PDA

View Full Version : Audio snap crackle and pop!

Rory Berger
02-26-2004, 08:33 PM
I have an intermittent problem that is currently constant. At different times I get a popping coming through the audio outs that show up in the mixer as well as being very audible. A sound tech told me that it sounded like a "stuck bit". After trying all the normal things like killrtme and ctrl-alt-vt I just have to turn the machine off, but it comes back after a few minutes after I reboot the toaster. I saw mention of heat related problems with audio. Is this the symptom? I am trying to edit a DVD of music videos so this is not helping.....

Jim Capillo
02-26-2004, 08:46 PM
The heat problem is simple to eliminate (or confirm) as a cause of the snaps, crackles and pops. Get yourself a decent sized table fan, pop open your box and point it right at the VT card. Run it like that for a while. If you have a bunch of drives in the enclosure, not a lot of fans and the box usually gets warm when you run it, I'd bet that heat is your problem, but I'm just long distance guessing. If your box is in a not too well ventilated area, that could also cause heat buildup.

Do you usually get them right from the first cold startup or does it start after a while?

Jim Capillo
02-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Also, do you have the Windoze noisemakers turned off ? You don't want anything from the OS trying to honk at you as it sits there.

Rory Berger
02-27-2004, 12:53 AM
An audio tech told me tonight that he guarantees that what I am getting is due to an out of sync clock rate. Turns out that some clips that I rendered out of After Effects were 48k instead of 44k.
However it did appear once again when my mouse pointer was accidentaly over a .avi crouton that was a 48k. Even though there was no sound I think that it caused a problem. So far I have not had it re-occur since then. I have deleted all the 48k files from my machine. Unfortunately I am now having a problem using the video from those avi's. When I put the 44k audio to the video it plays just fine, but when I render the project out, the new combined file has audio that is too fast! I saw a similar post elsewhere, I am going to see what I can find out.

Thanks for the suggestions.