PDA

View Full Version : 3d Geometry Converter

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Hi!

Where can I find a 3D geometry converter that can make it possible for LW 7.5 to import 3D geomtries from industrial standards?

Think this thing called "Polytrans" is way too expensive though I only need this converter once at this moment!

Juris

Jockomo
03-04-2004, 01:17 AM
What kind of file are you trying to convert? Your best bet (if they are saving out of autocad or something similar) may be to have them convert to .3ds or .dxf from the other program. Lightwave can import those file types. A little warning though, .dxf files don't always work right since there are many different versions of the .dxf format and not all are compatable.

There is another program called Deep Exploration, but it is equally expensive.

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 01:53 AM
Hi!

The files are called sat files and delivered by ABB, the robot company. Just got them by email. Do you know any converter for these models?

PS.

I can assure you that I almost never deal with DXF files just of the same reasons you just mentioned. But thanks anyway!

Juris

pdrake
03-04-2004, 02:54 AM
i can do that, i think. send it to me and i'll give it a try.

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 03:37 AM
Hi!

I would really appreciate your help, but since these files are involved in a contract of secrecy I cannot deliver them through the internet woithout taking a very big risque.

My wish is of course a humble reqest for how youre able to do it and also what kind of programs that export / import *.sat files so they qre able to import into LW7.5?

J

pdrake
03-04-2004, 03:53 AM
jax, check your pm.

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 04:28 AM
Am I an idiot? Please do not answer :) I checked my PM by clicking on the icon named pm. What is supposed to happend after that? The only thing that popped up was an empty window?

Maybe I am a jerk when it comes to PMībut if it would be easier to deal with such an idiot like me you can use my email instead.

[email protected]

sorry for being non smart today.

tektonik
03-04-2004, 08:04 AM
I use form-z for modeling and it Rocks especially in the import/export fonctionalities

it loads SAT files (wich i never used yet...) and saves great LWOs

i could try to output it for you

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 08:32 AM
hi!

Do you know if its an expensive product? or which company that sells it?

Feels like crap to invest money in another system than LW just to import/export stuff :(

J

bloontz
03-04-2004, 08:48 AM
The Deep Exploration demo is fully functional for 30 days I believe, with the Granite module it should be able to handle .sat files but I'm not sure if the module demos are fully functional or not. May be worth a try.

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks I ll try that...

J

paulrus
03-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by jaxtone
Hi!

Where can I find a 3D geometry converter that can make it possible for LW 7.5 to import 3D geomtries from industrial standards?

Think this thing called "Polytrans" is way too expensive though I only need this converter once at this moment!

Chuck I really hope you're reading this. Remember our email conversation? Okino is the only choice out there AFAIK. LW could really pick up a lot of business if it could deal with CAD models in their native format. The amount of hoops I have to jump through right now is ridiculous when dealing with CAD models.

On top of that you have Okino's sales people trashing LW as being outdated, inferior, etc. (at least that was my personal experience)

Character animation is really cool and fun, but there's a much bigger market for people to render and animate CAD models than for someone to build yet another Yoda or Golum.

Paul

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Wow... you really hit the nail with a heavy hammer loaded with reality, I almost lmao... remembering all these young guys I ve been working with during the years acting like copy cats all the time...

Well theres always two sides of the coin and I praise the dreams and desires in every creative brain out there... but there has to be food on the table as well... so if Newtek doesnt take me or other producers that has to bring home contracts from the industry, seriously... why should I take them seriously at all?

Damn, I went so angry when I received almost exactly the same negative responce as I did when I asked about this almost 6 years from now.

During the years I heard many ppl speak negative about Newteks development department, mainly the critisism have been about that Newtek doenst listen. Also said is that they act as old Kings that believes that anything they do are perfect. I have always protected my softwares company, but now I dont know... seems like they really doesnt wanna listen to me as a producer in the year of 2004.

J

pdrake
03-04-2004, 11:24 AM
sorry, had to sleep for awhile. click on "user cp" at the top.

just drinking beer. don't feel bad being swedish, we can't all be perfect.

just kidding:D

do you have ftp access?

which platform are you on?

perry

jaxtone
03-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Under my User CP its totally blank... cant find any info at all?

Well I have got an FTP... but I cant find the address right now because a very young friend who helped me to reinstall w2k also wiped out my mail box... So I have to contact my internet supplier tomorrow to see if they can send the FTP address again.

Platform is win2k.

PS

Beer? That was long ago I could drink that stuff.., nowadays I fell asleep when drinking it... thats why I prefere whiskey... keeps me awake.

J

pdrake
03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
jaxtone, i sent you an email.

hijacker
03-04-2004, 04:47 PM
there''s also a program called quick 3d, you can get it from www.quick3d.com It dosen''t do what you want but it may help somebody else.

I also agree that Lightwave should take more notice of the file formats it exports. I know that projects in DoD Australia, DOD UK and DD US would use LW for it''s simulators instead of Paradigm software if it supported Open Flight.

There''s a market out there, youve just got to explore it.

Martyn

jaxtone
03-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Hi!

Thanks for the advice. I know theres a market out there, a huge market, "big fish eating little fish"... and between you and me and the rest of the world Lightwave isnt the most wanted program for industrial needs. When CAD designers are exporting their stuff its mostly to Maya or 3DMax because they seems to have wider features for import / export and layer functions.

I have tried and contacted support teams for the translators you mention without success. Their capabilities werent even near my needs.

Thanks anyway from Juris