE FOR THEM IF YOU WANT THEM, and they pass the cost along to you. And it gets better, since Apple uses Standard components, they are the same (high end) components found in PCs (for the most part) and when a Cloner buys parts in Bulk that Apple uses, it drives the price down for Apple even further. Apple has found a way to make the design and manufacture of G5s leverage the buying power of the PC cloning industry, and save money, while still offering features that the clone market shies away from.

you just can't get an IBM clone designed as tight as a mac, or as cost effective as a G5.

Now this isn't saying that LW is faster in the g5, but it does mean that PC desktops generally don't come with
serial ata, 5.1 on the Mobo, firewire800, the dvd-r drive, 64 bit pci slots, and digital optical audio in and out.

some of these features just don't exist in the pc world and some of them cost a premium and are poorly supported (such as dvd-r drives). Obviously an advantage of buying a pc over a mac, is choosing the components that you need and leaving the rest out, but if you want something that is tight, and works as advertised, get a G5.
Cost has become much less an issue than currently thought.

Ade
03-09-2004, 03:51 PM
optimising is better rthan mhz, go xeon.

toby
03-09-2004, 05:17 PM
mlinde

I know OS9 is old but i was referencing at the person who said windows
had a poor memory management.
windows 95 already had a fine memory management, a long time before mac.

I agree with most of what you said in your first post, I was really answering back at most of the other threads, "child threads".

You are coming to the Mac forum to 'correct' our opinions based on our experiences with PC's?? Don't start a flame war here, we're sick of it.

JML
03-09-2004, 05:36 PM

toby
03-09-2004, 05:50 PM
yea, he said "Mac without a doubt." I guess anyone who disagrees with you is "CHILDISH" and "UNPROFESSIONAL", because they don't write a whole page saying 'my computer does has this and doesn't need that' or 'my computer is better than yours' at the slightest oppurtunity. So by all means START A FLAME WAR.

So do you feel better, now that you've proclaimed your superiority? Wanna get the &#$! out of here now?

P.S. Don't insult people further by telling them to relax after you've INSULTED them.

JML
03-09-2004, 06:40 PM

toby
03-09-2004, 07:02 PM
'stupidity insulted you first'? An excuse to call people childish?

Like I said, I'm sick of this BS.

JML
03-09-2004, 07:10 PM
nevermind

Satchie
03-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Months before the G5's appeared, I decided to go for a dual Xeon box, and it notched around US$4500. to US$6800.00, and the highest cost was because I chose the componentes that were going to give me the same capacities of a top notch Mac, dvd burning, excellent audio card, some RAM, etc, etc.... but I had to cover a health emergency in my family, so... no money, months later, in November, I had some money to buy a dual G5 2.0 GHz, for the price you already know.... moral; don't go for PC's if you are a Mac user. The OS X will keep working for months, and our PC friends have had to face more viruses than those productivity can stand, is not their fault, you know whose fault is, talking about LW 7.5, well, that's Newtek's homework, not Apple's, Jobs and company are doing well their... job!

Ade
03-10-2004, 01:24 AM
As it stands Intel is the quickest for Lightwave as of today, so fast its amazing when compare to a mac.

G5 still doesnt win any benchmarks yet.

Darth Mole
03-10-2004, 03:28 AM
But surely it's not all about speed? I'm not always working at full tilt - the Mac is usually waiting for me, rather than the other way round.

I love the Mac's interface and the way it works: finding and moving files is easy; installing/uninstalling apps is childsplay (no WAY you can say that about a PC); personally, I prefer the way the Mac handles media files, too.

As an overall package, in terms of build quality, OS, bundled applications and general user experience - the Mac wins. It just does.

As I said earlier, the G5 may be lagging (slightly) behind the PC, but it's caught up massively in the last year, and - if all goes to plan - it'll overtake the PC in the next one.

This isn't a choice just for now, but for the next x years. I totally agree that, as of today, LW is better on a PC. I don't think it's going to stay that way forever, and I think the Mac is on the ascendency, which is why I'm happy to recommend it as a platform.

