PDA

View Full Version : Could VT[3] record DVD directly?

Cauchy
03-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Without 3rd party conversion software?

And I read article about the interview of Area 51 ( http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/profiles/DonMcCoy/index.html )

Don McCoy said VT[3]'s DVD authoring programs, I don't quit understand his meanings, I am not a english speaker. So could anyone elso do me favour to explain this feature to me?

and what Don McCoy said is: "Another cool feature I admire is the new support for DVD authoring programs. Prior to VT[3] you had to take your RTV file and run it through a conversion program, now you donít have to! By saving your project to an AVI wrapper, you can go into your DVD authoring package and tell it this is your AVI folder, you would then take your entire project, load it into any application that can read an AVI and it will see it, play it back and itís done! I was blown away by this. "

I am confused, If you want to record DVD, you must have a ".mpg" file, right?

And which DVD authroring software could record .AVI file into DVD with good imaging quality? I mean it is better use mpg file to record DVD?

Rich Deustachio
03-05-2004, 09:11 AM
What he means is that you don't have to render the whole project to one avi file as you did in VT2. In VT3 you can either save the project as an avi or you can use the built in plug-in and import your regular project into TEMPGenc for encoding to mpeg2. If you are using an authoring program to encode to mpeg2 you would use the Save project As avi choice.

kleima
03-05-2004, 05:44 PM
No, you cannot render direcly to MPEG2 from the VT[3]. But, most DVD authoring or MPEG rendering software can read an AVI. Prevdiously you would have render from RTV to AVI and then from AVI to MPEG2. Now, all you have to do is save a project as an AVI (even if all the clips are RTV) and the project is instantly "wrapped" as an AVI so that your encoding software can read it and encode from AVI to MPEG2.

donlmccoy
03-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Cauchy,
I just read this so I am going to respond to it now
I hope you like the interview it was a fun to do.

I made the comment on DVD authoring because I have been trying many different way of making DVD's.
I have a hardware Mpg2 encoder as well as software Mpg2 encoders. All the processes take time as in using the hardware mpg2 encoder or a software encoder.

So with that said this is what my process has been before Avi wrapping in VT3.

Process 1:
Hardware encoding steps

Step 1: Edit footage on VT3
Step 2: play back footage realtime from vt3 while encoding it with hardware mpg2 encoder.
Step 3: Load this mpg2 file into DVD autoring program like (DVD complete, or DVD workshop)
Step 4: Setup menus and links to mpg2 files
Step 5 Burn DVD

Process 2:
Software encoding steps

ardware encoding steps
Step 2: Render your edited footage from VT3 to a RTV file or AVI file
Step 2: Use TMPG software to encode RTV or AVI file to mpg2 file
Step 3: load this mpg2 file into DVD autoring program like (DVD complete, or DVD workshop)
Step 4: Setup menus and links to mpg2 files
Step 5 Burn DVD

Process 3:
VT3 Wrapper steps
Step 2: Save your Project as a AVI using these steps in the pull down menu in VTEdit (Project/Save as/File type/.AVI (NO RENDERING) also the first time you save your edited project this way you will be amazed at how fast it saves this file)(this is called Wrapping you Project as a Avi (AVI WRAPPER)
Step 3: load this wraped avi file into DVD autoring program like (DVD complete, or DVD workshop)
Step 4: Setup menus and links to avi wrapped files
Step 5 Burn DVD (at this stage your DVD autoring program will use its built in mpg2 encoder and you can set your quality level of your mpg2 file.

Now process 3 to me is awsome
1. Because your go right to your dvd autoring program and start setting up your DVD menus and let the software encode for you at the end.
2. You are only using 2 programs instead of 3 like in other processes.

Sometimes if you can reduce the amount of steps to complete a task then it is eaiser on you.

Not only can you use the wrapped avi file for DVD autoring but you can use this file in other programs that use avi's

hope this helps out
Don L. McCoy
-Area51-

kleima
03-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Take note:
This "wrapped" AVI cannot be transfered to a different machine, because it is pointing to the original assets. So, if you want to make use of this option, your encoding software must be on the same machine as your VT.

robewil
03-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Don,

You didn't include the ability for TMPGEnc to directly read a VT3 project and encode to MPEG2. Eugene and others, I believe, have remarked that you get better quality MPEG2 files this way over using your authoring software to encode a wrapped avi. Since VT3 came out, this is the only way I've created MPEG2 files and have been very satisfied with the results.

ScorpioProd
03-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Yes, I would recommend using TMPGEnc and having it read the project directly from the VT[3] for the MPEG-2 encoding.

TMPGEnc does higher quality MPEG-2 encoding than most authoring applications can do.