PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem

Redig
03-14-2003, 01:00 PM
My dad has a logo he designed which is basically a stained glass window design (it is all outlines of where the glass would go, if you get me). I wanted to make it 3d for an experiment, so I imported a pic of it as a backdrop. I formed polygons (it took more than one as I will explain*) by tracing the pic with points. Anyway, I extruded the completed trace, and things look fairly good. BUT, these white lines show up between points on the width (the part formed from the extrusion). They are most obvious when rotating the object.

Can anybody help me eliminate those lines?

Thanks

*the difficulty lies with basically the same problem of making a single polygon with 2 concentric circles. It may not ACTUALLY be an impossibility (I'm very newbie here), but I don't know how to do it. Could you make a single polygon out of a 2d pic of swiss cheese with the tracing method I proposed, cause it's the same problem I had.

P.S. Sorry for the length

Bytehawk
03-14-2003, 01:02 PM
post a piccy of what you mean pls. From your description it could be a lot of things.

mattclary
03-14-2003, 01:03 PM
I'd lay money that you are seeing a smoothing problem. Lower your smoothing angle in the surface editor until it disappears. If lowering the angle makes other parts look bad, you may need to alter your geometry or use multiple surfaces.

If you want, post a screenshot and we may be better able to diagnose.

Redig
03-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the fast responses guys...

I tried lowering the smoothing threshold...no success. I am trying to attach a pic.

The lines, I said were white, change color to match the color of the object, only it's lighter....just enough to be blatantly obvious.

Thanks

Bytehawk
03-14-2003, 01:26 PM
looks like you have some 2 point poly's

in modeler
press w (statistics)
press ctrl h (polygon mode)
press / (deselect all )
in statistics click on the plus next to 2 point poly's
press del

is that what you're looking for

Redig
03-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Bytehawk you are a genius! :D It worked. 2-point polys...I've gotta remember that...(told ya I was new)

Thanks a lot

Bytehawk
03-14-2003, 01:37 PM
no problem,

cheers mate !