PDA

View Full Version : female face

veljko
02-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Here is my latest endevaor!
A female face- im working on a small animation, ill post it when its renderd out:)
nothing fancy-

:)

hope you like the pic!

SODAPLAY
02-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Wow :)
How did you texture hat? Is it image or real wool? LOL
Did you model threads of hat or it's texture?

- SODA

veljko
02-26-2004, 01:52 AM
Hi-
glad you like it!-
I made a disk in modeller and made an UV map (its really important to make an UV map before the disc is distorted- that way you get nice clean polygones in the UV) i copied the disc and with the modify tools twisted the two disks into one stitch of the woll hat- then i multyplied that stitch to make one strand, and then bended that strand in a hat shape and multyplied it with radial array to form a hat-
i then modified the hat shape with the magnet tool to get a nice fit on the head-
I had to reduce polygones with the qemloss3 plugin in the end-
The texture is just a lot of little lines which is then used in bump, spec and colour layers of the surface to make the illusion of the little strands that wool is made of. In the end i added some sasquatch to make thoes little strands thatt clump up -
thats it-
oh yea- i used the oggo hikari plugin on the surface- but i think it would have been good without aswell..

hope you understood any of this:)

cg-freak
02-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Hey Veljko,

I reaaly don't understand your explanation about the creation of the hat, but that doesn't matter.

Really love the model you created here, she looks so natural and has the face of "the girl nextdoor". Great work!

Grtzzzz...

CG-Freak:D

veljko
02-26-2004, 03:16 AM
Hi!
i made the model from pictures of my girlfirend, so thats why its not the usual picture perfect super-model-of-a-loreal-comercial- type of a girl
- no to say that my girlfriend is not rocking beautiful!

here is a pic to better explain the hat modeling-
hope this clears things up a bit!

-ignore the colours on the hat- i changed them as the project progressed...

veljko
02-26-2004, 03:21 AM
...and the pic..

pi3141
02-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Damn!! that's brilliant. Awesome character and I love how you achieved the wool effect

StuManFu
02-26-2004, 05:57 AM
I love the hat. You make it sound sooooo easy! But I bet it was fiddly.

And the face looks very French too. I like the creasing of the top eye lid.

Only a tiny criticism, the face looks a little long from the eyes to the chin and the join of the nose to the brow looks rather angular and heavy.

(This is the bit where you get a photo out to show it's just like the real person )

Can't wait to see the animation.

veljko
02-26-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi-thanx for all the replies-
!
I will check out the nos-brow situation- i am affraid it will be hard to make changes in the middle of the face cos that will in the end effect the spacing of the eyes and stuff like that- But i can allways revert to the old object:)

I love doing things like the hat- Where you can go about it like you were really doing it- knitting it strand by strand:)
i prefer to model out most things rather then tryng to acheve it with bump maps..

-:)

pi3141
02-26-2004, 08:30 AM
I think the hat is genius.

On my "Junkie and Dude" characters, I wanted a wool sweater, but through frustration I gave up.

I saw this post too late ;) LOL

julos
02-26-2004, 11:45 PM
wow it's not 3D anymore, it's knitting !
very nice model, but the hat looks so real that it contrasts a little with the girl's face (that looks great too but not as real).
well done anyway :)

veljko
02-27-2004, 04:32 AM
I made a little gif with a facial expression- its a small test, nothig fancy- hope i can attach it, and hope you like it!

freedik
02-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Nice textures and of course, the hat :)

Model itself needs some more work though. Lipcorners, the part between nostrils(dunno how to call it:rolleyes: ), forehead - they all look unnatural. And yes, face is a bit long.

veljko
02-27-2004, 05:19 AM
hmm...I can agree with all accept the forehead..
It si almost complitly covered with the heat, and i cant see how something could be off with it?
Did you mean the part between the eyes?

Ill work on the modell and post the changes-

thx to all-

khan_one
02-27-2004, 10:28 AM
WOW! awesome!

Crazy details for the hat! great modeling. As a french expression says "you're a fly f*cker!"...