(I'm on my fifth Apple desktop, second laptop. I use PCs at work from time to time, and I abhor Windows - even the new-and-improved XP. I have no real axe to grind about Microsoft - I'd hate Windows if Apple made it. It amazes me that people are happy to work in such a tooth-grindingly unfriendly environment... IMHO)

Ade
03-10-2004, 03:43 AM
When your 5am in the morning and your render isnt coming the way u want and your forced to experiment, U NEED speed not ease of use.. Im sorry Im all mac but ths is the way it is..

In 3d MHZ matters...Then optimising. Not efficiency through UI.

Beamtracer
03-10-2004, 04:20 AM
The G5 is actually a much faster processor than anything that Intel can offer. The issue is that Lightwave 7.5 is not optimized for it.

This will change when Lightwave gets compiled on Xcode.

Darth Mole
03-10-2004, 06:07 AM
Um, yeah, I was gonna say that...

Lightwolf
03-10-2004, 07:24 AM
...which will happen after LW8 is released. When, no one knows...

So, currently the fastest set-up for LW still is a P4. I guess the cards will be shuffled once the next rev is released, which _might_ be X-coded on the Mac, and _might_ be x86-64 compatible on the PC.

Cheers,
Mike - oops, I'm in the Mac forum again ;)

eblu
03-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
...which will happen after LW8 is released. When, no one knows...

So, currently the fastest set-up for LW still is a P4. I guess the cards will be shuffled once the next rev is released, which _might_ be X-coded on the Mac, and _might_ be x86-64 compatible on the PC.

Cheers,
Mike - oops, I'm in the Mac forum again ;)

and Its pretty much a crap shoot, just how much work will be done on LW to optimize under xcode, and just how much benefit we'll see. end users' wild predictions always seem to come back to bite them.

I personally feel that the g5 Could be the best processor currently for rendering. but as of right now, nobody even knows how to optimize rendering code for it, so it takes a beating from chip-sets with less overall ability (some measly little P3s render faster in LW than the dual 2.0 G5). Its a huge undertaking to expect LW to get right to the finnish line in such a short order.

look for minor speed increases slowly over the course of regular upgrades to LW. This is a "Best case scenario" where Newtek maintains vigilance and interest in MAC dev.

mlinde
03-10-2004, 08:57 AM
For many Windows based animators in houses with IT guys, a new problem has arisen. The IT team has banned any attachments to emails with .zip extension. The reason is the vast number of .zip attachments that are viruses circulating the net lately. This is an annoyance at best for those who often send .zip files around, although there is an alternative compressed format that can be used (RAR, or something, I can't remember right now). The massive onslaught of email borne viruses on Windows systems and the difficulty M$ has in overcoming each one before it's a public disturbance is, in it's own way, a drawback to using Windows. I know plenty of people who have just removed their workstations from the network completely to avoid this, and have a second machine for web/email access. So, potentially, you actually need two PCs if you are getting into this and want (or need) to run Windows...

Lightwolf
03-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Actually, people that just unzip _any_ attachement, especially password protected ones should be banned from computers anyhow ;) Just like people that send self extracting archives :p
Not really a problem with a decent mail client and common sense though.
Cheers,
Mike - oops, I should keep out of this ;)

Scott Gammans
03-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by mlinde
The IT team has banned any attachments to emails with .zip extension.My employer (which is 100% Windoze) did the same thing. As a workaround, if we need to send a zipfile to someone we have to change the file extension to something else (e.g., *.ziw) before attaching the file, and then we have to tell the e-mail recipient that "files.ziw" is really "files.zip"!

What a load.

toby
03-10-2004, 02:00 PM

Mike - oops, I should keep out of this ;)

No need to keep out of this, you're not putting anyone down -

Intel renders faster than the G5, but workflow is slower with Windows. OpenGL is faster in Windows, but on the Mac it's smoother and consistent (no 'trails' or blank white windows). High-end graphics are available for PC, but so are viruses.

