PDA

View Full Version : Z-Buffer Settings

Jockomo
03-04-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey folks. I am trying to use the z-buffer output to create the bump map for a lightwave generated texture. The problem I am having is, I can't seem to figure out how to change the range of depth that the Z-buffer uses.

Here is an example, although not quite exactly what I am trying to do, lets say I want to make a brick wall texture. I model a few bricks, the bricks and morter, etc. in Modeler, give them a nice texture and bring them into layout to render a tiling sort of texture. Works great for the Color map and pretty much all of the other maps, especially when rendering out via the .psd exporter.
But let's say I want to use the Z-buffer to render out a bump map, I would only want the buffers range to be say 3ft from the camera for closest to 3' 1" to the furthest (white).

Is there a way to set this up? I tried messing around with the depth of field settings, but these seem to have no effect on the z-buffer output. (which brings me to another, but more trivial question... what ever happened to the stock camera settings? There used to be presets for things like Panavision to 110 film camera.)

digimassa
03-04-2004, 06:41 AM
:cool:
maybe I misunderstand something, but IMO .PSD doesnt supply Z-buffer, RPF (or RLA) does.
To fake Z-buffer with good controll of range you set all geometrie to white and use groundfog or similar tool.^^