PDA

View Full Version : Newtek's Present

kmscottmoore
03-02-2004, 10:38 AM
I know what it will be:

A t-shirt that says:

I upgraded to Lightwave 8 5 months ago and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

Seriously, is it early this week yet?

mattclary
03-02-2004, 10:58 AM
5 Months?

Try April 25, 2003.

mkiii
03-02-2004, 12:40 PM
If I hadn't lost the last $50 (Newtek Bucks) that Chuck sent me, I'd bet $50 (Newtek) that this is what they will be sending out..... another $50 (Newtek) that I can lose just before I next have to pay for an upgrade.

chilledaqua
03-02-2004, 02:00 PM
I think the "free bonus" is under beta testing. :P When they said late last week or early this week, they really meant next week or the week after

mkiii
03-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Who can tell.... I still haven't heard anything from Newtek USA, Newtek Europe or otherwise, apart from reports of people who have received the fabled Newtek Email here on this forum.

And I'm not alone.

Verlon
03-03-2004, 12:49 AM
They meant early next week from whenever you think about their message.

prospector
03-03-2004, 04:49 AM
I haven't gotten that fabled E-Mail yet:(

Ya think it might be someone just spreading a joke message around?????

mattclary
03-03-2004, 05:31 AM
Nope, I got it too. You should make sure Newtek has your current e-mail address.

I REALLY wish Newtek would get their ducks in a row before blabbing about surprises...

mkiii
03-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Newtek Europe do have my details. Is it so difficult for them to send an email?

The worrying thing is not this supposed free gift, it's that if they can't communicate a simple thing like this, then am I ever going to see my copy of Lightwave 8?

Unlike Newtek US - I don't think Newtek Europe *ever* read these forums. Anyone ever seen any evidence that they do?

TyVole
03-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by mkiii
Unlike Newtek US - I don't think Newtek Europe *ever* read these forums. Anyone ever seen any evidence that they do?

Yes. BeeVee (Ben Voost, I think is his name) posts quite frequently.

I think NewTek didn't send the e-mail to their list of registered users, but instead used a marketing list that was compiled from people who registered for the live SIGGRAPH feed.

mkiii
03-03-2004, 07:44 AM
Nope. I was registered for that too.

Alec Trevelyan
03-03-2004, 08:35 AM
I'm registered, and they have my e-mail from when I ordered my upgrade, since I got an e-mail from CS providing me with shipping info for my DFX package.

Yet still, no e-mail about the pressie;)

Chuck
03-03-2004, 08:41 AM
The email was sent to those users registered with the NewTek US office, for whom we had email addresses. Probably some percentage of those email addresses were obsolete, so we reached some subset of US registered users.

We're still completing our preparations with our international partners, and once those are done, then we will be able to send announcements out to the eligible customers.

Alec Trevelyan
03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
ok, thanks for the info:)

ACLOBO
03-03-2004, 12:52 PM
The only Lightwave related thing I have received in email lately was from Safe Harbor about a sale or something. I must have missed this one, but I don't know why - I ordered my upgrade to LW8 back in late Nov/Dec and I am wondering if Newtek has my email.... I did get my DFX+ proggy and am EAGERLY awaiting my LW 8....

Maybe this "gift" will actually be LW 8.1 and a coupon for some money off of Worley's F-PRime plugin... Now that would be sweet! However, I should just be quiet as some people just browse these posts and might think that what I am is saying is truth instead of fantasy....

-Adrian

ACLOBO
03-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah... Forgot to add....

How do I make sure that Newtek has my current email address? Is there a link? :-)

-Adrian

WizCraker
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Email? or better yet call them to say "Hey whats up, oh by the way my current email is...."

kmscottmoore
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Ok, so it's now after the end of business day Wednesday; which qualifies as past early in the week for me. The suprise that Newtek was going to give us to make up for being late with 8, is now late.

I think I would have preferred that they not said anything at all about it until it was ready. Then it would have been a real suprise, and not a second disappointment.