I think with the platforms as they are now, it's close enough to decide based mostly on personnal preference-

Whaddya think?

nawDsign
03-10-2004, 03:14 PM
I've been working on a PowerMac 7500/100Mhz since I bought it in 1996 without any problems hardware wise. Still runs like a charm although, pretty darn loud. Software wise, OS9 can be a little bothersome and lightwave crashes often, lack of RAM. When I upgraded my processor and OS to OSX it felt like a new machine. It still sits on my desk and I still use it after I bought my G5 in October. Macs are built to last. I love them.

My dad has a built-your-own-pc P4 2ghz, 1gig of ram, ati 64mb, windows xp, and my experince with it is .. can't move around as easily as I can on the mac. Wasn't very productive on it. Looking for files is madness on the pc. He bought the computer last year and already he's having hardware issues.

Just my experience. If you ask for my opinion.. I'd say go with the mac. the choice is yours.

Johnny
03-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Aside from whether LW works better on Mac or PC, there are the nasty, stinky aspects of maintaining windows.

I have friends who moan and scream about security patches, updates, etc, which take hours to download. The same experience on a Mac is quicker and easier. Plus, Macs are more secure to begin with, so you end up having to download fewer security updates, and they're small downloads.

Plus, m$ view of how you should interact with their OS, or with things going on within it is so protectionist and constipated as to add another layer of grief on top of whatever deadlines or creative issues you're already trying to gain control of.

To me, not a bargain, even if the initial cost of the box is $800, or whatever deals are offered.

J

Lightwolf
03-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by toby
No need to keep out of this, you're not putting anyone down -

Well, o.k., in that case I'll comment ;)

Intel renders faster than the G5, but workflow is slower with Windows. OpenGL is faster in Windows, but on the Mac it's smoother and consistent (no 'trails' or blank white windows).

Trails? Blank white windows? I do have problems whenever I use way too much memory and the machine swaps like crazy, but other than that, I haven't seen anyhting like that. And my main machine is definetely not up to snuff (4 year old Dual P3)...
...Can't wait for my new box though :)

High-end graphics are available for PC, but so are viruses.
Which is true, but then again, if Macs had the same popularity, you'd have the same problems. Don't let too many people buy Macs, as long as you're a niche, your safe.
Oh, and as far as security is concerned, server-wise just as many *ix (unix, linux, bsd, whatever) boxes get hacked as do windows based servers. You have holes in any system out there, the question is whether it is "worthwhile" for a hacker to exploit them (after all, even Apple posts security fixes, and not a few either).

I think with the platforms as they are now, it's close enough to decide based mostly on personnal preference-

Whaddya think?
Absolutely.

Cheers,
Mike

Scott Gammans
03-11-2004, 10:43 AM
How about PC and Mac? For interactive use I use LightWave on my Apple G5, but for unattended ScreamerNet usage my renderfarm is four Intel P4's in my basement. This way, I get the best of both worlds--ease of use with the G5, cheap per-CPU rendering with the Intel farm.

Jirapong
03-11-2004, 10:53 AM
I agree with Scott. The competitive market is good for consumers, unless those need to stick with only one thing and bind themself.

toby
03-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Trails? Blank white windows? I do have problems whenever I use way too much memory and the machine swaps like crazy, but other than that, I haven't seen anyhting like that.

Yes you have, when you drag a window in LW on any PC, you get a trail, and no refresh until you let up.

There are all kinds of things like this that you guys are apparently used to, don't be surprised that we're not.

Lightwolf
03-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Yes you have, when you drag a window in LW on any PC, you get a trail, and no refresh until you let up.
No I don't, then again I don't have any fancy UI options active either, they just waste cycles ;)
Cheers,
Mike - who needs full window drag anyhow?

toby
03-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Well you know what I'm talking about then.

