PDA

View Full Version : Syncing the VT(3) in studio environment

dylanwhiting
03-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi there,

I am trying to get the VT(3) synced to enable live editing on the programme bar. We have a sync generator sending the signal to a splitter, which sends it to the Camera Control Units and to the VT(3) - unfortunately, the signal is not sync and jumps when the "take" button isnt used.

We do have Genlock in and out on the Toaster board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dylan

Jim Capillo
03-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Have you adjusted the genlock preferences in the preferences panel ?

You may also be having a problem in splitting the signal. Do the CCU's have loop-thru ? If so, send genlock to the VT, loop out to CCU1, then on to CCU2 and so forth.

EanJay
03-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Why sync the CCu's - VT3 will lock-up any camera source placed on an input. You would probably only require Genlock to lock the VT3 as a source it's self to another switcher or system running under 'house sync'.

EanJay

Jim Capillo
03-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by EanJay
Why sync the CCu's - VT3 will lock-up any camera source placed on an input. You would probably only require Genlock to lock the VT3 as a source it's self to another switcher or system running under 'house sync'.

EanJay

Well, yes and no..... when you sync the whole system together, it will reduce the switcher latency to minimums. If you allow the VT (or the CCU's) to freerun, the VT will indeed sync them up, but it will take extra resources and time to do that.

dylanwhiting
03-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the posts - I kind of thought that might be the case, Jim. I used to work with the Trinity system, and from that you simply ran off the black burst to the CCU's and then ran the signal through. As I didnt set up the studio system I'm not entirely sure what is running off the sync gen. Is there a sync gen. within the VT3 that I could run to the splitter instead of that currently externally supplied?

To put it bluntly, it would be really useless if I finally get the sync set up on the cams just to lose VTR's, CG's etc.

Dylan

Jim Capillo
03-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, it depends what kind of external sync generator you're using. You could do it a few different ways.....

1. Let the external sync gen freerun and then loop the output thru everything - VT, cams, decks etc. That locks everything together.

2. If the ESG has multiple outputs, run a line to each of your different machines genlock in. You can always loop thru (genlock in/out) equipment if you don't have enough ESG outputs.

3. Lock the ESG to the VT. Send the genlock out from the VT to the Genlock in of the ESG (if it has one). This effectively locks everything else up to the VT, which is freerunning.

Again, I wouldn't recommend using a splitter on the genlock out run..... it isn't the same as using a distribution amp or one of the multiple outputs on the back of the ESG. You are effectively doubling the line ohmage and reducing the signal strength..... sort of like double terminating a piece of equipment, killing the signal. You can always pick up a distribution amp on eBay for cheap money. That alone could very well be causing the initial problem.

dylanwhiting
03-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Jim,

Thanks a lot. As I said, I used to work with the Trinity, the VT3 is fairly new to me. The idea of looping through was the one I was looking at, but I wanted to see if there was some experience of this floating around out there. Looks like I found some.

I'm going to try these things out on Friday, and I'll post the success levels.

Cheers,

Dylan