PDA

View Full Version : ground plane

pdrake
03-02-2004, 01:50 PM
i'm working on a project where i need to show an exterior shot of a bunch of buildings. what's the best way to make a ground plane. no matter how large i make it, it still looks funky at the edge where it drops off.

also, what is the best way to give objects a sense of scale?

thanks.

Dickigeeza
03-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Hi Pdrake,

Not sure I understand trhe first part of your question, but as for the second part, I suggest you put something in the scene the viewer can identify with to give an indication of scale. People and vehicles work well in urban scene, but try to avoid the risk of creating a cliched image.

Hope this helps.

If you describe what you mean by "funky at the edge" I'll see if I can suggest anything for the ground plane.

Best rgds Rich

mkiii
03-02-2004, 04:33 PM
You can't make an infinite ground plane, and no matter how big you make it - it isn't going to reach the horizon in the flat world of layout.

Try obscuring the edge, or make the sides curve down to form a natural rounded horizon. You can also curve them up - or make hills, or a treeline to hide the edge.

Fog is the most obvious solution that springs to mind though..

mattclary
03-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Use the box tool and make it reeeeeeeealllly big. Say 1-2km square. Then you can use fog to make it fade into the distance.

pdrake
03-02-2004, 04:41 PM
the facility i'm modeling is over 2 square miles and it's in the middle of the desert. can't use trees, but mountains might work. thanks.

Kurtis
03-02-2004, 05:32 PM
I've cheated this in the past by using a combination of fog and a backdrop or gradient backdrop with a color that matched my ground plane's color.

As to scale, I agree with Dickigeeza. The best way to give an idea of scale is to quikcly give the viewer something they can identify with, such as people, trees (desert cactus?), cars, lampposts, mailboxes, signs, trashcans, etc. The not so quick way is to give them well detailed image map textures, in addition to the other cues.

mlinde
03-02-2004, 08:08 PM
ground fog, or haze, is a real-world event, and people shouldn't be shocked to see it in your work, especially when faking the horizon at a distance.