PDA

View Full Version : Morph Mixer Demo

WilliamVaughan
03-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Todays demo is teh new and improved Morph Mixer. Adn as a bonus a demo of Spline Control. SPline Control is in the current build (7.5c) and a few people asked about it...so here it is :)

LW 8 Morph Mixer: 9 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/morphmixer_001.avi

LW 7.5c Spline Control : 14 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/splinecontrol.avi

***Attention***
You will need the codec below to view these videos. When installing a new Codec it is sometimes necessary to restart your machine.

PC Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

Mac Codec( Direct Link):
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpen_macosx.dmg

***Quicktime Versions can be found here:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/mov/

TSpyrison
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Wow, Thats a pretty scary lookin character in the morphmixer demo..

Wonder what It's supposed to be..

:D

WilliamVaughan
03-01-2004, 02:25 PM
some geeky Lightave artist turned Seuss style probably :P

WizCraker
03-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Who modeled it?

Stupid question, I know.

riki
03-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks Proton, great to see more videos coming through.

RomainR
03-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the vids.

How do you get the spline to show up in Layaout. That part got cropped out of the video and I can't seem to find the magic button.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

WilliamVaughan
03-01-2004, 03:07 PM
It is on interface in Eight but in 7.5 you will have to load it on interface manually. Look in your additional drop down list or use :

Alt + F10 to add it manually

Yog
03-01-2004, 03:10 PM
I noticed on the Morph Mixer demo that each time you went to "display all" the side scroll bar didn't appear until you altered the size of the window. A bug to fix ?

BTW - Being able to drag and drop morphs into different tabs looks a really nice feature :)

Karmacop
03-01-2004, 03:25 PM
The new morph mixer looks great but ... the sliders don't look like the rest of the sliders in Lightwave .. I hope not anyway .. ;)

prospector
03-01-2004, 03:44 PM
A most superior job on the Morph Mixer !!

Thanks David !!

RomainR
03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks Proton. Spline control is lot's O fun.

prospector
03-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Spline Control???
Where is it??
I don't have it with my 7.5C...
on ANY dropdown listings
I looked in the plugin folder and still didn't see it.

Does it go by another name??

RomainR
03-01-2004, 05:16 PM
hit the alt+F10 and in the left hand column you'll find it listed in the tools.

Add it where it pleases your workflow and hit done.

WilliamVaughan
03-01-2004, 05:16 PM
It is on interface in Eight but in 7.5 you will have to load it on interface manually. Look in your additional drop down list or use :

Alt + F10 to add it manually

WilliamVaughan
03-01-2004, 05:17 PM
In the command list it is in the Tools Section....add it to any place onteh interface u like

prospector
03-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Nope...not there

did a search of computer

"start"
"search"
"search for files or folders"

for any file with 'spline' in it

got these on full compy search

FreezeSpline.lsc
Spline2Guide.ls
Splinerator_1.15.ls
the splinecontrol movie I downloaded
and 4 spline .avi from the DFX proggy

would it part of another plugin with a different name?

cresshead
03-01-2004, 06:07 PM
re lw8 i'm hoping that nearly everything has an"e" for envelope next to it nowdays...like the noisey channel for example.

steve g

WCameron
03-01-2004, 06:22 PM
its in Splinamate.p in the Animation folder in the Plugins folder.

- Will.

RomainR
03-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Prospector.

The plugin file is named splinamate.p and is found in the Plugins/Animate folder.

To use it go to the objects properties panel on the deform tab.
the Add displacement drop down should have Spline control.

Now to be able to see the splinecontrol in Layout you have to add the spline control button to the interface. To do so go to the edit menu panel Alt+F10 and on the left hand side got to the Tools and you'll see the Splinecontrol. Now add it to a menu on the right hand side: IE: Main Menu->Items->Tools.

Now you can have loads of fun with Spline control.

Imageshoppe
03-01-2004, 06:31 PM
The morph mixer demo movie shows all the organizational and workflow changes with morph mixer... I was REALLY hoping to see some core operational and function improvements as well...

Such as;

multiple morphs controlled by a single slider WITHOUT scripting or expressions or third party kludges.

Example of needed feature:

First, make eye-lid targets such as;

lid.open,
lid.midpoint
lid.closed

Then be able to control progression from target to target with assignable %, all from one slider.

Finally, to make the day really nice; have that motion progression not be linear, but splined interpolated between them!

These are all OLD, OLD requests, dating back to Morph Gizmo days. Any chance we're seeing something like this in 8? Wait, I'll answer my own question, silently to myself. :(

Jim Arthurs

c i k l o n
03-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Hej Imageshoppe are you think on NonLinerMorphMD ? -->http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/

I have NonLinerMorphMD_v2.6 and it works bat no in real time.

