PDA

View Full Version : Best Console?

G-Pjube
02-28-2004, 12:59 PM
What is the best Console in the world? And why you think that?
I think The Nintendo GameCube is the best console cause it has a lot of SuperB games.

UnCommonGrafx
02-28-2004, 01:06 PM
PS2
And I'm an old fart that only recently has permitted one into the house.
Eye toy and the dance mat are more an exercise center than a game console. I may even lose some weight on this one!

But, who know which is the best...It's the one we have.

Chrysolithos
02-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Welllllll... PSX has most of the market share.

Ade
02-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Best consoles in order-

1-Bit era-
Nintendo Game and watch

8-bit era-
C64

16-bit era-
Megadrive

32 bit era-
Saturn

128 bit era
Dreamcast

prospector
02-28-2004, 10:02 PM
PC of course
Dual monitor too

LW on 1 screen and Outlaw Beach Vollyball on the other.
Can't go wrong either way;)

wacom
02-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Chrysolithos
Welllllll... PSX has most of the market share.

Which means that the marketing department is the best for that company!

My girlfriend and I are supper dorks and have a GameCube, Xbox, and GameBoy SP.

Oh and by the way the GameBoy line has sold more than anything else and makes Nintendo HUGE heaps of cash. That's right- it sells better and makes more than even the PS2!

I think each console has it's strengths though. There are just certain games that you can only find on each...

OK so now that I've exposed just how much of a dork I am...

Games we're playing:

DDR Ultramix- Xbox Live- and YES it is a workout!

Star Wars Nights of the Old Republic
Eternal Darkness
Animal Crossing
Advance Wars 2
Wario Ware Inc.
Halo
Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge on Xbox Live

Pikmin
The new Cartoonie Zelda for GC

I'm going to go pout now for exposing my dorkness to all...but first I'm going to curl up with my SP and some Wario Ware Inc.

WizCraker
02-28-2004, 11:27 PM
I just modded my Xbox and it kicks. There is nothing like having a console with a quarter of a Terabyte storage [upgradable up to a little over 2 TB].

Beamtracer
02-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Gone are the days when a company launched into the market for the purpose of making great games.

Now they enter the games market for the sole purpose of using it as a stepping stone to dominate some other market.

mattclary
03-02-2004, 09:58 AM
My household contains 1 PS2 and his and hers XBoxen. The only reason I own the PS2 is for Final Fantasy.

ChristopherCBET
03-02-2004, 01:38 PM
WARNING! NERD ALERT!!!!

Something I sometimes do... Uh, I mean a friend of mine sometimes does, is plug the console into a UPS so that random power outages don't lose the game in process.

As I understand it, the PS2 dosn't have the texture ram or buss speed of the other platforms, but I'm more into the games then what platform they are on. (FF series, Spyro 1 to 3, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly & Carmelita, Dracken:TAG)

(I would have got an X-box just for Halo, but since they came out with a pc port... Good thing too, as by the time I got to play it -Single Player- I felt lameosity and weakness. I was disapointed by the repetitive gameplay and lack of cool puzzles. The vehicles were cool, though. )

chilledaqua
03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Not to be a moderator but what does consoles have to do with newtek products? I could see if this were a discussion about how to use Lightwave for creating console graphics but this poll question is way off topic and is just using space. Chuck has a sticky that addresses this http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17153

The forums look unprofessional with a lot of these off-topic threads.

WizCraker
03-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by chilledaqua
Not to be a moderator but what does consoles have to do with newtek products? I could see if this were a discussion about how to use Lightwave for creating console graphics but this poll question is way off topic and is just using space. Chuck has a sticky that addresses this http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17153

The forums look unprofessional with a lot of these off-topic threads.

That is why it is in the General Discussion area of the Forum.

Beamtracer
03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Games hardware is on-topic.

Many people use Newtek products to produce games. The console is the equipment that is used to output their work.

If people can discuss Saddam Hussein in here, I think games consoles is on-topic!!!

Nintendo is really the last of the great games companies. A company that was founded to create great games.

Now Microsoft is eating Nintendo's lunch. Microsoft has much deeper pockets than Nintendo, using its Windows monopoly to finance its push into games.

Why doesn't Microsoft call its console the "Microsoft Xbox"? The name 'Microsoft' doesn't appear anywhere on it. Are they embarrassed or something?

WizCraker
03-02-2004, 11:51 PM
I think everybody knows that the Xbox comes from Microsoft so there is no need to plaster their name over it.

