PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want VT3 on a Laptop?

PIZAZZ
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
I am just bubbling over here and I couldn't hold my big mouth closed anymore. I just finished a day of fun fun fun. I have been using VT3 on my Laptop trying to see what all I can and cannot do. So far I am very impressed with the possibilitites.

The VT card is living in a small external box which connects to the Laptop through the PCMCIA slot. The external box also has room for a couple hard drives. I put in 2 18gig U160 drives and a 29160 since I had them laying around. Each drive disktested at 46mb/sec. System could work off of 12V if you need to work out in the field too.

I am thinking of making a 2U version of our miniBOB with this PCI expansion bus. Cost to be determined.

Anybody want to use their VT3 on a laptop????

give me some feed back if you are interested.

mgrusin
03-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Oh. My. God. :eek:

I'm sure I can't afford one, but for those doing field production (and anyone who'd like to be a bit more mobile), a VT3 in a lunchbox would be far preferable to the hernia-generating 4U monster I keep mine in. Add a DVD burner to that laptop and you're set!

All hail Jef! Let us know what it can and can't do (I know from experience you can do DV production with 50MB/s ;) ).

-MG.

videoguy
03-03-2004, 08:03 PM
it would be kool for live switching thats for sure. it would be nice if you could make it so you could connect it to a regular pc with out taking the card outta the box

PIZAZZ
03-03-2004, 08:44 PM
More info:::

The box I have it in is 2.5in tall x 10 wide x 12in deep. So it is much much smaller and compact than a lunchbox. The laptop I am testing with already has a DVD burner it too.

Live switching is very easy with this system. As soon as I can clean off the SCSI drives I will stripe them together and get the disc bandwidth where it needs to be. More details to come.

Bobt
03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
thats tooo cool.

bob

videoguy
03-03-2004, 09:00 PM
looks awesome now if i can just get the man with the check book to buy me a laptop and one of theese

PIZAZZ
03-03-2004, 09:00 PM
This will definitely be at the NAB party.......

Ian Austen
03-04-2004, 06:49 AM
Have you consider making it a fire wire 800 connection , truly I have no idea if you can run a pci device thru fire wire but you then have acess to many fire wire drive solutions such as
http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewire/products/RAIDHSB.shtml
which claims 62.637 mb/sec write speed.
But a minibob that can handle switching 2 cameras very nice.

Bobt
03-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Jeff I cant find the page with a picture on it.
All I get is the mini bob.
This would be of definite intrest to me since I want to
demo on the go and have a new 2.8Ghz wide screen laptop.
How much for that external PCMCIA add on with room for drives.
I just sounds completely awesome.

Bob

PIZAZZ
03-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do not have a picture of it just yet. I will try to sometime next week. I am about to leave for Vegas to exhibit our VJLive product at the Nightclub and Bar show. Since I am driving, I will have some thinking time to get a finalization done on the pricing and exact details.

See what else I have been up to.... www.vjlive.com (http://www.vjlive.com)

I will keep everyone posted here as details develop. Speaking of developing, Bob give me a call at the office or my mobile. I will email you those numbers again in a moment.

rbartlett
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Always great innovation adn productisation from Jef, good to hear.

Is it related to Mobility Electronics' Magma by chance, with the GigaBridge (cable between cage and cardbus adapter) developed by Philips Semiconductor?

Excellent for a flight case arrangement.
I'd tend towards a luggable for myself:

MaxVision MaxPac solution a la NewTek @ Siggraph 2002.
or (chassis wise):
http://www.maxvision.com/maxpac/
or
http://www.theportablepc.com/aztecseries.htm

Perhaps NewTek will develop their own HD solution using NEWCARD (codename for the forthcoming PCI Express version of cardbus [which was the mini PCI in truth]). Then that can fit in a laptop or a desktop with only one development cycle. Perhaps use fibre optic interconnect to the BoB(s) to get the edge density and low-stress-insertion/noise-immunity required. I guess HDV would then be possible at 19Mbps, maybe more depending on the laptop drive and source/target qualities.

PIZAZZ
03-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Richard,

Why is every time i read your posts my head starts to hurt???? ;)
No really it does. You always make me think so much it hurts.

Poor guys that aren't knee deep in it all like we are have no chance at all following what you are saying....

But I have to admit you always help get the tech down to the nitty gritty.

More details to come, promise.

THANKS!

mgrusin
03-04-2004, 09:44 AM
MiniVT? VT2GO? Whatever you decide to call it, it sounds great :) (VJLive looks great as well (and just slightly familiar)... vertical markets, baby!)

-MG.

kleima
03-04-2004, 11:28 AM
I had been doing some research for doing just that, with a PCI to PCMCIA bridge!
It's about time someone does that! I figured it should work!

ted
03-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Jeff, let me know if you want a booth at the party for this and/or your Mini-Bob.
I'll need to plan for space and power.

JonCrowe
03-05-2004, 12:14 PM
We've played around with this idea as well. Here is a link to the chasis we used. I believe this is the same one mentioned above.
It has two PCI slots and two drive bays, and is the same size.
It's list price is only $895.00.

http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/2slot/index.html#

kleima
03-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Now the question is: is there a PCI card that has a PCMCIA slot in it that could be installed in the tower so that the "little box" can be easily transfered between the laptop and the desktop. This would be awesome. Maybe the Newtek licensing would not allow this. Maybe they should consider a licensing option that would allow this, such as a software only license or a "seat" license for a second copy of the software to be on the laptop.
I personally would find this useful, because I am the only person who edits (so would not need 2 VT cards) but I go on two international trips each year in which it would be VERY helpful to have the VT along, but then when I come back to the office, I would want to have the greater bandwidth and HD space of my workstation.

bradl
03-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by kleima
Now the question is: is there a PCI card that has a PCMCIA slot in it that could be installed in the tower so that the "little box" can be easily transfered between the laptop and the desktop. This would be awesome...Lots of em. Been around for years. Most all of the early Linksys wireless adapters used one. For example here's one: Desktop PCMCIA Universal (http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/index.php)

...Maybe the Newtek licensing would not allow this. Maybe they should consider a licensing option that would allow this, such as a software only license or a "seat" license for a second copy of the software to be on the laptop.
...Newtek should not care. The license is issued based on the card itself and the card is the hardware dongle. Of course you could not run the software on the PC without the card... at least not yet...