PDA

View Full Version : VT 3 Hardware

Hetar
03-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Quick question: Was just wondering if there are actual hardware differences between VT1, VT2, and VT3. And if so, what are the main differences? I have seen several VT1 and VT2 cards around for sale that would actually be alot cheaper and then I could just upgrade to VT3 if there is no hardware difference? Let me know what your thoughts are on this one guys. Thanks :cool:

ted
03-14-2003, 01:04 AM
While I hear there have been some minor free modifications in the very early Toaster 1 cards, you can surely count on most of those, and all Toaster cards running VT2's will work with VT3.

It's really amazing that something Tim and his buddies created so long ago, can still work with all the improved versions of software.
That's something I don't think any other company can say.

In fact, most companies seem to thrive on the fact that every couple years, they move on to something new and drop the old stuff cold, along with their customers!:mad:

I'm not sure though if NewTek will be able to accomplish High Def with the same card. But they have managed PAL/NTSC, so you just never know.

GeorgeLin
03-15-2003, 01:58 AM
I'm interested to know if the hardware shipping with VT3 will be different.

Specifically, I'm wondering if
1. 3.3V compatibility
2. 64-bit/66MHz support

Faraz
03-15-2003, 08:55 AM
I seriously doubt that VT3 will require a new board such as 66Mhz, PCI bus. The Toaster was built to grow forever on the speed of your processor. The editor will probably not require a faster bus card, unless TED goes HD, the swicher on the otherhand could use it. For more inputs and etc.

GeorgeLin
03-15-2003, 09:01 AM
I'm sort of thinking the opposite.

ie.
Will T3 have new hardware available with the software being backwardly compatible with both the new and old hardware?

So, all T2 people will then be able to take advantage of T3, but the newer hardware will allow T3 to be used in more machines or allow more flexibility for installation.

My concern really is that there are some motherboards now with just a single 5V PCI slot, and 4 or 5 (3.3V) PCI-X slots (which the toaster will not go into).

George

GeorgeLin
03-24-2003, 11:16 PM
Can someone tell me if the current VT2 card is a 3.3V or a 5V card?

Blaine Holm
03-25-2003, 05:57 PM
3.3v