PDA

View Full Version : Railroad tracks

capt. vid
03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Since I'm new to Lightwave (7.5 on a G4Mac) I hope someone can help me with a modeling problem I'm having. I have need to construct an animation of a train running on a track. Train and straight track are built but I'm having trouble trying to construct curved sections of track. Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is build a library of track sections (45's 90, spurs, etc.) in which I can change both radius and degrees of section to fit my needs. I've tried "bending" straight section to the proper arc or trying to construct pairs of curved rails from curves but just don't seem to be able to come up with the right methodology.

Can someone please help and maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Capt. Vid

chilledaqua
03-04-2004, 07:49 PM
you could construct the I beams as if you were looking at the track from the front and then just do a rail extrude and you can make the track follow a cv curve. you could also do a lathe with less than 360 degrees so that you have a small curved section. you can create pieces and then weld them together. This should get you on the right track -- no pun intended. The lathe will let you get exactly how many degrees you want