( sorry for my english)

Imageshoppe
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by c i k l o n
Hej Imageshoppe are you think on NonLinerMorphMD ? -->http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/

I have NonLinerMorphMD_v2.6 and it works bat no in real time.

( sorry for my english)

Hello, yes I've seen it before, but my understanding was the latest build of LScript and LW 7.5c rendered it unusable.

I'll take another look at it, thank you.

Still, we need abilities such as this within LW's morph mixer, I think...

Thanks.

Jim Arthurs

grnbriar
03-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Hi,

No the sliders are different as those are what are currently available to plugins. We are supposed to be able to shift over to the nice tree control type bar sliders with the next small update. The new sliders are in the works. But weren't available for the first 8 version.

The vertical slider that scrolls through the morphs only appears if there are more sliders to be currently displayed than will fit on the current size of the adjustable morph mixer panel. So if all sliders can be displayed, there is no control slider. It will appear if you shrink the panel to cover up some of the morph sliders.

David
grnbriar

Karmacop
03-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks David. Are you working at NewTek now or are you just contracted? Are you responsible for the game format importers/exporters? Will there be an md3 importer/exporter? Thanks :)

Exper
03-02-2004, 02:53 AM
Great stuffs!

But... vertical sliders should be long as the window! ;)

I've used many time the splinamate.p...
but mine shows: "CurveConform" + "CurveConstraint" + "ShowCurve" and needs and embedded spline!
Do I have an old version? I dunno! :o

Bye.

pixym
03-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Romain,

Si t'es en manque de Soleil, viens faire un tour en Guadeloupe ou en Martinique... les iles du pacifiques sont bien elles aussi.

Emmanuel
03-02-2004, 05:58 AM
Sorry, if that is too harsh: but why in hell do You guys at NT put everything horizontally...wouldn't (especially in the case of morph mixer)
it be way better if the morph sliders where arranged below the Options instead of right of the options ?
I mean, its *obvious* that the current way is cluttering the screen and will keep me busy moving the panel here and there just to see my model.
If the sliders where arranged in a vertical fashion, it would be way more efficient...

papou
03-02-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Imageshoppe
I was REALLY hoping to see some core operational and function improvements as well...
Look like we got UI imporvement only from NT.
we need to wait for Smartmorph, Polas is working hard to make us a improved Morph tool.
http://smorph.polas.net/smorph/

prospector
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Emmanuel

Dunno bout that..
I got some models with over 500 morphs (when using Lip Sync) and the way it is now, I can bring the menu to the other monitor and open it full on, and have all the morphs listed on left and corresponding sliders on right.

Looks like with the new layout, it will do better, even with the tabs we have now (that I can't read anyways cuz there are so many), are going to be readable.

Emmanuel
03-02-2004, 08:11 AM
1) But can You keep an eye on the actual morphing object AND the slider
when You use two monitors ? I guess You can't, I prefer to have the MM GUI as close to the model as possible, I am no chameleon...

2)I tried a two monitor setup once, but it wasn't to my taste, actually.

3)I guess most customers don't have a two monitor setup.
4)There is no reason to *not* offer the option to place the sliders
below the options, except for LWs outdated, non-dockable architecture

You can do such things with almost any program today, not with LW, which is
stuck in the mid-90s, GUIwise.Heck, even on the Amiga I could dock/undock stuff on the Workbench, in apps such as C4D, Photogenics etc...
It never bothered me too much, but as time goes on, the once uncluttered interface hasn't been improved and from all the intelligent GUI-proposals we already saw in the past on this forum, nothing was implemented.Its still the old, unflexible LW-GUI as it was in 1995.
I wonder why Layout sliders are on a transprent background, but nothing else seems to be able to work with a transparent background.
Morph Mixer would be ideal to be on a transparent GUI, because its vital to see Your changes in realtime, but NT just doesn't get it, and I am fed up with it, sorry.If You see stuff like that happen over and over again with each revision (especially the ones labeled "focus on workflow"), You really wonder if there are GUI designers at NT at all :/

Imageshoppe
03-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by papou
Look like we got UI imporvement only from NT.
we need to wait for Smartmorph, Polas is working hard to make us a improved Morph tool.
http://smorph.polas.net/smorph/

Papou, thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of this plugin. It shows promise, but...

...Sadly, it's only a non-saving beta and the last work done on it was June of 2003. :(

It does show the kind of features that Newtek should be integrating into Morph Mixer.

After the "shock and awe" of FPrime, the video demos from Newtek just don't generate any level of excitement. The Morph Mixer demo drove that point home. The gist of it was "Look, we re-organized the sliders and how they are grouped!".

I'm not saying that the re-organizing effort is bad, but it reminds me of a TV commercial I saw a few years ago, where a woman is standing beside a formal dining room table saying to the camera, "I can't cook, but I can set a nice table". Newtek needs to show us they still know how to cook.

