PDA

View Full Version : Can you do trippy effects? Please help me!!!

focus3d
03-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Okay, no idea how I have done this but I have landed myself a rather nice job of creating some 'visuals' as a backdrop for Laurent Garnier playing at a big festival here in the UK.

Now my modelling skills aren't too bad and I can animate, surface and light to an intermediate level. One thing I have never done however is create eye candy for eye candy's sake. I have to create some trippy visuals to go along with his set.

Basically I am looking for some tips and tricks to create eye candy, you know random patterns and liquidy effects and any other stuff that 4000 people full of drugs will enjoy!

Any help is greatly appreciated as I REALLY need to make a good job of this.

peace

focus3d

wacom
03-05-2004, 10:21 AM
If you own DF or DFX+ then a good place to start is with the "trails" tool. It can create almost any 1960-80's video effect. If you want cheese it'll let you go all the way...used with a little more "pee-nache" it can create some eye candy.

Try outputting your animations with channel id's on everything too- and then do seperate animated animated zoom blurs etc. on the diffrent channels...

Run your stills through PhotoShop using diffrent filters using scripts...

Get a copy of the songs and use the Audio Channel driver in the Graph editor to drive things...If you can isolate the "rythm" tracks it will help...

Those are just some ideas...basicly you need to almost ditch you sense of taste!

By a copy of that DDR game to see just how bad you might need your taste to be...

themaxx
03-05-2004, 11:07 AM
you can do some interesting things with displacement maps and world coordinates. wormhole effects, etc.

Noclar7
03-05-2004, 12:41 PM
You need to get an app like this:

http://www.resolume.com/index.php

or

http://www.motiondive.com/

---

then, I would recommend getting ahold of some of the music this is going to be synced with and start from there.

agv
03-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Here is an inexpensive program that does some pretty wacky particle effects:

http://www.wondertouch.com/

It has a ton of very bizarre presets that you can download and you can see the effects in realtime. Mind you, it doesn't do true 3D particles like Lightwave, but it's extremely easy and fast to create the drug trip look. Good luck!

prospector
03-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Use the Bkgrnd in LW....
Just give it a texture (many to choose from)
and keep the 1 color black

I like the fractal effect with tighter bands (like marble)
giving each a different color
then in Aura or the VT I remove the plack
now you can fade 1 color to another
after so many frames it will repeat (different setting are different lenghts, but the default will repeat somewhere around 375 or so)
find the repeating frame and it would be a good time to fade.

Some other tricks is to make a flat black ball (sub'D) and put it front of another color ball (a neon color is nice) and animate the flat black going thru the color ,(away from the camera) and if you make the black a size that you can't see the color in the camera,and as the black goes thru the color, resize so that you can see just the edge, it will make a perfect ring that grows from the edge towards the center as the black ball goes thru.
This is all with a black bkgrnd of course.
then ya might layer that with the squiglies from the previous example (the fractal)

And if yaa jump it back and forth (passing thru and coming back),
it will look like the rings in a Jimmy Hendricks film:D

Ya know the ones , the rings of color that grow and shrink really slow then speed up;)

Jockomo
03-05-2004, 03:33 PM
This may give you some inspiration.
There's nothing trippier than the Grateful Dead :)

Candice Brightman's Website (http://www.anarchi.com/projects/gd1.html)

focus3d
03-08-2004, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the tips and tricks guys, anyone got any more?

I'd really like to do a kind of dancing waveform thing, like a graphic equaliser. As if it comes out the darkness every time it oscillates, and returns to black when there is no noise.

agv
03-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Trapecode makes a few plug-ins for After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Discreet Combustion 3 that might do what you want. The specific plug-ins I'm thinking of are Sound Keys used with 3D Stroke. Take a look at their demo video to see what I mean.

Go to: http://www.trapcode.com. Good luck!

scottn
03-08-2004, 09:33 AM
You can get some great surreal liquid in zero G effects by using hypervoxels. By default you should get some lava lamp looking stuff but by tweaking your surface texture settings and playing with luminosity and transparecy and refraction, you can get some really rich effects.

Of course you could always throw some real world objects in for effect every now and then. Like: flying over the sea - done quite easily with a flat blue plane and the crumple texture. Or: some glass spheres of differnt colours interacting with some reflective chrome sphears.

david_B
03-13-2004, 05:55 AM
An effect I used a while ago went something like this:

1. With a video camera, go and film some stuff. It can be pretty much anything, but this effect works best with something large centre of screen. I used close ups of people smiling, but large trees, buildings... if you can get your hands on some time lapse footage, this would be great. You want things to move. Filming out the front of a moving car would be another easy sequence to get.

2. Capture the footage, up the contrast so it looks washed out and export it as a .bmp or .tga sequence.

3. Set up a big flat plane in layout. This will serve as our screen.

4. Set up three spotlights to shine directly on to the flat plane. Have one light set up in the centre as you would a movie projector. The other lights can come in a different angles.

5. Make volumetric lighting active on all 3 lights, then apply the image sequence to all of the lights.

6. Set the two side lights to rotate about randomly across the flat plane.

7. Place the camera to be looking directly at the plane.

8. Render away my friend.

You can add to the effect by doing such things as changing the light colour, the colour of the flat plane, applying the image sequence as a bump map on the flat plane, adding more lights with different image sequences attached, all kinds of stuff. The 'ultimate' effect is to then import the final rendered files to replace the original sequence attached to the spotlights and re-render. This is in fact getting lightwave to re-render what it just rendered, or in other words making lightwave eat its own excrement. I can say excrement on TV, right?

Another 'trippy' effect - fur.

If you have a full version of sasquatch, get some balls of multi coloured fur flying about the screen. Drugged up bunnies l'll love it.

Or you can go the motion designer route. Have a few blobby blobs made of jelly smashing into one another. Wow.

Well, sounds like an awesome job. Making eye candy is great, because there practically are no wrong answers. As long as it all looks cool, right?