If Microsoft focused all their energy on makeing Toasters, in 5 years they would have a monopoly. Shortly there after they would start to make Microsoft Bread that only fits in Microsoft Toasters and since they dominate the toaster market everybody would be buying Microsoft Bread.

prospector
03-03-2004, 04:45 AM
everybody would be buying Microsoft Bread

Lets hope it's not as buggy as thier software:D :D

Would be funny tho if thier toasters locked up and burnt the Microsoft bread.

ChristopherCBET
03-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Which console is the best is considered off topic?! Go tell that to the folks who ported Unreal Tounament from pc to a console. (UT being my personal favorite of the games that use a lot of LightWave in them.)

WizCraker
03-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by prospector
everybody would be buying Microsoft Bread

Lets hope it's not as buggy as thier software:D :D

Would be funny tho if thier toasters locked up and burnt the Microsoft bread.

LOL

chilledaqua
03-04-2004, 01:56 PM
yeah you're right, this particular thread isn't off topic but sometimes i see some threads here that dont make sense... this is an interesting thread taking a second look at it. Playstation 2 actually has more built-in computer componants on it without the need of buying auxilery componants. For instance it has two usb connections and a firewire connection on the front. What does the xbox have? No connections except they are availale if you buy some stuipd converter. Also PS2 comes with built-in dvd compatability while the xbox needs an A/V pack. Why didn't microsoft put universal in/outputs on the xbox?? I heard that the xbox even has a dolby chip inside but you cant use it unless you buy the coaxal or optical monster cable... The optical even comes in two componants. one is the converter itself and the other is the optical connection. i saw it at best buy once. such a ripoff.

WizCraker
03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Apparently you never used an Xbox if you think you cant use dolby out of the box. A reason why you have to buy a dvd unlock device is the licenseing cost. Xbox is sold as gaming not media center. It has 4 usb ports [aka controller ports] they are modified, it has built in hard drive, built in network card.

chilledaqua
03-04-2004, 08:03 PM
how can you use dolby out of the box? there is no standard connection on the back except for the large audio/video jack that takes in the standard audio/video cable included and the power cable. you could purchase an enhanced audio video cable to get dolby, but otherwise you are stuck with stereo. I own an xbox and have looked on the back with despair. Yes there are 4 USB connections, but they modified the connection. probably because the larger connection could take more abuse from the user, but probably also to just make it harder to use the box to its full capability. Yeah it has a hard drive and all that, and microsoft lost money in selling them because they were so expensive to make, but thats so that he can claim people's livingrooms as well as offices. I'm sure most of the money comes from the games and the royalties to create the games for the xbox. I actually wouldn't be complaining if i could just plug in an optical cable directly on the back of the xbox.

Lamont
03-06-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm a Videogame Whore, so I have almost all from NES to now.... I am trying to win a Virtual Boy on eBay as we speak...

I like the games more than the consoles themselves. Right now I'm playing FF: Tactics Advanced, almost done. And Metal Gear will be here on the 9th. But on my mind most of the time is Ninja Gaiden, Tenchu III: Wrath of Heaven(very fun) and Splinter Cell 2... oh and Puyo Puyo Fever with a dash of Vib Ribbon. I have to drive to Chula Vista to play Punch Mania...

X-Box can do Prologic II as well, which is a technique the GameCube uses. Basicly it's a not as seperated 5.1 signal going through the L/R AV cables. When you buy the cable upgrade, you will get very nice seperation of all your channels in Dolby Digital.

I hope the next wave of consoles support 7.1

PS2 does Dolby Digital (5.1-channel Via optical cable), PCM (two-channel) and Dolby Pro Logic II (5.1 over stereo. Bad thing is that the PS2 doesn't do digital throughout the game because of the processing power required. Used primarily in cut sceenes.

X-Box does Dolby Digital (Via add-on cable). Does digital in cut-sceenes and the game! W00t!!

GameCube does Dolby Pro Logic II. Cool, and games that do it well sound very good.

For the sake of Chilledaqua, hush, hush and... **BUMP**

pnelson
03-06-2004, 05:43 PM
X-Box is by FAR the best game console:

1. TWICE the number of polygons as PS2..
2. Built in 8meg HD (No Memory Cards)
3. Built in Ethernet
4. XBox Live (Download new content for games and play online)
5. HDTV (THIS IS AWESOME!!)
6. GREAT GAMES! Not as many as PS2 but who needs 3000 games with 2500 games are CRAP! Just give me the good stuff.
7. Looks cooler!
8. More Comfortable Control.. (Fits adult hands better)

See ya,
Philip Nelson

Lamont
03-06-2004, 10:26 PM
2. Built in 8meg HD (No Memory Cards)You mean 6-8 GIGS :)

8. More Comfortable Control.. (Fits adult hands better)The Controller S is better than the original. But WTF are the Black and White buttons doing in a RESESSED hole!?!? And the position is not all that great of the two. The directioal pad is not great for fighting games too...

