PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Would you like to see the CG overhauled?

Jim Capillo
03-01-2004, 05:51 PM
How important is Newtek's overhaul of the CG to you in your everyday use of it ?

prospector
03-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Extremely!!

It's about the only real critique I've had on the VT

robewil
03-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Of course the real question is could Newtek incorporate the features we want without doing an "overhaul"? I'm hoping so, since I, personally am fine with the user-interface and features. I just want better scrolling and stability.

Kurt_Henning
03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
I would forget that stuff. What if CG worked JUST LIKE POSITION PANEL?

Is that a concept?

I think the scrolling improved in the last release myself.

ScorpioProd
03-01-2004, 10:22 PM
IMHO, the changes to the VT[3] CG relative to the VT[2] CG were superficial GUI and not the engine underneath.

My opinion is it should be a fully redone CG, OR a third-party CG bought and integrated into the VT.

There are many feature type issues in the current CG that have never went away, like no way to set text justification that STICKS while you do input. I've never seen any other CG that lacked this simple and expected ability.

Stuff like focus leaving the text input window when you change text styles, which I typcially do on every other line... How do I continue typing? I have to gently select the text input window without moving the cursor... A real pain, honestly.

The CG is still the weakest module in the VT[3], just as it was in VT[2].

robewil
03-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Kurt_Henning
I think the scrolling improved in the last release myself. It's still not slow enough. I know there are workarounds and I use them but I really would like to have more control over scroll speeds.

prospector
03-01-2004, 11:37 PM
I keep asking myself the same question..

If the Amiga could do it with 2 megs video ram then a PC with 64 megs video ram SHOULD give just as clean if not better sloooowwww scroll.

Was the Amiga THAT much better????

Even now,with all the much much faster computers and video cards??

Woa!!! I just had an apiffany..

Maby the computers are soo fast now that they can't be slowed down:D

jbcaro
03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
My vote is for an complete overhaul of CG. Jack up the antenna ball and slide a completely new application under it. I know this may sound a little bold, but I was thinking of something on the lines of LiveType. Have I asked for too much?

John :D

bradl
03-02-2004, 10:08 PM
In addition to almost anything suggested, integration with the VTEdit would be nice!

tfrank
03-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Something HAS to change! I would vote for Newtek to forget putting any more resources into writing code for this project UNLESS they are on the edge of a major upgrade. Those coding resources could be used elsewhere. I would suggest that arrangements be made for a 3rd party (perhaps user choice of 2-3) character generator be offered. My favorite is the Deko software from Pinnacle...not only because we use it on three other boxes in-house (we're a TV station), but because it's built for ease of use(GUI), over all speed, connectivity with other file formats (even Chyron), great quality, is software based like the toaster, and has some neat effects within the software. The only downside to going to a 3rd party package is the potential for finger pointing when things go bad between software in the box. The Pinnacle software and service has been rock solid for us. Thanks for the opportunity for the input!

Tim Johnson
03-04-2004, 08:16 AM
I like the drawing tools in there, but yes, it'd be cool to have an overhaul in there. The CG from Play (GlobalStreams) did a pretty nice job with images and alpha channels. I like the title tool within Premiere Pro as well. It's nice to adjust leading, kerning, etc. on specific groups of text. As long as we're dreamin, it'd be nice to be able to do some image manipulation within there, too, a la Photoshop.

I think they've got a good base in there. I'm not sure how much time and resources it would take to work out all the gremlins.

ScorpioProd
03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
See, that's the thing, there are plenty of needs that Newtek is no doubt working on for future versions of the VT, but they only have limited resources available.

So, logically, if there is a really good CG program already out there, licensing it into the VT package seems like the most logical thing to do.

Realize, the current CG isn't so "integrated" into the system that a third-party CG couldn't easily replace it. It's not like there are plug-ins for the current CG into VT-Edit or anything like that. Therefore, using a third-pary CG wouldn't be losing ANY current connectivity. Ironically, adding PowerCG+ to SpeedRazor in VT[1] was MORE integrated than this, with a true plug-in to the time-line!

And honestly, I've seen the evolution of the current CG from VT[2] to VT[3], and honestly, I'm not that impressed.

Dwight Gruber
03-05-2004, 10:58 AM
The CG module is a decent little titler, with some good capabilities and some real problems. Calling it a Character Generator is a complete misnomer, as it lacks crucial functions and capabilities which any basic broadcast CG has.

The Development Team needs to spend time examining and using a Deko CG product and/or an Inscriber CG, enough time to understand how they actually work in use and how they are different from a titler, land then emulate their functions.

Otherwise they are wasting theirs and ours, all of our time.

--Dwight

Jim Capillo
03-10-2004, 04:52 PM
bump

ScorpioProd
03-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Another thing the CG really needs is a 16:9 ability. VT-Edit will work fine with anamorphic 16:9, but the CG won't.

tfrank
03-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Has anyone noticed that over 93% of the folks that have responded to the poll so far, really want some changes to Toaster CG? Of course, those that are unhappy with any product are pretty vocal. Still, in combination with previous posts in this forum over the months/years, the disgruntled masses are speaking. "Can you hear us now"?

Jim Capillo
03-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by tfrank
Has anyone noticed that over 93% of the folks that have responded to the poll so far, really want some changes to Toaster CG? Of course, those that are unhappy with any product are pretty vocal. Still, in combination with previous posts in this forum over the months/years, the disgruntled masses are speaking. "Can you hear us now"?

Well, yes and no. With over 340 page views and only 33 votes, there seems to be a lot more folks that don't have an opinion. :eek:

(I know - a lot of people visit multiple times to read and/or see what the vote is)

Rich Deustachio
03-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Heck I've been in here 150 times myself :)

wvp
03-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Well I've viewed the pages AND I have just posted my vote (Completly redo it).
I think it got much more "workable" in VT3, but I agree it has a way to go.
I too would LOVE to see a "LiveType" program - my editors do some amazing things using just the basic features of LiveType in a very short amount of time. Not only are they able to create text that moves in creative ways they also use it to create multi image video - very cool!

I've said this before but it bears repeating - I am in charge of three VT3 systems. I am not interested in shelling out another $1785 (for VT4) when the CG program that I have paid for is this far behind the curve.

marjopar
03-31-2004, 01:28 AM
After reading the suggestions I thought maybe if Newtek wants to have a better CG, why not using Scala MM. I used to work with it a long time ago with the Amiga. In those days it was fast and fantastic. Easy to use, with a very good interface.