You may be able to provide solutions to all these shortfalls, but they still show how crude Windows is compared to OSX.

And considering how much power and resources MS has, there's no excuse - the 5 year old computer I use at home works better than the almost new PC I use at work, and I haven't had to reconfigure or turn off a single thing - as a matter of fact, I never installed the OS that I'm using, it was copied from my old hard drive 9 months ago. At work, I am forced to restart every day or have problems, while at home I don't shut down or restart more than once in 2-4 weeks (including when I didn't have a job, making a demo reel), and it's usually to swap a drive or power outage or something - never to keep it from acting up.

Again, you can tell me all you want what 'should' be done with the PC I'm using, but there's no way a system can work worse on a much newer computer and be considered as good a system as one that works better on such an old computer. Windows on this PC has everything going for it (age, speed) and it still works worse.

Lightwolf
03-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Well you know what I'm talking about then.
Actually I didn't until you told me, when I switched on the option for fun.
My mileage is/was a lot different than yours I guess, I keep my PC on all the time and hardly ever restart it (once every couple of weeks or so), and I have heavy loads on it. So far I've had more problems with Macs than with PCs, even though I find the G5 to be tempting, but a bit pricey for what it delivers for my needs.
Cheers,
Mike - who's actually working on a five year old computer :p

kyfsu00
03-12-2004, 12:29 PM
what about all the fun windows updates we windows users have to do? and dodging viruses? and blue screens? windows is much more fun to work with, could be a surprise every second!

Lightwolf
03-12-2004, 12:38 PM
You mean like the updates Macs have to do as well?
As for viruses, I've never had one on my PC so far (knock on wood, heck I had more on my Amiga), and I haven't seen a blue screen for ages (actually, the only time I see one is when I shut down our server once a year or so, and that's because it doesn't like the KVM).
Cheers,
Mike

jro2a
03-12-2004, 02:45 PM
It's too bad there can't be one system thats best HANDS DOWN
in all ways. I'm getting a laptop soon for a project. Between
Mac and PC it's a tough choice. I'm waiting for the G5 PowerBooks to see which way I'll go. My decision would be
easier if LW supported the PPC better.

Jim R.

toby
03-12-2004, 02:49 PM

My mileage is/was a lot different than yours I guess,

This has been my experience with all the PC's I've used at 3D school and at work, or anywhere. It's not a problem with the machines or the configuration, it's Windows.

MS is 10 times bigger than Apple, and they don't design system hardware - shouldn't Windows, especially the 'Pro' versions, be clearly superior, if not 10 times, or at least twice as good as OSX?

chemaelizondo
03-12-2004, 03:40 PM
When I first posted the question regarding wich platform to use, my intention was to make an educated choice when buying the required hardware for LW 7.5 wich should be arriving next week.

I posted this question on both Foruns LW-Mac and LW-PC taking the risk of having people making statements based on pride rether than honest experience.
I got a lot of responses like that, but still some people (Mostly Mac users) had trully inteligent points to make, based on careful examination instead of prejudice against the other.

I've been a Mac user most of my life and apparently I'll stay that way. even though some one did a good remak regarding working on both platforms to get the best of both worlds.

Still my resources are limited so I'll start with my Laptop G3 and I'll move up to G4 or G5 as my needs evolve.

Thank you very much for your coments, I hope soon I'll be posting some cool rendering to share with you guys.

KeithJ
03-12-2004, 05:14 PM
I've used macs ever since they first came out . But I switched over to PC as my primary for lightwave. Why.. well I have a G3 but LW 7.5 really stuggles on this so I decided I needed a new machine. When I came to buy one, the main criteria I looked at was the price. The PC won.... It was less than HALF THE PRICE and I was able to customise it to have exactly the graphics, ram, etc. that I needed.

It would be nice to have a brand new G5, just like it would be nice to have a Rolls Royce but I think it boils down to one simple thing. How deep are your pockets?

Keith

Oh BTW.. it seems that there are much more free LS and plugins for the PC platform too.