PDA

View Full Version : No MasterHandler found?

Johnny
03-04-2004, 10:21 AM
I just re-installed LW from my CD, launched it successfully, and tried to load the scene I've been working on. I get this warning:

"No plug-in of type MasterHandler found with name .BRDF2. Would you like to load it from disk?
Note: in this dialogue box, there IS a "." before and after 'BRDF2'

I have no other plugs besides those that come with LW.. I used BRDF, I believe, but whatever that was that came up in the Shaders Pulldown is endemic to the stock installation of LW..

I offered up the CD when I saw that "Would you like to load it from disk?" part, but the G5 promptly hucked it out, so I guess that avenue's closed!

Any hints what LW is asking me for?

thank you!

Johnny

eblu
03-04-2004, 12:19 PM
reload your plugins johnny

Johnny
03-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Actually, I did load all my plug ins, and still get this error. That's part of what kills me about this.

(I was very meticulous about going to each plug-in folder and selecting all plugins as I loaded).

could that leading "." have something to do with it?

J

eblu
03-04-2004, 12:37 PM
use the scan directory button and select the "plugins" directory.

let the computer do all of the work.

Johnny
03-04-2004, 12:43 PM
OK..I'll give that a try..thanks!

J

Johnny
03-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Scan Directory seemed to Make some of my scenes happy, but LW doesn't seem to want to remember my Scan Directorys and keeps telling me that .BRDF2. can't be found..

Is there a trick to coaxing LW to remember where the plugs are after they've been scanned?

thank you!

J

PS: and in a sick twist, I trashed the LW Prefs, fired up lightwave, and Scanned Directory again, and got a report that 409 Plug-ins were found in 3502 files!!!

I had been getting something more like 331 plugs in 119 files!

And it's still not finding that MasterHandler .BRDF2. thing.

Julian Johnson
03-09-2004, 02:16 AM
I think that the upgrade to BRDF2 happened in either 7.5b or 7.5c so any scenes created with b/c using BRDF will contain a reference to BRDF2. When you try and open these scenes in 7.5 then you'll get this error. You can either strip the plugin reference out of the scene file with a text editor, and redo the BRDF surfacing or you could upgrade, once again, to 7.5c.....I would guess that once you've created a scene in 7.5c with a BRDF object then even if you remove the object the master handler plugin reference to BRDF will remain in the scene. If you no longer need it just remove this section (everything between the Plugin and End Plugin markers) from your scene file:

Plugin MasterHandler 1 .BRDF2
EndPlugin

Julian

Julian Johnson
03-09-2004, 02:18 AM
..strangely, and for info, no amount of plugin scanning will resolve an issue with BRDF since although it refers to itself as a plugin it is embedded in the core application code and doesn't exist outside of it as a .p file.

Julian