PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help for a newbie

DS613
03-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Still a litle new here I created this object with a retangle, made two pipes boolean operation Add, then merged the points. then copied the object scaled and stretched. I can seem to make a polygon for the sides shown

hijacker
03-04-2004, 09:50 PM
select 4 points at a time and press p to make poly, you may need to flip the poly (f key) depends on how you select points

hope this helps

martyn

newagetitan
03-05-2004, 11:44 AM
hijacker is correct. You essentially have a hole. I prefer not to push commercial plugins, but this is where I would delete the inner cylinder and use HD PumpIt on the other one.

bloontz
03-05-2004, 12:29 PM
There are a couple of free plugins that will do most of what pumpit will do. Look for Thickener on www.flay.com.

ACLOBO
03-05-2004, 12:42 PM
building each polygon point by point will work (Hijacker's suggestion). However, with a simple object like this, it might be better to make one face of the ovoid object. then bevel in the thickness you want. Delete the inner polygon and extrude the existing face (with thickness).

Modeling just takes a little time and observation. There is no need to go and buy HD-pumpit (which I have) or use another free one like thickener. I think if you just give a little thought to the modeling process beforehand. Believe me when I say you need to struggle and experiment a little before relying on plug-ins. You will be a better modeler for it. :D

Ok here is how you do it quick and easy without plugins.

1. Make a solid polygon in the shape you need.

2. Bevel (inset) it to the thickness you require.

3. Bevel the new inner polygon again (no inset or shift) and delete it.

4. The remaining polygon will be the 'thickness' polygon you need.

5. Extrude it along the axis perpendicular to the polygon to get the 3d shape.

-Adrian

ACLOBO
03-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Also forgot to mention. If you can find it (if still available). Ron Thorton (of Babylon 5 fame) had a series of tapes. I bought them a long time ago and the one on modeling really opened my eyes to polygonal modeling. After watching this tape, you would see that you can make just about everything with very FEW tools. Those tapes were the best lightwave related investment I ever made. They were put out by desktop images - dunno if they are still doing stuff or not - have not bought any tapes in a long time.

-Adrian

:)

prospector
03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
isn't there a plug-in that if you pick 2 points, it will go along and pick all the points in that row?

ACLOBO
03-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Yes there is such a plug-in and i find it very useful. It is part of a plug-in pack that I think is pretty good. The Author is David Ikeda or something like that - good stuff. It is called "di2 select loop." It can be found at Flay.com and the pack is called.....

"ikedalw_win"

-Adrian

bloontz
03-05-2004, 03:28 PM
You can't download Ikeda's tools any longer as Newtek bought them for inclusion in LW8 but there are a couple of others. I think OES_Lt will do it, http://www.pictrix.jp/index2.html

prospector
03-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Yea, I keep tryin it but all it says is "No edges found in selection"

bloontz
03-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Do you have more than one layer selected? I think I get that if I have more than.

prospector
03-05-2004, 04:27 PM
tried the Pictrix and it comes up Line 47, attempt tp access undeclared array points

:mad:

And the others
select point chain A and F
say same thing except they are line 49

:mad: :mad:

prospector
03-05-2004, 04:31 PM
OOPS:rolleyes:
yep had body layer and bone layer

Nevermind :D

Tho the Pictrix ones are still the same

But Ikeda works now:)

DS613
03-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Wow that is the best help I have had yet Thank you, it worked perfectly I had to get use to bevel :) here is a nother quesion for you ... in order for me to make that curved box I had to make a square and two circles then merge points and delet points. is there an easier way to do this?

DS613
03-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I forgot to add my image

ACLOBO
03-06-2004, 01:17 PM
I understand being a newbie. I remember when I first bought lightwave. It sat on my shelf for a few weeks as I didn't even know where to begin.

I am glad that I could be of assistance. I would be happy to help you with your question on an easier way to model the shape you wanted. However, in the future, I would like to know that you are a legitimate user of lightwave. I am not implying that you are a pirate, just that I have ran into some - I student taught lightwave at a college for a semester and was amazed at how many expected copies of the software to be furnished to them as part of the class.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a legitimate user for now. Just be warned that any further questions will require me to quiz you on your manual! :-)

Ok, in building the geometry easier, you simply have to look at what you are doing now.

As a new user, I can understand your thinking about your shape. You look at what you want and break it down - 2 circles and a box gives you the general shape you want. However, as you pointed out, then you have to do some deletion and merging of points. There is an easier way. If you take 2 HALVES of a circle, and have them spread apart the distance you need, you get the same shape you are after - right?

Lightwave has a tool called "kill polygons." The default key for this is "k." So, get two circles of the same size, move them out the distance from each other you need and then kill the polygons. You will be left with just points. Select and delete the inner points that aren't needed. Then in order, select the points until you have played "connect the dots" and have all of them highlighted. Hit "p" for make polygon and you will have a single polygon in the beginning shape you need. Refer to the first picture from my first response to this post. Then just follow the steps I outlined from there and you will get your object.

:-)

Happy modeling.

-Adrian

DS613
03-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Quiz Away,

NOTE on 11.17

If you move the IK object with goals that have Keep Gaol Within Reach active and you are using Full time IK, those goals will be dragged along for the ride. Weeeeee!

I have no idea what that means but there you go.
And thanks again your explanation was perfect...

oh and my copy sat on the shelf for about 9 monts before I got the bug again :(