PDA

View Full Version : Escape behavior

kjak
03-01-2004, 09:40 PM
For God's Sake NT, please fix the stupid little thing in Modeler that makes Escape tell it to NOT save your freaking model and go ahead and close modeler anyway!!!!!!!!!

If you accidentally tell modeler to close before saving your object you are given a pop-up that asks "Do you want to save your object before closing" - Yes - No - Cancel

Every other program on the planet, including Layout treats the Escape key as Cancel. But noooooooo, modeler decides to treat Escape as "No, don't worry about the work I just busted my arse to get done, go ahead and throw all that away, cause I'm the freaking water boy!!!!"

OK, so maybe I'm being a bit emotional, but for God's sake, be consistent, OK?! I would understand if Escape didn't mean cancel anywhere else in your program, but it only seems to be different in this one extremely vital case.

FIX THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!

sorry for the yelling, but I'm a bit ticked off right now.

thank you . . .

hrgiger
03-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Well, you could try using your mouse to close modeler to be sure you've saved your work instead of relying on what other programs treat the escape key as. You can also set up incremental saves through the hub.

kjak
03-03-2004, 08:20 AM
That's all well and good, but I don't have problems when I intend to quit or close the object, cause I know the bug exists. (and yes, this should be considered a bug)

The problem comes when I accidentally hit Q when going for a different hotkey (like S, perhaps), or in the case I had before where caps lock was on, and I hit Q by accident trying to hit Tab. The same issue comes up when closing an object, as well, btw.

See, when you work with a hotkey mentality, you go into auto pilot a lot of the time, and when you hit the wrong button, escape usually cancels whatever you were about to do, so I often hit escape without thinking about it. It should never, under any circumstance throw away all my work.

And workflow aside, this is simply inconsistency on the behavior of the program, and that shouldn't be acceptable. Nearly every other pop up window in Modeler treats escape as cancel, and in Layout as well.

Escape means cancel. Period. This should be considered a bug and treated as such.

FIX THIS DAMMIT!

. . . please . . .