PDA

View Full Version : Spline modeling, control handles?

mattbolton
02-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Up until today I have always modeled using point-by-point or box modeling, so I decided to learn how to model using splines. After watching Larry's spline modeling tutorial, I was able to jump right in with no problem. However, I did not observe him adjusting the sharpness of the splines at individual points, nor do I see an option in LW that allows me to turn handle visibility on. Am I overlooking something, or are there not control handles for splines in LW modeler? Thanks,

IZZE
02-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Crap, I wish I had modeler in front of me. There are two ways of creating splines. One by laying down points and Ctrl+P. Then there is a spline tool. That one has handles and you can enter the amount of points per spline. I know its a default button but cant remember the name of it for the life of me. Hope this was of some help for ya.

mattbolton
02-27-2004, 11:51 AM
I was making splines by laying out points and hitting Ctrl-P. If I do it this way, there are no control handles?

IZZE
02-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Correct. I think the tool is called Spline Guide. It lays out like the pen tool in Illustrator. If I was in front of my PC I would have a straight answer for you. sorry.

mkiii
02-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Select the Detail Tab & look on the main menu for the Control Points dropdown menu. There are 2 toggle settings one each for the start & end point.

If you want to make use of these, you need to make an extra point at each end of the curve when you create it, otherwise, you lose a segment for each one.

When enabled, these handles will not be used when you make your patch. There are no control handles elsewhere on splines unless you are making a Bezier spline, in which case, you do have them *while you are creating the curve*.

IZZE
02-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Bezier spline! thats what I was going for. And I learned somthing!

mattbolton
02-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Ok, so the only way to control the sharpness of a corner with the splines I am making is by adding another point on the spline near to it? I had seen those starting and ending points options, but I was looking for a way to control the curve sharpness in the middle of a spline. :(

SplineGod
02-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey Matt,
LW splines are not bezier splines so no control handles. I havent found that to be a real problem but it depends on what youre modeling. What I will resort to on occassion is the use of template polys that have specific shapes/sizes etc and then pick points off those to create splines.