PDA

View Full Version : Open this shell.

Jooa
03-03-2004, 08:12 AM
I have this shell (top), I should do an animation and roll it open (bottom), but how I should do that?
Solutions?
Ideas?

Thanks! :)

mlinde
03-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Pivot point at the center of the full-circle version for each piece. Rotate as needed (In layout).

Oh, you probably want it easier than manual for each, huh? I know there's a motion plugin (or, at worst, an expression can be written) that does this...checking now, unless I get beat to the punch...

Jooa
03-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Yes. Definitely something easier than piece by piece rotating.

mattclary
03-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Set a limit to the amount each segment can rotate. 13 segments = 27.69 degrees per segment when expanded. The seg on the far left should have a limit of 0 degrees, moving clockwise, the next seg, say... 2 degrees, next say 4, etc.. until the one farthest from the first (moving clockwise will be allowed a roattion of (in the neighborhood of) 225 degrees. Parent all to a null, rotate null.

Looks like you're rotated the segs manually already, you may need to do this again to get the exact range of motion allowed for each seg, but once it's set up, should work beautifully.

Gordonpee
03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Parent the segments together like a chain (1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc)
Then with all the segments (except for the top-level parent segment), apply the Channel Follower Modifier within the Graph Editor (assuming Bank Channel) to follow the top-level segment's Bank Channel.
Then you only need to rotate that one single segment. All the other segments will rotate exactly.

Gordon

Gordonpee
03-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Like this:

http://www.technical-animation.com/ShellExample_01.gif

Jooa
03-05-2004, 03:40 AM
Thanks guys!

I used expressions for them and I think I got it now, but I'll try the channel follower too.