PDA

View Full Version : lightwave 8 realease date question



SEMIRO
03-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know the date when lightwave is set to ship yet? just so i know...

Aegis
03-04-2004, 02:55 PM
No official word yet although the current upgrade deals are set to expire on the 21st March and the D-Storm website has reported that March 22nd is the day... :cool:

DigiLusionist
03-04-2004, 08:39 PM
mirage, I tell you... mirage..!

Alec Trevelyan
03-04-2004, 11:17 PM
d-storm says a lot of things. They also display my work without permission:p

chrisdz
03-05-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm kind of stuck on a number of fronts and I keep stalling decisions based on the promise of LW8

I actually lost my first project because of the delay yesterday. I keep waffling "wait for lightwave, buy cinema, wait for lightwave, buy cinema."

At this point, I've kind of set a deadline for myself by the end of march. Either choice is a gamble - and I have this stinky feeling that the moment I jump to Cinema, Lightwave will blow me away - but my budget will let me do one or the other - not both. At least I won't be sitting on my hands.

Aegis
03-05-2004, 04:26 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what has Cinema 4D got that LightWave 7.5 doesn't? Surely you could have bought LightWave and waited until 8 was released? Especially since you get some free software and a free upgrade to 8 :confused:

My personal opinion on Cinema is that it's a nice package with good support but not even close to being in the same league as LightWave...

chrisdz
03-05-2004, 04:40 PM
I have 7.5 and I can't keep it running in a stable state on my mac under X.3 (which I need for all my other graphics apps, realistically.)

It's not so much a matter of Cinema even being in the "same league" as Lightwave - I just need something that I can actually keep up and running. Almost all of my work is still shots and titles, so in that regard it's often a toss up. Realistically I should just stick with lightwave and upgrade through another generation, but just watch version after version of Cinema roll out with new features and a rock-solid app while I twiddle my thumbs with a year old release that I can't even keep running and start grinding my teeth.

Aegis
03-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Ah, that explains it - I guess you should at least stick around 'til the next release of OSX and/or the 7.5d patch from NewTek (assuming it's still on its way) and see if that increases the reliability of the software to the point you feel confident to stick with it...

chrisdz
03-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I've been holding my breath, banking on LW8 to move forward.

I'm turnin' blue :)

erikk
03-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Frankly, I'm beginning to consider switching to a different program. My faith in Newtek is pretty shaken. I'm starting to wonder if the company is in financial trouble, with LW 8 being a huge piece of vaporware. Maybe I'm wrong, but broken promises and lack of openness about release dates following the broken promises: I find it a bit unsettling. I'm glad I haven't paid in advance for an upgrade.

Elemental233
03-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Thank god i get A free upgrade..

Dodgy
03-18-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by erikk
My faith in Newtek is pretty shaken. I'm starting to wonder if the company is in financial trouble, with LW 8 being a huge piece of vaporware. Maybe I'm wrong, but broken promises and lack of openness about release dates following the broken promises: I find it a bit unsettling. I'm glad I haven't paid in advance for an upgrade.

If you haven't paid for it yet, why worry about it. LW 8 has been seen in all sorts of demos (including live by my mate) so it's definitely not vaporware. Okay, so it's a little late, but that's cause they've stated they want it to be as bug free as possible, and I've seen many improvements to the core system so I'm not fretting. I can get the job done in 7.5c only slower (but not as much with Fpime...) so I'm willing to wait for the good stuff.