Chuck
03-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Actually what's late is information about the surprise, which is what we'd said we'd be providing sometime in this time frame, not the surprise itself. We're still working on some logistical issues with our international partners, and then we'll be able to provide information.

prospector
03-03-2004, 10:09 PM
We're still working on some logistical issues with our international partners,

AHH HAA a hint !!!

Logistical issues.......

Wouldn't be a downloadable problem..there aren't logistics involved..just click and download...

Wouldn't be mail problems..logistics handled by mail people...

International partners... someone overseas getting plug-ins all into 1 place??

HMMMMMM....

there HAS to be a hint there somewhere...:D

WizCraker
03-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Or you are just reading in to it too much.

mkiii
03-04-2004, 05:39 AM
BTW All the European users can rest assured that Newtek Europe are on the case. I have had confirmation of that from the guys in Paris.

colkai
03-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Colour me not holding my breath ;)

kmscottmoore
03-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Chuck,

Regardless of what is late, the announcement of the suprise, or the suprise itself; I still would have preferred for NewTek to keep it a secret until it was ready to go.

NewTek made a press release that said version 8 would be ready by 4th quarter 2003. It was after Christmas before NewTek acknowledged that the new version would not come out on time.

NewTek then send out the teaser announcement about the suprise, no doubt to pacify some of the bitching present on these boards (of which I have been party to), and missed the date in the teaser.

I think you guys are developing a credibility problem with your user base in regards to delivery dates.

ACLOBO
03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
You know, Newtek doesn't even owe us a gift or anything. The only thing that they owe us is our upgrades to Lightwave 8 that we ordered. I am a little frustrated by the delay in 8 as well, but I would rather it be late and good, that early and buggy.

Whater Newtek throws in as a pacifier for those that preordered will be received well by me. If the "gift" comes out this week, or a month after 8 - who cares? It is a BOON that Newtek is trying to make ammends to those that have been patient. While I will be reluctant to pre-order in the future, I think that Newtek is doing their best and I will just have to patient.

Hey Chuck, I had not updated my email for this announcement until today. I callled customer service and gave them my current email. I hope I get a new email detailing the offer for us pre-order folks! :D

Later,

Adrian

byte_fx
03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Well - good luck with registering your upgrade special. I've been trying to register mine (bought from Newtek) for four months.

On-line form gives no response - not even an auto-responder reply.

Several emails to Newtek have gone unanswered.

Really surprising as Newtek had one of the better customer service groups going.

Now I'm becoming concerned about receiving the update when it does come out.

Haven't received the freebie notification yet but several other people that bought 8.0 - either for the first time or as an upgrade - on my recommendation have.

byte_fx

tingham
03-22-2004, 08:23 PM
I ordered on Thursday of last week and received both my Realviz discs today, as well as the UV Edit Pro information via email.

-thomas

JD-DCH
03-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi byte_fx ( you look familiar :p )

I ordered mine just a few weeks ago and didn't think I'd be included in the bonus but I just got the email today! ...does a little ditty... :D

I registered my LW online (same with DFX+) and the response took about 2 days if I remember right. You might check to see if your email server is blocking newtek email? Just a thought. I use mailwasher to pre-screen my email to dump all the garbage and I just happened to catch-eye of it. It was shown as 'origin-blacklisted'. That's not to say anything is wrong with NewTek email, it's just that my filters tried to block it cuz it was being all evil'n stuff.

JD - the one what thinks the toll free approach works too if you don't mind waiting on hold.

byte_fx
03-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey there JD-DCH .... you look kinda familiar also.

Far as I know Newtek's emails aren't being blocked. Just got a reply from tech support the other day. Of course that's a different addy.

Anyway - I've checked the filters on the email addys I use - all of them are set to accept anything from Newtek.

I've included those alternate addys in the messages as backups but nothing there either. They're on entirely seperate servers and connections.

Probably just fell thru a crack somewhere - but I'd kind of like to get it fixed for the upgrade deal. Like I said - Newtek's customer support has always been good before.

