PDA

View Full Version : NT- FPrime vs LW8 Viper- what's the story?

blabberlicious
02-26-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi NT,

I think I would not be alone in wondering whether any improvements have been made to the Lightwave 8 VIPER.

We would like to see a video showing the basic functionality that it's advertised as having.

For instance:

How about a video showing realtime time feedback on combinations of Procedurally and UV Image mapped objects?

This function has been 'broken' even since it's release. We've made numerous requests - to get it dealt with - as not having it kills the sort of workflow boots that everyone is now frantically celebrating with FP.

I know FP has MUCH more to offer, but, I for one would like to know what kind of fixes NY have made to VIPER.

So:

If you haven't handed over VIPER to Worley, what kind of shape is it in? (does it work?)

Please respond, so that users can make an informed choice before they take up the FP offer.

Thank you.

Hervé
02-26-2004, 01:50 AM
you want to know the answer.... I think even NT staff is pretty much in schock ! no words from them.... viper..... mmhhh...I really really really doubt Viper is going to dare to try to even take the competition....

believe it or not, I am scared to wake up, and to just discover it was all a big wet dream....

last demo killed me....

KillMe
02-26-2004, 05:48 AM
dont worry its nota dream if it was youd have it already =)

and i defaintly think newtek should be marketing lw with worleys fprime

to me this surpasses anythign maya xsi or even houdini can offer :eek: shame worley didn't work for newtek =) though if he did and sas g2 and fprime and all his others were included with lightwave it would cost about double =/

Kvaalen
02-26-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by KillMe

and i defaintly think newtek should be marketing lw with worleys fprime

I think it would be a good idea too (though there are some reasons why not). Most people when they look into a package don't take into consideration the available plugins. If someone is looking itno LightWave and some other 3D program that has a good renderer (even if it is external), it's very probable that they would not even know about FPrime and therefore go with another package. But then, I think it is too late to do anything about it now. I don't think such a thing would ever be done (at least not soon).

Hervé
02-26-2004, 05:55 AM
..... hummm , so you're saying MAya, XSi and houdini folks are kinda left behind now.... he he... things change....

I see the # of users interested in this jewel, first day on sale..... at least 5,000 licenses..... lotsa moneee...;)

Hervé
02-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Hey Samuel, Nice explosion tut on your site....

Librarian
02-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by KillMe
eek: shame worley didn't work for newtek =) though if he did and sas g2 and fprime and all his others were included with lightwave it would cost about double =/
And I would pay it without hesitation :)

Avalon111
02-26-2004, 08:50 AM
well, many feature questions for fprime are still open. but what we all have seen so far blows us away. i realy want to know if fprime could also handle radiosity and hdri`s.

maybe nt will integrate fprime technology into lw9.

for me fprime is an must have plugin
so viper gets useless. sorry nt (but thats only one feature of LW ;) )

blabberlicious
02-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Please - can we try to keep on thread?

I'm lovin' what I see of FPrime, too, but the question was about VIPER.

If it's been put out to grass, I think we need to know - as NT have said it was being fixed....but no evidence point to that.

Somepeople might actualy not have the money to shell out on FP, and a working Viper would at least give them some benefits of realtime feedback.

Anyway, NT are not going to reply - so I guess I'm wasting my time.

;-(

But I think it's a legitimate question.

Cheers

badllarma
02-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Steve have you emailed Newtek directly with your question?

I do not think for a second Viper will ever come anywhere near what we are seeing FPrime can/will do after all most of us only paid $150 more for the full 8 upgrade (or there abouts). So I dout a $495.00 upgrade including viper will compair to a $279 new render/viper type tool on it's own. :rolleyes:

hrgiger
02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by blabberlicious
For instance:

How about a video showing realtime time feedback on combinations of Procedurally and UV Image mapped objects?

This function has been 'broken' even since it's release.

A function can't really be 'broken' if it was never a function to begin with.

blabberlicious
02-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
A function can't really be 'broken' if it was never a function to begin with.

Ha ha - true.

NT acknowledged it was an issue when I posted them about 'what's fixed in 8' some time ago.

So I guess they think it's not working., too.

A thought:
Perhaps I should email Worley Labs and tell them to stop UV's & Procedurals displaying correctly in G2 & FP - they obviously let that slip through their rigourous testing procedures.

:-)

js33
02-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Well VIPER is still useful for previewing HV's, Skytracer and texture animation if F Prime doesn't offer those features. Viper was never useful for previewing surfaces or lights because it doesn't match the final render. Now that we will have F Prime for realtime sufacing and lighting I don't care if Viper ever offers that or not.

Cheers,
JS

nerdyguy227
02-26-2004, 04:16 PM
I thought F-prime was a full render output producer. Just millions of times faster.

js33
02-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Noone knows what it does other than what we have seen in the videos. Hopefully Worley will reveal all soon.

Cheers,
JS

hrgiger
02-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, if it were possible for buttons inside my Lightwave to get dusty, the enable viper button is going to be dusty as hell once I have F Prime. With unlimited lights (maybe it's not unlimited but that video uses 144 and I've never used more then 30 or so in a scene) previews and shadow previews including transparency and UV"s in F Prime, I can't see why anyone would even use VIPER any longer. It's going to be the new sock monkey although not as useful.