PDA

View Full Version : A few things I'd like to know...

UEI
02-28-2004, 01:15 PM
These are a few Anime's that I'd like to know if used the same style as Understanding Chaos:

*Witch Hunter Robin
*SD Gundam
*Outlaw Star
*All or some of Blue Sub 6

SplineGod
02-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Im not sure what you mean by style but many of those movies incorporated 3D cel shaded models. Some used Lightwave. :)

UEI
02-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Well substitue style for concept. Did they generally do the same thing that Understanding Caos did? From what I see hardly no Animation Firn has a drawing team anymore, heck even Disney fired all there remaining hand artist (really pissed me off (I meen you cant get those classics anymore!!!)).

I know SD Gundam was craply done with a Cel Shader. Never really liked the big fat eyes anywayz...Witch hunter robin had a few CG portions, but what about the parts that incorporate the characters (talking and stuff).

One thing that I'd really love to see is the actuall stand up model for some of these Animies. You know, before there cell chaded and all and put into the final work, much like how the Understanding Chaos trailer was when the showed the dark guy. Mabe a wire frame or too, or just the general scene within there software (Lightwave of Corse). If anyone has a site like this (Particularly Animie, or if you think is good, really good cell shaded things that are non CG looking) then can you plz post it?

SplineGod
02-29-2004, 11:10 PM
All animation companies have teams that draw. They may not draw the cels but they draw the concept art, storyboards etc etc.
Most animated movies that have cel shading have some hand drawn elements.
Disney fired the cel animators in Burbank and moved them elsewhere or moved their cel animation elsewhere. Im convinced that hand drawn animation will never completely go away. 3D is definately getting bigger and bigger but it too has its limits.

A very important aspect of cel shading in 3D is having a good understanding of how the geometry must behave in order to make the edges work. Theres a lot more to getting a good cel look to 3D then simply turning on the celshader. Models have to be specifically created with the understanding that they will be celshaded. Most typical 3D characters look bad celshaded.

A lot of thought and design has to go into make 3D characters look good celshaded.

A friend of mine, Jen Hachigian Jerrard is definately an expert on this. Her site is www.celshader.com

UEI
03-01-2004, 09:08 AM
So for me,
If I wanted to do an "Inuyasha" looking feature in lightwave, what would you suggest?

SplineGod
03-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Jennifer would be a great person to contact about modeling for celshading. She has contributed to books and I know she has other material on the subject. :)

lesterfoster
11-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Good question UEI, and good link SplineGod. It looks like I have a lot of good stuff to look at this weekend that I am interested in. Thanks...