I'm half expecting the next video to be about exciting changes in the "About Box". Maybe they can add that long needed key-board shortcut to it. ;)

Jim Arthurs

badllarma
03-02-2004, 12:01 PM
idealy I'd like to see the morphs go the way of the sliders tools , totally trasparent apart from the bars themselves then there is no need to be moving anything about. :)

cresshead
03-02-2004, 12:16 PM
you can use "sliders" h.u.d for morphs..are you asking for the default way that morphs work to use the slider h.u.d way rather than a non see thru panel?

my solution is a second monitor...put your panels on that..no need for see thru panels then!

badllarma
03-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
you can use "sliders" h.u.d for morphs..are you asking for the default way that morphs work to use the slider h.u.d way rather than a non see thru panel?

my solution is a second monitor...put your panels on that..no need for see thru panels then!

cool never done that?
What I mean is as you say the default should be hud the once your in layout you don't have to waist time setting up the sliders.

"my solution is a second monitor...put your panels on that..no need for see thru panels then!"

are but I'm thinking of having FPrime running at full screen on the second monitor :D

Dr. Dardis
03-02-2004, 10:41 PM

I'm half expecting the next video to be about exciting changes in the "About Box". Maybe they can add that long needed key-board shortcut to it. ;)

Jim Arthurs

Hahahaha. I am feeling a bit the same unfortunately.

I would love to see more on the IK booster. I want to know if you can animate pinning and unpinning the nodes. Juicy stuff that makes a difference, you know.

I found the Expression builder video very intriguing and exciting, and the first IK boost vid, showing the new constraint system. I am just not all that excited about most of the other videos, especially this one.

I am not putting the boot in, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, Just saying what I would like to see :)

Chris.

Imageshoppe
03-02-2004, 10:57 PM
I agree completely! Let's see some meat!

More IK and dynamics and soft body demos!

Remember that "work in progress" video that Proton shared with us of the wrecking ball crashing through the brick building? How did that turn out?

I remember the the individual bricks flopping around like they were dying fish out of water towards the end of the piece.

I'd love to see the latest greatest dynamics work, or any examples that are no longer considered "works in progress".

Speaking of balls crashing through brick walls, can the new hard-body dynamics behave as good as this example?

http://www.finalrender.com/products/feature.asp?UD=10-7888-35-788&PID=36&FID=375

(click on the picture towards the bottom of the page to load the animation.)

Jim Arthurs

nixx
03-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Speaking of balls crashing through brick walls, can the new hard-body dynamics behave as good as this example?

http://www.finalrender.com/products/feature.asp?UD=10-7888-35-788&PID=36&FID=375

Wow. That's amazing. It's all primitive boxes and a primitive ball, but this looks fantastic (I don't mean the rendering, I mean the dynamics). One can only hope (dream?) that the dynamics system in L8 is this good.

nick

Imageshoppe
03-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by nixx
Wow. That's amazing. It's all primitive boxes and a primitive ball, but this looks fantastic (I don't mean the rendering, I mean the dynamics). One can only hope (dream?) that the dynamics system in L8 is this good.

nick

I agree Nick, I'm not even pretending to hope that the new hardbody dynamics are that good, I'd just be happy if they generated robust simulations on something 1/3 as complex.

Here's my "Newtek Challenge of the Week".

If the deadline for releasing LW8 is only three weeks away, surely there's an existing example AVI of hardbody dynamics that Newtek is happy about, and could be shared with us? ;)

Jim Arthurs

Dr. Dardis
03-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Yeah, that vid was done with reactor in Max (i am guessing). I am not the worlds biggest MAX fan (we hates it precious), I use it only when I have to, but Reactor and the new particle stuff is pretty good. The node based approach is really good for particles, much esier to set up complex and dynamic effects. Still a poor mans houdini :) but better than the current FX we have available.

oh yeah, don't shoot. just stating opinion on one area :).

Chris.

(I always get nervous entering these forums, its like the wild west :) )

sire
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
The added possibility to display active morphs only is nice. I observed while the drag'n'drop action of putting a morph into another group, that in one brief moment it appears morphs could be somehow parented to others; at least it looks like this is done in the Scene Editor. Is there really some meaning behind this? If yes - then what does it actually mean?

evenflcw
03-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Well spotted sire. I sure hope theres some functionality behind that. It would be real cool if you could group morphs under a common slider and then easily apply some expressions (, perhaps assisted by some presets in the new Expression Editor,) to tell them how to interact with eachother.

However, one would want a button to create a new blank slider (not already tied to an endomorph) for this, which I'm not seeing. Which brings me to another point. It would be nice if we had the Save Endomorph command in there somewhere (instead of under File>Save>; And fixed so you don't have to save/reload the object or start a new MorphMixer session for the slider to appear).

Once 8 is finally released NT is gonna get hammered with feature requests :)

However things may be, LW8 has some great improvements. Thanks for maintaining a steady stream of demovideos, Proton!