PDA

View Full Version : if F_Prime does this one....

Hervé
03-05-2004, 01:46 AM
if F_Prime does this one.... in no time, I'll be so happy...
BTW, do U think I could sell that spanish antique chair..? or is it looking cheap sh(i)t..?

merci:)

RAZ
03-05-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
do U think I could sell that spanish antique chair..? or is it looking cheap sh(i)t..?

and the difference is what?:D

Hervé
03-05-2004, 02:03 AM
so I guess it does not look anything huh...?

aaaww well..:(

RAZ
03-05-2004, 02:13 AM
It's doing a very convincing job of looking like a chair on a patch of sasquatch grass. Congrats on varing the model so it looks used and on figuring out DOF. Your a wonderous star, BIG HUG....nay....A BIG GROUP HUG.....yeah...there ya go.

Hervé
03-05-2004, 02:16 AM
maybe a wireframe will do...

Kuzey
03-05-2004, 02:58 AM
I'm not sure about f.prime but that's one fantastic chair!!

Kuzey

Hervé
03-05-2004, 01:22 PM
closer:cool:

RAZ
03-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey, that looks great. Is this just an exercise for fun or a job?

otacon
03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Nice textures!

agv
03-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Fantastic textures...looks completely photorealistic! Any chance of sharing your secrets to making that wood look so real?

etobiason
03-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Beautiful chair. Looks and feels like real wood!

:confused: What am I talking about?

Really, great modeling and texturing. The chair blows the grass away. Is the grass too...light?

pdrake
03-06-2004, 12:19 AM
nice textures. i was going to say that i'd pay $10 on turbosquid for it, if i needed it, but after seeing the textures, i would pay at least $25. seriously.

good job on the wood.

Hervé
03-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Hey, thanks a lot for the nice reply...

I am using Hypersmooth for the wood reflections (very blurred) + a special gradient that removes any dark stuff in the scene from been reflected...

Yeah the grass is maybe too bright...

Thanks again...!;)

veljko
03-06-2004, 01:58 AM
the scene setup realy does not do the chair justice- I would prefer to see it on a simple backdrop and some nice soft shadows- If it was me i would just make one plane that would be gradiently disapating in the horizon and place the chair on it with radiosity turned on-
or some setup like that-
the texturing of the wood is KILLER!

blow me away-

:)

btw- "hypersmooth"?- a plugin?
if so- URL please:)?

Hervé
03-06-2004, 02:19 AM
Thhhaaanks a lot !! OK you're right, I'll do a simple plane... maybe a dark color...?

The URL is
http://www.evasion3d.com/hs_intro.html

Check the gallery... stuning...

Ok, now we need shaders to be F_Prime compliant...

Cheers

pdrake
03-06-2004, 02:46 AM
okay, i just have to say that $300 for a plugin just to make your chair look good is a bit much.

maybe you should look into evasion for them to buy the chair and include it in their cd.

their plugin looks great, but i haven't found a need for it yet. simply because my clients have been happy.

if my work were multipied by the detail and beauty that this gives them i'd probably get more clients.

it would be great if evasion included a cd of models and example scenes with the purchase.

i have enough money to justify a $300 purchase right now, fprime or hypersmooth.

well, i think about what will make my workflow better at this point as i'm working on 1 million poly scenes. if it included extras, i would budget it for my next purchase.

blah, blah, blah. nobody's listening anyway.

Hervé
03-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Every body is listening to you, dear, and money is never a key, what am I saying here... ah well... no in fact you're right , if you're concerned about having work done, err... F_prime is THE way, I'll get F_prime also... I guess other plugin dev. will have to make heir toys F_Prime compatible.... the famous SDK opening... Sézame, ... Ouvres-toi..... tadada... music Maestro !!!:cool:

Darttman
03-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Herv'e

I would say this is a chair from a museum. Modeling and textures are very good. The wood textures are awesome and the brass tacks are well done! I think it shows when someone pays attention to detail and does some research.
As for some very minor things I noticed. The nice crisp edge on the wood carving where obvious wear would occur from everyday use like the arms, bottom area and stretchers between the front legs. The leather back shows wear in the center but is some how not quite "worn" enough. Is the grain on the end of the arm flowing? or should it be end grain?
Now granted I notice little things as it is my eyes that are used to minute detail. I hope I am not too critical but I think your level of work very refined! someday I will get up to your speed ;)
It shows you have good reference material or a very good memory. Place this old chair on a nice piece of wool burbour carpet and leave some cigar ashes on the floor lol

It is a good plugin though for nice rich rendering.

well done!

Tosk
03-06-2004, 04:25 PM
The "arm holder" is fantastic, how is modeled?
I can't figure out...

kenmac
03-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Hey Hervé,
Do you think FPrime is going to take care of the flickering problem?
Ken Mac

CiaranM
03-06-2004, 09:13 PM
What flickering problem?

Hervé
03-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the super nice replies...

Darttman, can you explain to me a litle more about the grain... I dont understand about end of grain....? Expalin like U would to a 10 years old kid :D , You are right about the worn stuff, it should look more used, but I wanted to show that chair at first to have appreciation, now that I know people like it,I am going to make it real,the most I can , still a lot of work...

I've made a nice silk carpet for it...

Tosk, basically...

I've modelled point/point methos the side of the arm, flat, but counting the points needed afterwards to shape it as a snail, but before extruding, made a UV map, then extruded it, with new UV map, then shaped the roundness curvature of the different "rings", then Mirrored it, last textured it ... was not obvious, you have to plan all in advance. if you dont understand, tell me, I'll try to put a little something here...

Kenmac, Hey how are you doing..? well I thing a big part of the flickering problem is going to be gone, as F_prime is apparently using a much better AA solution, Look the jags. pic on Worley's site, the F_Prime shines ! This is going to be my first wish, Ken...!

