PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5 on MAC not working

maschinsky
03-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi, All!

I just got my Upgrade from PC 5.5 to MAC 7.4 and my disapointment is great. I installed Lightwave and it doesnt't work. To be more precise both apps Modeller and Layout just don't start, so I can't even get it registered. I have AVID Xpress Pro running on the same system using the same type of dongle and apparantly they cannot coexist on the same machine. After a lengty e-mail conversation with newtek-europe support I got this as the final answer:

Unfortunately, the situation appears that AVID puts things everywhere on the machine. I am not speaking from a position of experience, but others are. My colleagues say that the only solution to running LightWave and AVID on the same machine may be to have a dual boot system with the second disk having no trace of AVID on it, but even that isn't certain. The only way to be really sure is to have a completely separate machine._I can't say for sure that the situation will be resolved in LightWave 8, but I think not. As for the registration of the Mac version, because the Duo dongle reports a different lock ID number for the Mac, you will need to register the Mac version separately. Can I ask why you haven't bought a cheap PC for LightWave work?

I will of course post a similar e-mail on the AVID forum simply because it cannot be that two apps for a couple of hundred euros each cannot run on the same machine bechause of a f*#ing dongle issue. Of course both software companies blame the other to be the cause of the malfunction and we- the useres are the ones to suffer.

Any thoughts on this?

Maschinsky

maschinsky
03-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Maybe I should get a crackt to get my legally purchased software tu run, or what?

eblu
03-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by maschinsky
Can I ask why you haven't bought a cheap PC for LightWave work?

Any thoughts on this?

Maschinsky

I have two thoughts:
1. Avid is a terrible application, and they should really be fined for limiting users like this.

2. the newtek guy should be flogged for voicing bias against the mac. I find that comment insulting, and unprofessional.

sorry I couldn't actually be helpful.
hrm.... you use the same kind of dongle, is it a problem with the software driving the dongles or some sort of dongle order issue?

what if you could move the drivers to a local user directory? couldn't do that with a kext, but I'm not even sure if it would help yet... still don't know (myself) what is causing the incompatibility.

ok how were the apps installed?
which one first, and if you know... what is driving the dongles (filenames, company names, any info you got). LW doesn't start, what does it say?

system version?

does avid need its dongle all of the time or only when it launches (usually the case)

I'm thinking that you could "encapsulate" different dongle drivers if needed (putting them into different user directories, and then using fast user switching to get form one protected area of memory to the other), but also that there might be a way to get the different apps to see the appropriate dongle by swapping them or if the drivers are crazy by switching them.

eblu
03-03-2004, 08:08 AM
look into this:
http://www.software-key.org/

Avid says you have a "sentinel driver" I'm currently toying with finding alternative ways to install it.

maschinsky
03-03-2004, 08:10 AM
What do you mean by moving the drivers to a local user directory. I am new to MAC, so please explain.

The apps were installed AVID first (for a while now) and then Lightwave.

AVID needs the dongle always, but it doesn“t help removing the AVID dongle anyway. AVID is not even runing, when LW doesn“t start.

LW doesnt say anything why it doesnt“t start. The icon just keeps jumping in the dock.

The Dongle is a RAINBOW dongle - whatever that means.

Maschinsky

mlinde
03-03-2004, 08:23 AM
The conflict is your AVID and Lightwave. There is a second thread about this (discussing the dongle). Apparently (courtesy of AVID, who came second to the USB dongle game) the only workaround is to create two partitions on your drive, and have AVID installed in one and LW installed in the other, each with it's own copy of the OS as well. It's really depressing. A long time ago AVID was a solid, quality Mac software developer, but when Windows NT made inroads into video, and AVID made Symphony, the intelligence level of their development team headed south.