# of polys are not equal to the quality of the game :).

I like the X-Box a lot, the games I have for it are the best of the best. But looking at the wall of X-Box games, there are not that many I want.

What will your feelings be like when you find out that the X-Box 2 will have no HDD? And maybe not the ethernet port or those two annoying black and white buttons? :)

Go play Ninja Gaiden for the X-Box... Uber-Thumb-Fest.

Ooohhh!! 3 more days till:

WizCraker
03-06-2004, 10:46 PM
I have a Version 1.0 Xbox which was built in Hungary plant [which are not built there anymore] and it has a 10 GB HD. The Xbox only comes standard with a 8 or 10. I installed a Mod chip a few month back and got it up to 250 GB :D I have MS Media Center, Linux, a new Dashboard as well as the old so I can play Xbox Live.

Latest addicting games are Top Spin, Deus Ex: Invisible war.

Lamont
03-06-2004, 10:51 PM
I learned my lesson with mod-chips. I just buy the console from the region I want to play. Or I use an non-intrusive way to play games from Europe/Japan.

WizCraker
03-06-2004, 11:08 PM
The mod chip was definitely smaller than what is shown in the pictures. Especially the place you solder the wires to. The d0 connector was so small that you had to apply the solder on the wire then when connecting it to the MB you heat the wire and hope your hand does not shake and you solder to the wrong connector.

The funny thing is I had a diagram where I had to solder everything and I still ended up soldering one of the ground wires in the wrong slot. One of the main reason of the slip up was that since I have a version 1.0 of the Xbox the connectors on the MB were filled with solder so I had to clean remove the old solder before installing.

The coolest part of the Mod chip is that you can make your own apps and Homebrew games [that is of course if you have the knowledge], it also unlocks a lot of the features that you otherwise don't have.

In the end with the Mod Chip and the New HD I could of bought a Brand New Xbox for the same price. But the learning experience alone made it worth the modification.

pnelson
03-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Lamont
You mean 6-8 GIGS :)
The Controller S is better than the original. But WTF are the Black and White buttons doing in a RESESSED hole!?!? And the position is not all that great of the two. The directioal pad is not great for fighting games too...

# of polys are not equal to the quality of the game :).

I guess I'm one of the few people that LOVE the xbox controller! It fits my hand perfectly! I've played with the S Controller and it was too cramped.. Similar to the PS controller (but a little bigger).

I agree that # of polys doesn't make a game but giving great game developers more to work with is a good thing!

If XBox 2 doesn't have as many features as XBox 1, then MicroSoft is making a mistake.. I hope they aren't that DUMB! ;0

See ya,

cresshead
03-07-2004, 05:02 AM
best console?

1.super nintendo for mario kart, f zero, pilotwings, legend of zelda III and super mario world.

2.gameboy advance for all the above games now on gamboy advance except pilotwings....but also tetris...tis still cool!

3.atari jaguar for alien vs predator, tempest 2000, doom

4.nintendo 64, pilotwings, mario kart64, zelda 64

not bought a console since gamboy advance...not much out there to convince me that there's decent gameplay anymore..just re hashes of old games dressed up in new consoles...i'd like to see real inovation not regurgitation from 80's 90's games...

anyway consoles are irrelevant..thay are just power supplies..it's the games that are important.

pnelson
03-07-2004, 07:51 AM
I have a N64 on my TV right now!
Mario Golf
Pokemon Stadium

Using the transer pack with these games is AWESOME!

Now I want Mario Kart and Mario Tennis! ;->

Lamont
03-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Get Virtua Tennis for DreamCast ($5), it's way fun.

I think Nintendo goes out on a limb to make a new type fo game more than any other company. Some are duds, but there are some gems.

Lamont
03-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Dude, you're still playing Stadium!? Cool!!

I'd love to get someone to play against!!

Silkrooster
03-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is involved to create a game for one of the consoles? Is it much harder than the PC or Mac platforms?:confused:

Lamont
03-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Same methods, but you are limited by how data is moved around. Not much ram (very small) to play with, But you can get by that because many games do not display more than 640x480 (some do 480p), so there is more forgiveness on fill-rate and other issues that the PC/Mac real-time artwork has.

But the hardware is very specific, and there are many tools to take advantage of the features. And games come out monthly that seem to impress me in some way.

Darttman
03-09-2004, 05:17 AM
Pong (black and white) from Sears

Atari 2600

My how time flies when gaming. Current game box is a hombrew pc.