PDA

View Full Version : Which VT files to place in a lifeboat?

creach
02-26-2004, 10:56 AM
We have had excellent luck with our machine. 1 year in service with no major problems crankin' out spots everyday. Until yesterday.

VT[2] hacked up a file (vtoaster.sys) and we had to reinstall. Without flogging it to death I had to call TechSup and Curtis went above and beyond to help me revive my machine. Can you say "teleremote surgery?" Thanks a HEAP, Curtis!

Anyhow, after picking up the pieces for the last few hours today as we re-set our prefs, hotlist, folder colors, desktops, yada yada, I want to know: What VT[2] files should I safely pack away that'll let me get back up without missing a beat?

User config just does not contain enough stuff - maybe it should. And how do we retain all our "preferences"...the stuff like default still length and so on? Can prefs be printed out?

Thanks!
Dan

Scott Bates
02-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Most of what you want is in the Skins directory. The key one you mentioned is Prefs - ...\VT[3]\Skins\Preferences - look for any named Administrator or your name or however you have your system set up. \Skins\CG, FileBin and FileSelector are others. If you've saved any Toaster Scripts for things like the ShuttlePro, backup \Skins\VideoEditor\MainWindow\Main\User Scripts\ which is where those reside. If you've created and saved any Tool Shed User Spline Presets those are in ...\VT[3]\User Data\Administrator\Spline Presets\.

For AuraVT go to ...\VT[3]\Aura\Configs\ and backup Administrator.ini (or whatever it's named) and "Config.dir". In the C:\Windows\Winnt\ directory for W2K or C:\Windows\ for XP, backup "Aura2VT.ini".

If you're using any 3rd party effects like Bob Tasa's One Touch or SoftFx you could backup the ...\VT[3]\Effects\ directory or at least those particular effects, but since you have to put some of his files in \Windows\ it's probably easier to just reinstall them.

There may be some others, but those are the primary ones I keep regular backups for.

creach
02-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Cool. Thanks, Scott. I suppose over the last year this dim bulb I refer to as a brain might've come up with the question a bit sooner, but...

One thing I really wish I had was a copy of all the font styles I built with any gradients. Would the files you've mentioned also contain those goodies?

Dan

Scott Bates
02-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Don't know Cranky, but if you've created them and they keep coming back at you they gotta' be in there somewhere.

Paul Lara
02-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by creach
One thing I really wish I had was a copy of all the font styles I built with any gradients. Would the files you've mentioned also contain those goodies?

Dan,
do a search for styles.txt in the skins folder. That's where they get stored.

creach
02-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah...I know that if I made 'em they'd be in there somewhere, but the "lifeboat" isn't big enough for everyone...I needed to know exactly >what< files I needed to save.

You folks roX!

Cranky Dan :|

bradl
02-27-2004, 02:53 PM
I posted a similar thread a while back. One trick I use is to locate all the files you determine to 'backup' and place them into a Zip archive with full Folder Paths enabled. Now after your rebuild you can run the Zip and chose to extract all or selected files back to their original places with one click. A lot better than digging through hundreds of folders.

As you add or change things try to remember to include them into your Zip.

One word about backing up the Pref file. If you are re-installing the same build restoring it would be OK, but with almost every new build the Pref has gone through changes. I am not sure what would happen if you restore a different 'version' of the Pref over the top of a new one, but I wouldn't reccommened it.

creach
03-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks, Bradl. Good point. The budgetary gods have already decided that (at least for the foreseeable future) I don't have that concern. :(

Dan