I changed my registered address about a year ago and had been getting emails about seminars and such up to about two weeks ago. That same addy is also the same one the order confirmation and tracking data went to.

byte_fx

jgj
03-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Thought I'd add my two cents...

Although I purchased the LW8 upgrade, direct from NewTek, back in October, I have YET to receive an email informing me how to receive the promised UVEdit software.

So, I did the obvious thing: I emailed customer support to ask about it. Five days later I heard from Marvin Miller. Unfortunately, the answer was only for folks who _didn't_ purchase direct. So, I responded requesting info pertaining to my direct purchase.

It's been a week now, and no response from Marvin or anyone else at NewTek.

This is Customer Service?

-James Jones

byte_fx
03-23-2004, 11:58 AM
OK - sent the info in again for 7.0 (as proof that I owned 7.0) along with the 7.5 cd info.

Guess what - this morning I got an email registering ...... 7.0 all over again. Does this mean I can now buy another 8.0 upgrade for $495?

Just kidding - but I'm beginning to wonder what the heck is going on at cs.

Like I've said this is the first time I've had less than great response - but it's turning out to be a real, real, real mess.

byte_fx - checking out other 3D packages

*** and his typing ***

jevinstudios
03-25-2004, 06:37 AM
The email was sent to those users registered with the NewTek US office, for whom we had email addresses. Probably some percentage of those email addresses were obsolete, so we reached some subset of US registered users.

Sorry, Chuck -- not the case. I'm registered, verified, and even called again to make sure my email address on file was updated. Still no email (and YES, I DID re-purchase the 7.5 to 8 upgrade deal -- got it directly from your inhouse Sales Department, even tho I already had v.7.5c....).

Must admit, you guyz are very disorganized there. Becoming less and less impressed with this whole upgrade mess as time progresses. Kinda surprised that NewTek would take $$ so early (beginning last year) for an upgrade that has yet to materialize. This does not bode well.

Anyway, guess I'll be out of the loop until this software ships, and HOPEFULLY, will not have to call NewTek and beg for it to be sent to me if I'm missed.....

What a mess.

Chuck
03-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi, Kevin!

Beats me what is going on, as we do have your info in both the registration database and in the sales database. Somehow when we queried the sales database the first time it did not pick you up, and since then our queries have been date-range based which would not pick up anything outside the range.

I'm working with the CS Manager and our database manager to make sure that we get you in the next mailing.

JD-DCH
03-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Well, a company having customer service/database problems certainly isn't anything new. Heck, I'd be leary of the company that claimed to have never experienced a mess. The defining element is what's done to correct it.

I'm not entirely sure what's delayed the release of 8 but presume it's centered on bug fixes. As was said before, I'd rather wait a bit to get it functional than to get it earlier but buggy.

Thanks for the freebie by the way. Although I haven't installed it yet, it looks to be a nice feature add-on.

Oh, and the March 21st sale ending is still on the newtek index page ... oversight or extended?

JD - the one what eagerly awaits 8.0

jevinstudios
03-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Right on, Chuck! Thanks for taking the time to look into the issue. Now THAT'S quality customer service for ya!

K

Chuck
03-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Hi, Kevin!

After further review, we have no idea why you did not receive the email - I couldn't find it in the original list on my first pass, but subsequently I checked again and I confirmed that you were listed in the spreadsheet, and that your information had imported properly to our email merge list. The only thing that occurs to me is that it may not have made it past your spam filters.

In any case, I've emailed you the information and your UV Edit Pro serial number. Please let me know if that gets through.

jevinstudios
03-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey, Chuck -- appreciate all the hard work -- I now owe you an apology; I thought this thread was in response to the new one in the LW Community section about the new email from NewTek supposedly sent out (yesterday?) about the potential release window period of LW8 (?) -- as the thread stated the email requested not to post info publicly, the people on the thread weren't getting specific, and when I saw this one comin' to the top of the General Discussion section, I thought the 2 were related.

I DID receive the UV Edit Pro email a while back, and am licensed and up-an-running.

