PDA

View Full Version : First post to new board: Actor head wip.

ub52
02-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Inspired by Terryfords great model and rendering of Peter Cushing, I decided to post a couple of pic's of an actor model I've been working on. No textures yet I'l post more as I have it.

Here a sub-d render.
- ub52

ub52
02-10-2003, 02:34 PM
And here is a wire frame render.

- ub52

Skonk
02-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Looks great, i just cant put my finger on who it is though. Wire looks to have a nice flow, should be easy to animate :)

James..

Emmanuel
02-11-2003, 04:43 AM
Hi,

pretty difficult, there is no "instant resemblance"...I dunno, I am undecided between DeForest Kelly (Dr McCoy) and Bruce Willis...

phrick
02-11-2003, 05:10 AM
That has to be Jack Nicholson, right? :confused:

Great work!

ub52
02-11-2003, 11:10 AM
And the winning guess goes too. . . . . . . . . . Phrick.

Sorry for leaving out the actors name in the original post, but after looking at the model so long myself I wasn't sure if the likeness had been captured. This is my first attempt at trying to model a head with the intent of replicating someones likeness. I realize that without hair and textures it would be difficult to see, but I thought if some recognized him this way then I must be on the right track.

I'm in the process of creating textures and hoping my meager skills in that area are up to the challenge. As work progresses I'll keep posting.

- ub52

TerryFord
02-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks ub52. Looking good, nice low mesh density. Jack Nicholson is all about the eyebrows :). And the grin...

One thing I did learn from doing the Cushing model is that portraits don't really come together untill you add the hair and textures. Keep us posted.

Regards,
Terry

oxyg3n
02-11-2003, 05:51 PM
This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but how do you render it like that with the wireframe over the image. Whenever I go to render options and check wireframe, that is all i get, the wireframe. It wont render the surfaces with the wireframe over it.

-Jared

ub52
02-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by oxyg3n
This is going to sound like a really stupid question, ...[snip]

-Jared

Jared, not a stupid question at all. Simple, in the Object->Properties panel click the EDGES tab and then click OTHER EDGES. When you render next the wireframe will be rendered on top of your model. However, if your model uses sub-d's Layout will triangulate the mesh before rendering and that is what will render. If that is what you want then great. In my case I wanted to see the wireframe of the actual quads that make up the model. So, in Modeler I set the sud-b level to 1 and then Froze the model(ctrl-d), loaded it into Layout and did the above.

- ub52

oxyg3n
02-11-2003, 06:17 PM
thanks ub52, that sure is easy enough to do.

ub52
02-22-2003, 01:16 AM
I finally got the textures perty well complete. Maybe a few final tweaks are in order. What do you think.

-ub52

TerryFord
02-22-2003, 06:44 AM
Looking good ub52, I see you got the bump maps sorted :) The face looks pretty close, but for final tweeks I think the jaw line might need strengthening, and I'd be inclined to make his eyes a bit more squinty.

Regards,
Terry

hrgiger
02-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Terry, looking good as always. This is the first time you've posted something that I feel like I have criticism for.

Somebody already mentioned it, but it seems hard to do Jack justice without the smile.

Everything looks pretty good but I think for one thing the colors are a bit too saturated. You might want to try bleeding him a little bit and seeing if that makes a difference.

I know this isnt going to be helpful either but I've been looking at this picture for about 10 minutes and I just can't put my finger on it but somthing seems off about the face. It might just be that I'm so used to old Jack that seeing this Jack which I'm assuming is a bit younger might look strange to me.

Zombat
02-22-2003, 07:58 AM
Whoa...cool. My only suggestion would be to make the chin/jaw bigger. It seems too small/insignificant.
As for the eyebrows, they need to be a little more sharper where it comes up, and I'd like to see them thinner...they seem to wide.

Very nice otherwise

ub52
02-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Terry, I would just like to express my thanks publically for the assitance you gave me. It really put me on the right track.

hrgiger: Your are right that something is off. I couldn't put my finger on it either, unitl I found some more photo references over the weekend. I can see now that mouth and lips as well as the jaw line are not right. Also, the eyes need to move a little closer together and the upper orbits are not as sunken as in the above render. I was up until 2:00AM last night stuck in an infinte loop.

While (testrender funky)
{
tweak points;
}

Zombat: Ya, right now the eyebrow are painted as part of the texture map but I'm going to try modeling for the final.

Thanks guys, and I'll keep posting.

- ub52

riki
02-24-2003, 03:52 PM
The mouth looks too small, also something wrong with the skin, looks too shiney like plastic.

Marcus
02-26-2003, 01:57 AM
Hey ub52

Good work
I am interesting in your modeling technik. Have you used
subpatched weights in area around eyes and wrinkles? The wireframe looks very clean.
Is this saslite in your textured image?

Marcus

ub52
02-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Marcus
Hey ub52

Good work
I am interesting in your modeling technik. Have you used
subpatched weights in area around eyes and wrinkles? The wireframe looks very clean.

Thanks, Marcus. The modeling technique is a variation of the box modeling method which was demonstrated by Larry Shultz (A.K.A SplineGod) at a recent Newtek Dimension Tour seminar I attended. No subpatch weighting was used.

Is this saslite in your textured image?

I'm using the full version of Sas, but I think the same could be achieved with the Lite version.

-ub52

hrgiger
02-26-2003, 11:20 AM
ub52,

I just realized that earlier in the thread I called you Terry. Sorry about that. I saw Terry Ford's name earlier in the thread I and I assumed this was here. Anyway, hopefully you'll take that as a compliment.

ub52
02-26-2003, 11:42 AM
hrgiger, no problem, and yes I did take it as a compliment. Terry's work is awesome.

-ub52