PDA

View Full Version : Transparency problem

Igu4n4
03-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Hello all,.. having an issue that I'm sure is overly obvious, but for the moment the solution eludes me. I have a transparency map for a fish fin for a current job, and the Alpha channel of the rendering isn't showing it. The Alpha channel is showing just the fully opaque model completely unaffected by the transparency map.

Shader options, Alpha Channel are set to Surface Opacity, and of course RayTrace transparency is turned on.

I'm not new to Lightwave by any stretch, so I can't think of anything I've done indirectly to cause the transparency map to not effect the alpha channel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve.

Jeff_G
03-03-2004, 07:31 PM
is it a 16 bit tga image you are using for the alpha? Or a 32 bit TGA? I've had problems with embedded alphas in tga's not working right with LW.

Can you post a screenshot of the surface settings?

Igu4n4
03-03-2004, 07:36 PM
actually Im looking at the Rendering Display through Image viewer, and toggling the alpha on and off... the transparency map isn't affecting it in anyway.

I'd love to show you the image, but unfortunately I cannot,... nda's are a bane at times.

Transparency map works fine in the visible rendering, I can see through to the background no problem... it is just not being represented in the alpha channel, and it will need to for compositing issues.

Steve.

Retroid
03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Have you tried making a clone of the image in image viewer, then setting the clone to be alpha only. Then replace the transparency map with the cloned version.

I had the same problem with a clip map which worked fine after the cloning.

Good luck

Igu4n4
03-03-2004, 08:15 PM
no go =\. The transparency map is a black and white bitmap (24-bit). It effects the surface opacity, but doesn't have an inherent alpha channel of it's own.

The Alpha Channel option in the Image Editor is thus, greyed out.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Steve.

kmscottmoore
03-03-2004, 08:30 PM
You have to turn raytrace transparency off. For some reason, with it on, the alpha channel doesn't render properly.

I learned this from NewTek's tech support when I called with a similar problem.

Igu4n4
03-03-2004, 08:36 PM
... you're absolutely right.

I must say I'm kind of floored at that logical loop hole. I guess I can begin to understand why... but wow... that's problematic. I honestly can't remember noticing this before.

Mark another point to address in the myriad of rendering engine threads.

Thank you for you help.

Steve.

Jeff_G
03-03-2004, 09:41 PM
I've had problems with raytrace xparency not rendering a proper alpha too. I totally mis-read your initial post. :)

Igu4n4
03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks again for the help all,.. job went out the door this afternoon right on schedual.

I am able to show an example now, and posted it in the Gallery (even though it's not exactly the end product). http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19111

Most appreciated.

Steve.