PDA

View Full Version : stereo animation to polarized glasses

tecnoponta
02-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Anybody now how I do stereo animation for polarized glasses or shutterglasses?

Lamont
02-27-2004, 10:11 PM
How do you want to play it?

You will need a polarized lens if it's from a projector. And you will need two projectors at that. The projectors will cost $1,500 to $3,000, the lens are (32mm) $30.

Also, you will need two eye offsets of the same animation, each projector plays one of the animations. And you will need a special screen as well, a non-reflective one at that (more exspensive). You will be doing A LOT of adjustments to fix the eye offset of the projection, and will need a pretty good dual projector mount (has H,P,B and Z,Y control).

There is another solution, but this involves special software/hardware and can be done through nVidia's drivers for the PC, or via a TV (There is a special app to run the AVI and trigger the glasses.).

Circular polarized glasses are better.

sire
02-28-2004, 12:14 AM
You mean circular polarization? How is this supposed to work then? Normally there are two linear polarizations situated across to each other which are used to filter out the right image for each eye.

Lamont
02-28-2004, 12:25 AM
The lens are circular polarized, and the glasses are circular polarized. This is not linear, and are good for large viewing areas. It also gives the user a wider range of places to sit.

Lamont
02-28-2004, 12:32 AM
With circular glasses, it is not left and right dependant. Even if the lens on the projector are.

sire
02-28-2004, 12:55 AM
How can stereoscopic imagery be not left and right dependant? :confused:

Lamont
02-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Well, by left and right dependant, I mean, you don't have to spend time trying to adjust the lens in the "X" fashion, and circular glasses don't have that set-up either.

And you can wear the glasses any way you want, and it won't loose the stereo.

sire
02-28-2004, 01:04 AM
Hmm, interesting. Never heard of that. I wonder how this can work though...

Lamont
02-28-2004, 01:06 AM
It works.

I ordered the parts and set up the stereo projection in our demo room. We show our flight engine and videos (DVD/VHS/AVI's).

I can post links to the things I picked out next week.

SplineGod
02-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by tecnoponta
Anybody now how I do stereo animation for polarized glasses or shutterglasses?
Basically you render two versions of the same animation. You set up a camera rig with two cameras and render a left eye and right eye view. You need to make sure your focal plane is the right distance as well as the intraoculardistances.
Once you have the left and right eye views you process the images so that one set becomes the odd field and the other the even field (if going to video). Shutter glasses for NTSC work at the field rate. :)