PDA

View Full Version : Aliased HDRI reflections?

Carbon71
02-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Howdy,
Everyone raves about how HDRIs are great to use in reflection maps (sperical or image world). I agree but I often get a problem:
I the bright areas especially I get what apperas like aliasing (stair stepping) in that area of the reflection. It looks bad and is a result of the high values in that are of the HDRI map. My usual solution is to convert the HDRI to a bmp (so to clip off the higher values) and use it. Now it doesn't look as good as when I had the higher dynamic range. :)

Suggestions? I've heard that I should fp blur the HDRI to get better results or mess with (FP) white and black levels. Blurring to a level that get rid of the alaising, make the reflection way to blurry. Changing the white or black level seems to effect it the same way as converting it to a bmp: It just limits the dynamic range and doesn't look as good.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. I talking about real common hdris like Building_probe.hdr

RUdiger
02-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Use "Limit Dynamic Range" render option. It is hard to antialias the very hot spots from HDR.

Dodgy
02-26-2004, 08:59 AM
In the Effects>processing panel, activate the Limit High dynamic range button.

Carbon71
02-26-2004, 09:17 AM
You guys are awsome. Thanks so much for the quick response.

That worked like a charm! I wish someone would have told me early. Perhaps that's what I get for not reading the manual close enough.

:)
Jeff