PDA

View Full Version : A very long time in the making...

murdoch
02-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Greeting All,

i've just put our brand spanking new website up, after what seems like a very long time in the making. It's the first i've done so i'd be interested to hear how you get on with it. i'm in the process of enlarging the pop up windows but a little unsure if i should go over the 1024*768 mark - this being a commercial portfolio i'm not sure what screen res most 'companies' would use.

Anyway, lots of LW in the illustration section and bits scattered through the design section.

You'll need Flash and it's graphics heavy. C&C's most welcome.

http://www.wrk.me.uk

Disclaimer:
I make no apologies for the blatant use of Poser models within some of the works, they're there on a needs must basis - I need to finish this job by tomorrow! - after 6 years in and out of LW i STILL haven't modeled a human character, just haven't found the time... or maybe i'm just chicken :D

Jockomo
02-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Your work is nice, however your rollovers don't always seem to work. Sometimes they work if you move the mouse over them slowly enough, but most of the time they don't.

Also some pages take a little too long, the first time I looked at the page your Macworld page took so long to come up, I clicked on something else. Only later when I happened to look at the site again and waited longer did I see the work there, which was the better looking stuff that I saw.

Using IE 6.0 and highspeed cable.

Good Luck

Maxx
02-27-2004, 03:52 AM
It's looking good so far! You might want to check your hit areas on the square buttons, as sometimes it seems to have been shifted down. This seems most prevalent on selections under the first row - for instance, Illustration-> Assorted-> Back Office/Optimizing. The over() action only triggers when the mouse is on the bottom half of the square.

Didn't have any trouble with load times here, but all pop-ups came up populated with garbage code instead of the images. And please don't size over 1024x768 (just a personal preference...)

All in all, nicely done. And excellent work!

btw - Running Netscape 7.1 on WinXP, cable line.

ngrava
02-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Seesh! that's some high profile work! Very nice.

-=GB=-

anieves
02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Nice site and excellent work. As commented before, you need to fix the buttons hit area.

BTW my fav. image is the airplane! Nice details. He, he.:D

murdoch
02-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the replys, they're a big help.

as for the hit areas, this seems to have been the response everywhere. they are only the bottom half of the icon area after the top row (there are a few rogues in there that need tidying up as well). that was done deliberately as i felt things were getting just a little too 'active', it needed some breathing space. seems to be causing too much confusion though so back to the full icon size it is. interestingly, a lot of people must be using just the top half of the icons. :D

some pages take a little too long
i think the host was having a few problems that day, they had a message up about user difficulties which i thought had been sorted, everything was fine when i posted. i got locked out as well.

but all pop-ups came up populated with garbage code
this rang some bells. i originally used Netscape to check things when the site was first being made, until the pop ups wouldn't work. they're fine in Safari and IE. trying to find out why Netscape does that though.

Seesh! that's some high profile work!
;)

BTW my fav. image is the airplane!
:)

Thanks again all.

UnCommonGrafx
02-28-2004, 04:00 PM
I like your site. For sure, some very good work on there.

What's your javascript look like to get your popup window? I like your close mechanism, as well. I noticed that the jibberish that came up spoke of your file being created by Adobe and it being a jfif type file.
Also, I captured the url for your airplane file and it, too, comes up as jibberish in Netscape. It's saved funkyly, it would seem.
http://www.wrk.me.uk/popuppics/Mxm-AirTax750.swf

Nice.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Maxx
02-28-2004, 06:45 PM
about the garbage code...this rang some bells. i originally used Netscape to check things when the site was first being made, until the pop ups wouldn't work. they're fine in Safari and IE. trying to find out why Netscape does that though.

'Cause Netscape is wierd. :D Seriously, most people nowadays surf on Explorer, though how much that'll change with Microsoft giving up on the browser (Explorer) is yet to be seen, so it's prolly not that big a deal, but just thought I would point it out in case you happen to be one of the anal types... Judging by the work, you are. It's excellent work.

murdoch
02-28-2004, 08:31 PM
UnCommonGrafx, thanks.
attached is a BBedit file with the popup scripts if that's any help. the netscape thing is weird, if the action is changed to look for .html instead of .swf it works but the window size gets screwed up and it has scroll bars which are a no no (my knowledge of html code is virtually non existent so i don't know what to change in the html file). for some reason i can get the .swf to work locally and across a local network but not across the web. :confused:

Maxx

in case you happen to be one of the anal types
LOL. check my location, says it all.

UnCommonGrafx
02-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I can help you on this one. ;)

Try this code:
window.open('http://iccmods.org/membership_form.htm','New','width=700,height=600,s crollbars=yes,toolbars=no,top='+((screen.availHeig ht/2)-(600/2))+',left='+((screen.availWidth/2)-(700/2))+'');void(0)

Replace my url info with your own. With this snippet you can use it in Netscape and it will give a window without scrollbars, etc. Also, you will need to change the size of the window to match that of your own code.

There is no reason I can think of for this not to work in Netscape. Regardless of some opinions, Netscape's no worse than other offerings. You just have to stay away from the more esoteric stuff.

I really don't understand why your swf won't work in netscape. What's the creating program

murdoch
02-29-2004, 07:31 PM
UnCommonGrafx
using Flash 4. your code seems to have done the trick for the scrollbars, Thanks!
the problem now is the image being pushed right and down from its centred position in the window. tried adding a centre tag to the html but no go - guess i'll have to add a bit right and bottom to the swf. this snowball just gets bigger and bigger the more it's rolled.

As for the garbage that's apparently down to the host and Netscape requiring separate MIME type for SWF files. :eek: