PDA

View Full Version : uv eps exporting

ginhan
03-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Two questions

1) sometimes when I export my uv in eps format, nothing is exported!! any idea what I'm doing wrong?

2) when exporting works, the eps has "other kinds of lines" in the file
Is there a way to export a clean eps? From my uv window, it looks clean.

thanks

mkiii
03-02-2004, 12:57 PM
1) Sometimes that just seems to happen. But make sure you have some UVs visible in the UV viewport, or you won't get anything. Having multiple layers selected seems to work OK.
Also, don't forget to set the View to Texture UV in the export dialog.

2) Again. Something that just happens. This is usually caused by polygon borders between 2 materials on the UV Map, where a vertex is effectively sharing a surface, or is shared between UV Maps if you have more than one.

Doing a cut & paste of the polys contained in each map clears the offending stray polys. Or just do an unweld on the whole thing.

ginhan
03-02-2004, 10:49 PM
1) Yeah, I checked to make sure the window is in UV..
Checked when exporting the dropdown says uv also..
When nothing exported, I went and used a screen capture.

2) When you say "unweld the whole thing" ,should just leave it like that?! Unwelded?

I read in the manual that if there are "messy" textures, then I should unweld it and move the polygons around? I was afraid to try that.

What are some other ways of handling "messy" textures?

as you can tell, I'm still new at the stuff.

thanks.

mkiii
03-03-2004, 04:41 AM
1) I do get the NON Export thing occasionally - I use it a lot BTW - and it's usually caused by something odd in the mesh.

Look for the usual suspects. make sure your mesh is good. No 2 point polys, nothing hidden & so on. I'm not sure exactly why it happens - but it usually comes right after a little fiddling. You can also avoid the shared surface thing by re-applying the surface to each uv set which has the effect of removing the 'other' surface from the shared vertices (you can check this by selecting a vertex before & after & pressing 'i' ).

AFAIK you can only guarantee a 100% clean eps export if you have one UV one surface and one mesh. Otherwise, you may have to be a little inventive to get it right. Personally, I just tend to put up with it & ignore the glitches.

2) I meant unweld it just for the export of the EPS. You can merge the shared edges back afterwards, or just carry out an Undo.

One thing you should look out for is polys that have more than one UV map applied. This can make things look bad in an EPS. This can happen when you copy a selection to a new UV map, and forget to go back & remove the polys from the original map.