PDA

View Full Version : vertical blinds

Schwing
02-28-2004, 03:32 AM
How would I parent a row of vertical blinds so that rotating one would cause the others to rotate on their own axis?

Tom

G-Pjube
02-28-2004, 04:10 AM
just set the middel to parent and the rest to children, if u then rotate the parent then the children rotate to.

Capt Lightwave
02-28-2004, 04:43 AM
Expressions or Follower.

Axis3d
02-28-2004, 09:50 AM
How about this:

You would create your blinds, one slat in each layer, with its pivot point centered on each slat. Lets say you have 20 slats in your model. Load that into layout. Then add a null object. Open the Motion Panel for each slat. Under the IK & Modifiers tab, select the Null as the Goal Object and enable Match Goal Orientation. Do this for each slat. Now, when you rotate the null on the Pitch (that's how my slats were oriented to turn), all of them will rotate togeter, controlled by one null.

Schwing
02-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Axis3d
How about this:

You would create your blinds, one slat in each layer, with its pivot point centered on each slat. Lets say you have 20 slats in your model. Load that into layout. Then add a null object. Open the Motion Panel for each slat. Under the IK & Modifiers tab, select the Null as the Goal Object and enable Match Goal Orientation. Do this for each slat. Now, when you rotate the null on the Pitch (that's how my slats were oriented to turn), all of them will rotate togeter, controlled by one null.

Hey that sounds about right. I went into the motion mixer for each slat and applied the modifier Orient affector to a null. Works pretty slick.:D

Tom

SplineGod
02-28-2004, 04:52 PM
another very easy way is to select all the bllinds and rotate them at the same time ;)

pdrake
02-28-2004, 05:32 PM
make a morph target.

ingo
02-29-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
another very easy way is to select all the bllinds and rotate them at the same time ;)

Can't you use sliders for this ??

SplineGod
02-29-2004, 02:58 AM
It would be faster to just select the blinds and make a selection set in the scene editor so you can pick the same group every time. By the time you set up the sliders you could have just animated it and be done. :)
To rotate them all with a slider you would have to create an expression to have them follow a master channel. The master channel could then be attached to a slider.
This would be a pain IMO just to animate some blinds. :)

ingo
02-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Since i do architectural stills mainly i thought about building a horizontal blind that can be fully animated (size, open and close, rotating the blinds) so i can use it and change it quickly. Sadly since Lw and Modeller are divorced its more difficult than i thought.

So now i made a scene file with just this object complete with modifiers. I just modelled one blind and copied them in Layout 25 times, works fine so far. And adding sliders would be a nice option, but since now it doesn't work or even crashes. Looks like another manual reading session....

pdrake
02-29-2004, 02:41 PM
i know what you're saying splineg, but i still think a morph target is easier. i did this in just a few minutes. this uses the morph sliders.

ingo
03-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Would be nice and easy if it works. Although in this case i think that the size change would not be visible.

pdrake
03-01-2004, 02:47 PM
here are some vertical ones where you can see it more clearly. i don't know what your sized or scale is, so you have to make your own.:p

ingo
03-02-2004, 01:23 AM
No i mean that when you morph the blinds that they get scaled, since morphing, well morphs, and doesn't rotate the blinds.

pdrake
03-02-2004, 12:27 PM
oh, i see. that's true. i didn't even notice.

Lamont
03-02-2004, 12:34 PM
A good workflow improvement for LW is to let you pick the items you want to bind to a script/exspression with the mouse. Like 3DS Max. It saves a few moments here and there. Just another way to skin a cow.