CiairanM, we're talking about the flickering that occurs in LW animation, where you have bump maps especially...!

Let's cross our fingers...!:D

Darttman
03-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Herve,

The more I think about the model and surfacing the more I realize how much work it took to make that chair.
As for end grain, I notice little things about wood because I carve wildlife sculptures quite a bit. The end grain I noticed that the close up of the front chair arm has the scroll work that coils around the end. Typically when you carve something like this you use one piece of wood in which the grain flows the length of the arm but the end of the arm where it curls around into a circle would show "end grain". So long fibers of the wood run with the arms length and short end fibers would not flow like the long fibers do. I'll dig up a reference pict for you.

Hervé
03-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Hummmm, very intersting, I did not think about.... prety diificult to do.... I'll try to see what I can do... so yes in fact the grian should flow along the arms chair , but when the coil starts to curve, grian should not follow, but stops... I should maybe try to modify the UV Map....

Thanks a lot..

Darttman
03-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Herve,

Sorry to make you pull your hair out...

I seem to be cursed with noticing little details, oh well maybe this is what keeps me from attempting real life detailed objects like your chair. Sometimes the "simple" things are the hardest to make look just right.

I could'nt figure out how to post an image or I would have shown you some long and end grain from some wood. I think depending on the species it will vary but typically hardwood has longer compact grain and softwoods are more open shorter grain and the varying markings are growth or sap rings. There is actually a a book of "woods of the world" in press. Maybe you could find it at a local library it has very nice photos of all species in it.

rbnz
03-08-2004, 09:49 PM
most impressive. i agree about the grass meing a little wrong, maybe make a little deck and have a darker mood ( dusty maybe ? ) or even an attic.

nice wood textures, maybe i'm seeing it wrong but the grains wrong. the side and the top are in different directions.

Matt
03-09-2004, 02:21 AM
Very good texturing Herve!

I know what you're saying though, if F_Prime worked with Sasquatch / Hypersmooth / X-DOF etc. we'd all be in heaven!

Maybe after enough user base have upgraded to 8 Worley can start making F_Prime work well into the SDK.

The only problem I see is that it appears F_Prime is a replacement render engine for LW, it's taking _data_ from LW but not using any of it's render algorithms, hence why it can speed up all the routines.

For F_Prime to speed up those plugins Worley would either need access to their source code or to simulate what they do enough to give you the preview (which is what it does now).

Hervé
03-09-2004, 03:25 AM
Hello back.... Darttman, the texture was scanned from an antique cabinet made out of oak... for now I am just waiting F_Prime and improving Photoshop Text and spec maps...

RBNZ, I am going to do other render with different backgrounds.... I have modelled the main Room of Rembrandt's House in Amsterdam from plan and views, but for now with all the textures, the reflections (I am doing only specular reflections) on almost all objects, some with heavy blur, all with HyperSmooth... this is why I would love Hypersmooth to be supported by F_Prime, I've e-mailed Ivan Klimo from 3D Evasion to ask him about his plugin been compatble with F_Prime, and he said the LW SDK is too skimpy for that...:D

Hervé
03-09-2004, 03:27 AM
forgot.... Matt , thanks first.... well do U think it could be possible..?

But.... then Evasion should make a special version of their plugins...?

Later;)

Darttman
03-09-2004, 04:47 AM
Ahem..Cigar ashes?

lol

looks good!

Matt
03-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Well Herve I'm no coder, and I'm only guessing how F_Prime works, but I'm pretty sure it ain't tapping into LWs actual render code and doing something spicy with it, but using all of LW's 'inputs' to supply it's own render engine which is super fast.

Which is why it won't support third party plugins, even if it could 'get to them' though the SDK.

I'm pretty sure that's what it's doing, could be wrong though!

:)

stefuse
03-09-2004, 12:40 PM
hi hervé, salut hervé !

nice job !really nice textures...
and in fact i love cultural and historical pictures rendering ..it's so warm and full of historical....:confused:

well...welll....really nice done !!!

next step...the room ! come on !

;)

see you later

the french lillois man

stefuse from art'fx studio

.................................................. ......

www.artfx-studio.com

Hervé
03-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks Stefuse, I'll do the room... in fact it's done, but I have more texturing to do....

Do You have a LW community around Lille...?

(un peu comme aux US, avec meetings and stuff...)

I wanted to make a 3D community here in Luxembourg.. but 3D is soooo small here....

I think, but last time I checked it was.... I think I am the only LW in this country...

There is a guy that does archi viz stuff here, but he 's using a (believe it or not) full XSI version.... ha ha...:D

Cheers (ŕ la tienne !)
@+

stefuse
03-10-2004, 12:00 AM
hi herve !

in fact there's no LW forum in Lille:( ....
i follow the LW community by this link :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lw3d/

i have links and responses to my technicals questions sometimes by this way.

but you're right LW links i france are missing.....tooo bad.

If you want we can continue to write each others to exchange avices, tips ad so on..
;)

my mail :[email protected]

see you later

may the wave be with you !:cool:

Hervé
03-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Hey Stefuse, I've collected your e-mail...

Here is mine

[email protected]

;) :D

Intuition
03-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey Herve.

I almost bought Hypersmooth but haven't found a specific need for it even though I would love to use it on my hobby pics if no work required it.

I did purchase shadow designer and I love it.

Also might get the spectrum as well. Even though I have no use for these plug ins yet I find them fun to play with.

I do have G2 by worley and it does great reflection blurring and has the best fresnel sufacing in lightwave available.

Great chair, hope to see more of it.

pat-lek
03-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Hervé, if you want, here is a french board for Lightwave...

http://www.frenchwave.org/Forums/

A small french Lightwave communoty, but growing slowly but surely...