PDA

View Full Version : Clean alpha edges

cybis
02-28-2004, 07:45 PM
First off, thank you everyone for always helping with the random questions I present!

Today's challenge has to do with getting clean alpha edges on my DSK. I don't think this is necessarily a Toaster question, but since I'm using RTV files, it may be related.

When I render a title screen RTV file, the alpha doesn't seem to translate as clean as I'd expect. Notice the difference between what it should be and what I get. These images are actually from importing the rendered RTV back in after effects, but it's the same on the VT3 DSK. I've tried all kinds of rendering configurations, but nothing seems to resolve the problem. When I render a still frame, it works great. Any suggestions?

http://www.thinkcybis.com/media/alpha-test.jpg

Thanks!
Jeff

bradl
02-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Since no one has answered I will ask a couple of things. Where did you originally create the graphic? Is it 720 X 486 or a custom size? Does the Control Tree show the size to be 100%? Is it Pre-Multiplied alpha or not?

cybis
03-01-2004, 09:47 AM
I created the grafx in After Effects at 720x486. The image below is actually from After Effects when I reimported the rendered video, so it's not a VT3 problem specifically. I believe the image below is straight/unmatted. Premultiplied looks worse, with a black halo around "no way".

Am I the only one having this problem? Perhaps I'm overlooking something altogether. Does anyone have a sample AE project with their saved and high quality render settings that they could send? Thanks!!

Jeff

RomainR
03-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Maybe a stupid question but , did you check your fielding?

You might have to try to invert the field order.

bradl
03-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Definately looks like only one field in the image above at least in the alpha channel. Assuming when you play you are still not getting the other field interlacing it seems as if a setting on import, export or render dropped you down to one field. De-fielding filter would have the same effect.

bradl
03-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Er, bad info: de-fielding filter did not look like that. VT's de-fielder is a bit smarter, it does more a blend or average of the fields, but removing movement.