PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Bone Rotation Axis??

Jockomo
03-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Could someone please explain how to edit the axis of bones, or tell me what I am doing wrong?

Here is what I am doing:

I have a character with a leg bone that does not rotate in the correct axis.

I go into modeler, select the skelegon that is the first in the chain of affected bones, and hit "Edit Skelegons" The chain of skelegons becomes highlighted with the blue lines, showing the "lollypop" controls for adjusting the rotation of the axis.

I rotate the "lollypop" until it is facing behind the bone (I have tried other positions as well"

I save the object, go into layout, delete all bones, convert skelegons into bones again.

The axis has not changed. No matter what I do, I can't seem to move the axis at all.

Any Ideas?

toby
03-02-2004, 10:18 PM
I noticed something like this too, I was able rotate the Skelegons/bones but only on the Bank which is useless(?)

I heard about a trick of making the skelegon you want with a small parent skelegon on it's side so the axis come out right, but I haven't tried it.

What I do is rotate the pivots in Layout, then immediately rest the bone. It's tricky, always save a new scene first, and sometimes it will work just until you close & reload the scene - after which it explodes! Always reload the scene after what looks like a successful pivot rotation.

I've even gotten away with this after animating :) (of course it must be done with bones at their original position)

Jockomo
03-03-2004, 12:52 AM
toby,

I seem to remember something about paying attention to which window you were drawing the skelegons in to determine what axis the bones will rotate in. I'm trying to find where I saw that.
I think that was the issue the "lollypops" were supposed to solve.

Mmmm... exploading scenes, fun and excitement for the whole family!

Axis3d
03-03-2004, 08:27 AM
When you are in Modeler and using the Edit Skelegons tool, make sure you hit the 'enter' key after making the lollipop adjustments. Do not just hit the spacebar to drop the tool or the changes will not take. After you make the adjustments, you can check them by selecting the bone again and activating the Edit Skelegons tool again and they should be in their new positions.

Then save it and convert the bones in layout.

ursa
03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
the handle actually adjusts the rotation of the bone above it,
so if you adjust the top bone in a chain, there will be no visible effect.

Jockomo
03-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Thats it! Thanks very much guys.
Now I can get over my fear of lollypops.