PDA

View Full Version : Simple request and ...

Elowan
02-29-2004, 08:05 AM
... probably mentioned before but I sure would be happy if LW would remember the texture files from the last Load/Save! I'm forever being pestered to 'find' the texture image.

I'm not alone in this. Let's fix this annoyance in next version plz.:mad:

BTW - if this has been mentioned in this forum before - sorry but I did a search and no luck.:eek:

Lamont
03-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Are you moving directories around? Did you get a file from another computer?

And did you set up your Content Directory correctly?

animotion
03-01-2004, 09:41 PM
This sounds like you need to check your settings. When you save your objects your textures should always load back in with no problem, as long as you don't change your objects location.

Animotion:)

Elowan
03-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Lamont
Are you moving directories around? Did you get a file from another computer?

And did you set up your Content Directory correctly?

No, no and yes

Elowan
03-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by animotion
This sounds like you need to check your settings. When you save your objects your textures should always load back in with no problem, as long as you don't change your objects location.

Animotion:)

Should and what really happens are two different animals. I'll load a file - deal with the 'can't find' issue - work on it - save it - and next time - same question.

Dodgy
03-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Do you save the objects as well as the scene file? Texture's paths are stored in the object file, not the scene file.

Elowan
03-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
Do you save the objects as well as the scene file? Texture's paths are stored in the object file, not the scene file.

I'm talking about an object file here not a scene file. I'm not the only one complaining about this. There have been any number of threads on this at LWG3D forum.

Lamont
03-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Well, I say just post a screen of your directory, and we can go from there.

Elowan
03-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Well, I say just post a screen of your directory, and we can go from there.

My dir points to my project directory (default) and within it are separate folders for each mesh. Is it that I have to change the default dir each time I work on a different mesh?

If that's the case - then LW is not saving the path with the object.

Or is it that the default should be only the root dir for the mesh sub-dirs (which it is already)? If that's the case - see paragraph above. In either event - my students can program better than that.

Lamont
03-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Elowan
My dir points to my project directory (default) and within it are separate folders for each mesh. Is it that I have to change the default dir each time I work on a different mesh? Are the images outside that directory?

Lamont
03-02-2004, 12:09 PM
When started LW a few years ago I made the directories wrong, I had problems locating the files on load. After I learned how to make them the right way, I have had no problems.

Alamo is the Content Directory, and inside are folders LW looks for.

Elowan
03-02-2004, 10:35 PM
When started LW a few years ago I made the directories wrong, I had problems locating the files on load. After I learned how to make them the right way, I have had no problems.

Alamo is the Content Directory, and inside are folders LW looks for.

From what you're showing me - LW has difficulty with sub-folders beyond 2 levels. That is - default -> model dir -> images/objects/scenes.

If that's the case - they need to recode that part of LW. Thnx

Lamont
03-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Are you sure? Maybe you should look again. This is the directory of my current project:

wiffzack
03-03-2004, 01:15 AM
I dont have those probs too.

Did you really set your content dir correctly?

Thats how i do it without any problems: Everytime i create a new project i create a new folder for this project and within this folder are the three main folders : objects, images, scenes. There could be a lot more folders for motions, surfaces, etc.

The Lightwave Content Dir from the CD seem to be wrong, isnt it? There are all projects in one content dir - i never used it like that...

And if i have images outside the content dir i save them with image editor to the right place.

Elowan
03-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by wiffzack

Did you really set your content dir correctly?

Thats how i do it without any problems: Everytime i create a new project i create a new folder for this project and within this folder are the three main folders : objects, images, scenes. There could be a lot more folders for motions, surfaces, etc.

I 'hear' what you're saying. Perhaps my point has gone missing in all this. I work on more than one mesh at a time sometimes. So all of my project folders are kept in another folder labled 'Projects' (strangely enough). Within this main folder I place additional folders containing the different meshes under development. These individual mesh folders all have the standard images/objects/scenes, etc folders.

My point is that LW is not saving the path information for more than 1 level with an object and it should. That's not hard to do. Having to change the default everytime I switch to a different folder within the main project folder (which I consider the default or root folder) is - frankly - a pain-in-the-*** and should be fixed.

Dodgy
03-03-2004, 09:24 AM
I do the same thing, have one main folder as my content dir, and then work with a lot of nested sub folders. I've never had a problem with LW finding paths to images/objects. I'm thinking you might have a problem somewhere. As long as I haven't moved my object/images, it loads them everytime, no matter where they're stored, eg in the nth subdirectory...

Noclar7
03-03-2004, 10:11 AM
I understand your frustration Elowan, and I do see where your going with this. but you can resolve this by sticking to the standard that has been set. I've had to beat this into my head due to network rendering, so it seem s second nature to me now.

with that said, yes, I still do think another option of content organization would be nice. but, I believe one of the reasons why the stucture is set like this is so you can share files with others, or load up documents from years past without a hassle. And since everything is layered and filed properly, there is no need for a massive (example: Max file) scene that binds everything to one file.

So, I guess maybe the option of having a traditional file system enabled, or a "loose" system that remembers specific content paths. (although, I think i would still stick to the traditional :) )

Cheers,

wiffzack
03-03-2004, 11:04 AM
These individual mesh folders all have the standard images/objects/scenes, etc folders.

I think thats the mistake. If you do this you have more than one content directory for ONE project. But you qant only one.

The content dir should only have the main folders. And if you want a better structure cause you work on a big project use the structure within the three folders. i.e. for some testmeshes

Objects/tests/surf_meshes/test.lwo

And the images all have the same path:

Images/tests/surf_meshes/img.png
etc.

And the same with scene files.

Elowan
03-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by wiffzack
I think thats the mistake. If you do this you have more than one content directory for ONE project. But you qant only one.

The content dir should only have the main folders. And if you want a better structure cause you work on a big project use the structure within the three folders. i.e. for some testmeshes

Objects/tests/surf_meshes/test.lwo

And the images all have the same path:

Images/tests/surf_meshes/img.png
etc.

And the same with scene files.

Perhaps I need to change my mindset and try your example - however - it seems to go against the expected windows paradigm.

So if I understand you - make a folder called Projects. Then within this folder have the usual Images/Objects/Scenes folders with individual mesh folders within each one?

Gadzooks! I'll try it but ...

Elowan
03-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Well - I did try what you suggested and reset my Default directory setting to point to the folder with my images/objects/scenes folders and it still can't find the textures without asking.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Nope,
This is what they are saying:
Let's say you make that Projects folder.
You would have inside it:
Project
- Images
- Objects
- Scenes
- Motions
- Etc.

From here you would place a folder/directory under each of these heading that is the name of your project:
- Images -> YourProj
- Objects -> YourProj
- Scenes -> YourProj
- Motions -> YourProj
- Etc. -> YourProj

Save respective items to respective directories and you will be good to go!

Originally posted by Elowan
Perhaps I need to change my mindset and try your example - however - it seems to go against the expected windows paradigm.

So if I understand you - make a folder called Projects. Then within this folder have the usual Images/Objects/Scenes folders with individual mesh folders within each one?

Gadzooks! I'll try it but ...

Elowan
03-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Well - I set my Default dir each time I work on a different mesh and when I reload it the next time - LW still can't find the texture files even when they're right under its nose.

So - I'll try it by doing what UnCommonGrafx suggests.