FWIW, I wouldn't blame Newtek on this one, although I'm sure some of you will. Newtek has been utilizing the USB dongle since the Mac came with USB (at least 4-5 years).

late addition
You should be able to control this somewhat. Both systems should have the dongle software installed as frameworks. Although I don't know what the framework is for the AVID, the dongle framework for Lightwave is the Eve3.framework, in /System/Library/Frameworks/

If your AVID works even with Lightwave installed, I'd try removing this framework, and seeing if it kills the AVID, or (on the off chance) check the installation log for the AVID system and see what it installed into the system folder. If you can find the framework for the AVID you can remove it and maybe activate Lightwave.

I'm still looking for someone willing to post the framework file AVID installs, if you can find it, I'd like to examine it and see if there is a hack to get both to work together.

eblu
03-03-2004, 08:23 AM
/System/Library/Frameworks/Eve3.framework

is where i believe your LW dongle driver resides.

its possible to create a "Frameworks" directory in a local user's "Library" directory, and put the eve3.framework into it. and if everything works correctly (no reason why it shouldn't) the dongle driver would only load on login.
do this to both drivers (I have no avid express, and I AM hesitant to even try it with LW btw) and you "should" be able to load both avid and LW. of course, Avid is notorious for sloppy coding, and LW is notorious for just not "getting" mac os X, so any number of issue might crop up.

eblu
03-03-2004, 09:15 AM
move the eve3.framework into your LW applications directory. put it in the same folder that your Modeler and LW Layout are in.

this way LW only loads the driver when it needs it.
Avid, probably works in a similar fashion.

if you can move the frameworks to their respective application directories, then try to launch each one (btw after you move the frameworks restart the machine bc they might already be loaded into system memory). if it doesn't work...

the next step is to set up an "avid" login and a "lightwave" login. then instead of having a dual boot system, you have a dual login system.

but we still have to determine if any of this will allow you to launch Lightwave.

maschinsky
03-03-2004, 09:29 AM
I will try this as soon as my time allows and keep you posted!

Thanks for your thoughts, guys!

Maschinsky

smudge11
03-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi,
I just stumbled across this thread and was wondering if anyone is using Mirage. I seem to be having similar problems with the Mirage dongle. When it is plugged in, Lightwave doesn't launch or acts funky, but if I unplug the Mirage dongle, Lightwave returns to usable.

Just wondering if this has more to do with the dongle drivers than anything Newtek, Bauhaus, or AVID has done.

Lou

riki
03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
These dongle issues sound like they're becoming a serious worry. Buying a cheap PC doesn't sound like much of an answer.

maschinsky
03-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi. Good News!

I have found a way to get Lightwave and Avid running on the same machine. The solution is as follows:

The problem is a kernel extention for the AVID dongle named "com.rainbow.iokit.Sentinel"

Go to Utilities Netinfomanager and activate the Root User of OSX - choose a password - close Netinfomanager

Open Terminal

type

kextstat

there should be an extension listed as "com.rainbow.iokit.Sentinel" this is the AVID dongle driver

type

sudo kextunload -b com.rainbow.iokit.Sentinel

the system asks for the superuser password - type it - the driver gets kicked out of the ram.

now lightwave should be running with no problem, but AVID will not. To load the kernel extension for the AVID dongle back into memory and run AVIDtype the following in Terminal:

sudo kextload -b com.rainbow.iokit.Sentinel

Type the password again and voilį the driver is back in.

There has to be a similar kernel extension for the MIRAGE dongle, for the people who cannot run MIRAGE and LW3D on the same machine.

Maybe there is the possibility to write a script to load/unload the AVID Dongle driver via Icon-klick. I will see into that. Or does any of you guys know how to do that?

*** UNIX RULEZ ***

Florian "maschinsky" Gintenreiter

moubctez
03-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I don't think you need this kernel extension at all. My LW works without it. I haven't installed the RainbowTech drivers.

maschinsky
03-15-2004, 11:29 AM
You are af course right, moubctez. Lightwave runs without it, but AVID doesn“t. It comes with AVID and in order to get Lightwave running I have to get rid of it and load it again, when I need to use AVID.

Maschinsky