PDA

View Full Version : Roll page in VT Edit

Ric
02-27-2004, 09:10 PM
I know it must be right in front of my face but I can't figure out how to make a roll page I created in the CG work on the timeline of VT Edit. Help please!

Ric
02-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Never mind. Just found the answer (render as an RTV) way back on the forum. Sorry.

bradl
02-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Sidenote:
If you set up the page for rolling or crawling then save PNG image file, it will be the full size of your roll. Plop that on the timeline, set size to 100% and you can keyframe it to roll. Typical PNG for roll will be under a Meg, while a RTV roll will be several hundred Megs. You have to play with the speeds to find the best smoothness of the roll.

Ric
02-27-2004, 10:24 PM
I guess I didn't get it. Tried saving image as png. It made a still of small part of the roll page. What am I missing?

bradl
02-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Not at my machine but there are two things that must be set first. At the top of the interface there is a drop down box where you have to set your page to a motion page (or something like that) and you also have to set your page to be a Roll in another selector somewhere.

Ric
02-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Have it set to motion page and have the up arrow selected for roll. With these settings I have rendered an RTV which works fine in editor. Just can't do that ping thing you suggest.

bradl
02-27-2004, 11:35 PM
No big deal as long as you have plenty of hard drive. Like I said it was just a sidenote but I was surprised to find it would actually save the larger than screen PNG's.

Ric
02-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Yes, I do have lottsa hard drive but who ever has enough? So I would like to get that png trick to work for future credit rolls. Can you suggest what I might be doing wrong to cause the png to render as just one 720x486 screen? Thanks.

bradl
02-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Tomorrow, I will be at the VT3 and will post back here...

bradl
02-29-2004, 10:45 AM
I tried it here an it works fine. What version of VT are you running?

I will post 3 images below.

First one shows Motion Page selected (thats all that was needed for this) then I saved the project and got my automatic PNG in the folder created where you saved:

bradl
02-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Loaded that PNG on the Timeline. Note the dimensions and that VT3 resizes it to fit screen:

bradl
02-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Lastly, resize to 100% and you are good to go:

Rich Deustachio
02-29-2004, 10:52 AM
I think he was just saving it as a png image file and not saving the whole project.

Nice tip I'll have to try it.

Thanks!

Ric
02-29-2004, 03:17 PM
I really appreciate your patience in explaining this but I guess I'm just an idiot who can't get it.

First, I am running build 4744. I think that's the latest.

I went ahead and deleated all the other pages from my project (of course, I saved it with a new name - I'm not that much of an idiot) then saved the project. Beforehand I ascertained that I had it set to a motion page. After saving the roll project, I went to the timeline and all I saw in the file bin was that cg project - no png file. So I went back to the cg and tried saving a png image. Again, it was a partial page set at 100% size - nothing to resize.

When I save the project, no png is automatically created. What's my problem?

bradl
03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
We've rode this pony this far might as well put her in the barn.

When you save your CG project there is a CG project file created, i.e. 'MyProject.cg', and there is a new folder created in the same folder your project file is in, i.e. 'MyProject.CG.Pages' (see example above). In that new folder will be PNG's for every page of your CG Project. If your page was a larger than canvas motion page the PNG will be larger than canvas.

Woody
04-02-2004, 02:38 PM
:confused: Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with a crawl and only get a single frame PNG. I've followed everyone's suggestions but still don't get it. Help!!!

bradl
04-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Woody,

The usual method as described in the manual (I think) is to set up your motion page and type (crawl or roll) then on the file menu save as RTV and it will render an RTV to be used in DDR or VTEdit. The whole discussion above about using the larger than canvas PNG and Positioner was just an interesting option or 'sidenote' to the normal way (RTV).

Either way's smoothness depends on speed selected and it's relationship to FPS as described by Andrew recently elsewhere.

Ric
04-02-2004, 05:16 PM
It does work. Even after all the advice, I was pretty oblivious until Paul Lara told me to look for a folder of cg pages. Who knew? The CG makes a folder full of png files when you save the project. And all this time I had been rendering an individual file of each cg page. Anyway, it's in that folder that you will find a png that will work as suggested.

Have fun,
Ric

Woody
04-06-2004, 07:24 AM
:D Thanks guys, it was so obvious but I didn't see it. All is well in Mudville again.