As if you don't have enuff on your plate, here you are working so hard on my behalf!! Again, many , MANY thanks for the extra effort, and I sincerely apologize for the confusion. You are truly the BEST in the biz, Dude!

I guess I can ask, now, if the thread I'm referring to in the other forum is legit, and if I will be getting THAT email..... (Actually, the only real mess around here (as I so put in my previous post) is turning out to be me!) JEEEEEEEEZ..... Am truly embarrassed.

byte_fx
03-25-2004, 12:25 PM
OK - called Newtek and got evetything starightened out - far as I know.

The cs rep was very helpful and when the call ended I'd received an email with the dl link for the freebie.

Installed and used the on-line registration to get the activation code - worked flawkessly. Much better than the one to register LW/VT3.

Pretty much back to being a happy camper.

Hmm .... now where did I put that dl link for the beta version of 8.0 ..... ;)

byte_fx

jclarrey247
03-25-2004, 12:54 PM
So if I just got my copy of Lightwave and got it registered Monday(or was it Tuesday?) and I have the free upgrade to 8.0, when it comes out, would I still recieve this freebie? Is there an official update somewhere on Lightwave's site that tells the status? I have sent emails but when I called to get mine registered the CS rep didnt ask for my email...not sure if he already had it...? But I did email yesterday asking to see if they did have it connected with name.

Really though, I am a first time user and loving Lightwave, so far with what I have learned. Macintosh user...from what I have seen there are a few bugs with those of us running Panther on a G5.

Jarod
[email protected]

Chuck
03-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by jevinstudios
Hey, Chuck -- appreciate all the hard work -- I now owe you an apology; I thought this thread was in response to the new one in the LW Community section about the new email from NewTek supposedly sent out (yesterday?) about the potential release window period of LW8 (?) -- as the thread stated the email requested not to post info publicly, the people on the thread weren't getting specific, and when I saw this one comin' to the top of the General Discussion section, I thought the 2 were related.

I DID receive the UV Edit Pro email a while back, and am licensed and up-an-running.

As if you don't have enuff on your plate, here you are working so hard on my behalf!! Again, many , MANY thanks for the extra effort, and I sincerely apologize for the confusion. You are truly the BEST in the biz, Dude!

I guess I can ask, now, if the thread I'm referring to in the other forum is legit, and if I will be getting THAT email..... (Actually, the only real mess around here (as I so put in my previous post) is turning out to be me!) JEEEEEEEEZ..... Am truly embarrassed.

Actually, you were on the list to which the email regarding the extension of the specials was sent, but not with the same email address as we show in the sales database, and it does not match the one that now shows in registration. The list used was originally pulled over a month ago, so those who updated their info or bought new in the last 30 days did not receive the email about the specials being extended. That was really the most substantive info in the email, though, so missing it does not mean you missed major news, especially since you've already purchased an upgrade with special.

jevinstudios
03-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Weird! I updated my address with Customer Service about a month ago or so, and hoped that it would be adjusted across the board. It looks like you've got 3 (or more) different databases you work off of, all with different email addresses. I'll call CS again today and see if I can get that straightened out.

Thanks, Chuck!!

K

Chuck
03-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Kevin, as nearly as I can tell it is straightened out, since both the Sales Order DB and the Registration DB show the correct address, and we will not be re-using the month-old registration DB export with the incorrect info - we'll output a new query from registration before emailing registered users again.

jevinstudios
03-25-2004, 03:31 PM
I got the same info when I called and spoke to Richard (who is a top-notch CS Rep!!!). Looks like all is good to go, and I'll be gettin' all the goodies NT throws out to the public!

If anyone has ANY doubts whatsovever about NewTek's loyalty and dedication to their customer base, let me put them to rest right now, as the service and response I've received today by Chuck and Richard has gone 200% above-and-beyond the highest standards of professionalism.

A class-act crew, if I may say so myself.

Thanks guyz!!!!

byte_fx
03-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Gotta ditto that. Talked to Richard also.

As I've said I was surprised it even came up in the first place - the cs has always been great.

byte_fx