PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

jackflores
03-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Im making an 3D logo for some awards ceremonies and im giving it a gold preset. When i hit the smoothing in the Surface Editor and render a frame i get very harsh dark areas in the render, why does it do that? Im new to 3D but dont hesitate to get technical on me

I circled the areas where i get the harsh lines.

Thanks in advance for your time

SBowie
03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
You've likely got some non-planar polys.

Try taking the model back into Modeler, and check for non-planars. To do so, click the Polygon selection button at the bottom of Modeler, and hit w on the keyboard, to bring up the panel shown. Click + next to Non-Planar to select the polys, and then hit t to triple them.

Send the object back to Layout, and try rendering again...

mgrusin
03-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi Jack,

Try asking over in Newtek's Lightwave forum. Lots of people will jump in to help you there. But for the moment:

How many lights do you have are in your scene? If you have only one, try adding a second or third and position/aim them to illuminate the bottom (in the computer world, no lighting = black).

There is also a Global Illumination setting that you can kick up a little bit that may help. You can also kick up the Luminosity of your objects as well to make them "glow". A Global Reflection Map can make very shiny objects look good too... and shortly you'll be hooked on 3D. ;)

Hope this helped a bit! Good luck, -MG.

Lew
03-04-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi Jack,
Your biggest problem is probably using smoothing on a flat surface, gives you some wierd effect. If you need to smooth the sides of the letters, make them a seperate surface, cut the face from the letters and past it back, merge points, and I think the whole thing will look much better,
lew

Rich Deustachio
03-04-2004, 09:41 AM
i think you also have the bottom of the C below the floor surface and it is covering part of it.

jackflores
03-04-2004, 11:05 AM
oops, saw the troubleshooting and not the VT prefix...sorry.

thanks for your help guys im working on it right now