PDA

View Full Version : Title Wave

icdeadmonks
03-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know how I would go about making a title wave out of water in lightwave 7? I have made water and I've gotten it to move in a bunch of small waves by means of a null, but I can't figure out how to make one huge title wave. Any help is appreciated.

siproductions
03-01-2004, 11:02 PM
I would use an animated displacement map to make my wave. You will need to use particles as well to get the spray and other effects to look right. Or you could just buy realwave.:D Hope that helps.

prospector
03-01-2004, 11:44 PM
With either of those ways you'd only get a large wave, which would be just high.
A tidal wave would have a curl to it (well once it got to a depth of water equil to it's height).

That you would have to model.
Maby a good sized wave with a ridge of bones or even the motion spline that Proton just made a preview of on another thread.
Actually that would be the best way to go.

JohnMarchant
03-02-2004, 09:20 AM
I tried this some time ago, i made a subpatched water plane (flat), the copy paste to another layer then, shaped it into a tidal wave, saved both separatley, then in Layout, ued morph from one to the other. worked quite well for me, obviously, less control the using bones or nulls to control, but it depends what you want to see, i would be interested to see the results, John

Yeah and obviously particles for spray

Zach
03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Actually, I think it is a missconception that tidal waves curl. At least, that's what they told us in school when I lived in Hawaii. They just keep going until they are petered out. I would imagine they still have spray like any other wave.

I guess they don't curl because they are more shaped like a mound and don't have sharp peaks like a regular wave you surf on.

Of course it is more dramatic to have a huge lip crashing into the surface of the water or destroying houses and stuff ;)

papou
03-04-2004, 09:25 AM
got no success with wave curls but Hv is nice to make the foam!
http://mapage.noos.fr/webto/Files/gallery/wave.jpg (http://mapage.noos.fr/webto/Files/gallery/wave.avi)
[1,14Mo Divix 5.0.5 Codec]

artologist
03-04-2004, 11:02 AM
That is awesome! Any chance of getting the scene and pieces. Your ocean water is great. Good work.

Zach
03-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Neato!

anieves
03-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Don't waves only curl when they are collapsing? I think Zach is right.

papou: that's a very nice scene!:cool:

prospector
03-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Yep, they curl when colapsing, same for all waves.

Once the height of wave is more than depth(as measured from base of wave) of water they begin to colapse. Which is why on calmer days the waves break close to shore and stormy days (bigger waves) they break farthur out.
In depth (in mid ocean) a tidal wave is mostly un-noticable unless you are watching altimmeter closely.
The Captain of our Navy ship use to have to tell us when one passed us.