PDA

View Full Version : LW fix is round the corner!?

Haven1000
02-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Taken from Mac OS Rumors 26/02

http://www.macosrumors.com/

Apple's hopes for a speedy release of the 10.3.3 Update, in no small part to pave the way for faster PowerMacs and Powerbooks which require the update for support of their new chipsets and features, are pinned on build 7F34 which was seeded this afternoon. So far reports are overwhelmingly positive; notably, 100% of the 3D rendering bugs seed in 7F32 appear to have been squashed. For the most part, the two-build advance has consisted heavily of bug fixes but also includes a new version of Safari as we predicted last week.

I dont know the relevance of this but I can only imagine that it relates to LW.

macosrumors have been indifferent with their rumours/ reports in the past, but I feel that this maybe true

Beamtracer
02-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Others who have had access to the beta copy of 10.3.3 have already confirmed (on earlier threads here) that it fixes the graph editor bug.

vnnt
02-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Thats great news. But how can they say 100% of them bugs are fixed personally the tablet mode is driving me crazy, I keep hitting the edge of my screen trying to rotate junk especially going right!

Haven1000
02-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Beamtracer,

I've been aware of the previous threads confirming the fixes to the Graph Editor and enhanced Open GL performance, the post was mean to share the information that the update was about to be released immanently which has not been posted before.

Darth Mole
02-27-2004, 07:36 AM
vnnt - change your cursor mode from mouse to tablet. It's mad but it works.

marble_sheep
02-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Darth--

vnnt said he IS using tablet mode, and it's driving him/her/whoever nuts. I have to agree... especially when it's time to show a client a model... "OK... let me show you... the other side... just a sec... ok wait... moving mouse again..."

But yeah, let me just add my "I can't wait for a fix!" bit. Yay!

mlinde
02-27-2004, 09:24 AM
So I mentioned this yesterday as well, but since this came up again today, here's a rehash. 10.3.3 appears to fix the biggest showstopper in 7.5 with OS 10.3.x, which is the Graph Editor crash. That is the only bug in LW that is fixed by Apple's OS release, from what I can determine. If you have other issues with 7.5c (such as the inability to run most LScripts and tools like ACS4) then you are still waiting for a patch from NT, that, coincidentally, may change the GE code to prevent Apple from breaking it in the same way with 10.3.4 or a later 10.x update.

I know when 10.3 came out everyone here (including myself) was angry that LW didn't work, and so many of you were willing to lay the blame wholeheartedly at Newtek's feet, while in fact Apple did an OGL change that they have now corrected. I'm not saying Newtek is exonerated here, they could have (and should have) addressed it immediately, but it turns out that it wasn't their fault after all. Huh, isn't that interesting. Wouldn't it be even more interesting if Apple someday released quality graphics drivers and optimized the OS in such a way that LW was competitively fast with the Windows version, and Newtek wouldn't have to do anything? I'm not saying NT shouldn't optimize LW for the Mac, they should. But Apple should optimize the Mac itself. Why do I get 30 to 100 FPS less than a friend with a cheaper, older graphics card (running Windows) in 3D tests? Not just Lightwave, but ANY 3D application. That ain't Newtek's fault...

kite
02-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Darth Mole
vnnt - change your cursor mode from mouse to tablet. It's mad but it works.

Thanx!
That saved me a LOT of trubble using ****ty ProE for a schoolproject. And bringing back LW to life om my mac.
Thanks again.

vnnt
02-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Well I guess the only other thing you can do is to place the shaded view in the upper left so that the rotate thing is sort in the center of the screen, at least you wont be hitting the edge of the screen every 10 pixels.

parm
02-29-2004, 05:01 AM
For anyone who uses the rotate icon, stop driving yourself mad, hold down the alt key and drag to rotate. Personally I'm never going back to a mouse now that I'm using a tablet, much easier on the wrist than using a mouse for hours on end.
However ,urgently need a fix to the graph editor.

Darth Mole
02-29-2004, 05:40 AM
I don't see why anyone would want to use icons to drag, zoom or rotate! It's so easy using modifier keys, and you don't have to worry about moving the mouse off the desk.

(I've also recently moved to a three-button mouse from MacMice.com, which provides access to a lot of the main options directly from a menu system which appears at your mouse cursor whenever you hold down Shift/Ctrl.)