You should add more variations to the skin grain because we don't have the same grain everywhere, and add also some colours and diffusion variations.

veljko
02-28-2004, 01:11 AM
Ive made some changes to the model- around the area between the eyes, the middle part of the nose and the ends of the lips- I also made the chin part a bit rounder to make the face "shorter"- Ill be posting the results when i render it out- It takes around 2 hours to render it with radiosity and area lights so i have to wait till i can free up the computer for that amount of time:)
Around lunch time here in croatia (good knows whats that in other parts of the world- i belive its around 8 in the morning in USA) is allways good rendering time:)

-thx for all the help and pointers :)-

wingwalker
02-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Hi Valjko

Great work!!!

Just one small thing.

At the very end of the movements in the animaiton..it looks as if she gives a little smile?

Even with small smiles you get creases running down from either side of the nose. Caused by the muscles in the cheeks bunching up.

Now...unless your girlfriend has the skin of a 6 year old, she should get these lines, however slight they may be.

It would pull the animation together as its the little things that you dont notice (unless your looking for them) that make the difference....and can damage a great piece of work if there not there.

Other than that...good job. Fantastic hat

Rob T

veljko
02-29-2004, 02:33 AM
Hi-thx for the reply!
Since im not an animator by trade, i dont know thoes little things, thx for the input, ill try and incooperate them!

I was going to post the new modified image this morning but there was a power brakedown in the city and computer at my office never finished the render last night- I cant think of a more frustrating thing then walking early in the morning into the office looking forward to see the last nights renders only to realise that the computer is not on stand by, but turned off, and no render to be found on the hard- that really sux!

ou, well ill post it today!

veljko
02-29-2004, 04:52 AM
here is the new revised model-

hope you like it!

Jake
02-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Very nice work veljko!

Especially good work on the skin texturing. Some of the proportions on the nose looked a bit off to me. Of course it may be that your girlfriend's features don't conform to the ideal proportions they teach you in art school--a lot of people's don't.

Anyway I tinkered with the image a bit to adjust the perceived problem areas. I can't say I like my altered version better than your original, though.

veljko
03-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Yes, I see what you mean-
Ill meet you half way, OK?:)
something between the two noses seems the right choice for me:)

StuManFu
03-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Hi Veljko,

The new brow looks a lot better.

I still have an issue with the length of the face. Generally the eyes sit ,vertically, in the middle of the head. If you imagine where her forehead might end from where her eyes and chin are, she would have a very large mekon head.

Fixing this will also help her nose currently very long.

I'm not usually this picky, but I just feel your only a few steps away from a great face.

In a few weeks you can return the abuse and have a go at a self portrait I've been doing!

Hervé
03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
This is really excellent, I really love the ambiance, the colors you choose, and the....hat, I have to say that hat brings a lot to this character, and this is maybe the same reason your girlfriend wears that hat or similar I bet, coz she must look wonderful with a hat like that (if off course she does not have one yet), for some reason it looks like an old commercila for winter cozy vavations...

Keep modeling her entirely... we want more ...!! :D

Cheers Veljko and say hello to your girlfriend, now that we kinda know her....;)

etobiason
03-01-2004, 10:18 AM
I like her with the original, wider nose. She looks more real to me.

Great model. I have to agree the hat is a superb touch.

WilliamVaughan
03-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Amazing! I love teh detail onteh hat...ur insane!

Meaty
03-01-2004, 10:59 PM
aww... she looks sad:(

well done

veljko
03-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Hi-
thx a bunch for all the cool replies!
- I fixed the lenght of the head and will render it out sometimes during the day- Ill post the revision later in the day or tommorow morning-
- Im keepeng the nose as it is for now-
-My girlfriend is watching this thread aswell, she says hallo to all:)
unfortunatly she is a bit more shy about taking nude photos then head shots, so i dont think ill be doing the entire body- i have a good memory thought, so maybe ill do it from my head:)
I see everyone loves the hat:)

@proton: Souch a great post comming from you means alot!- you made my day:)-

@stuManFu and all that helped: thx for forcing me to do the changes the model needed:)

Nemoid
03-02-2004, 05:16 AM
great model
I liked the way you made the hat. tricky and efficient!! as for the face : i think, just study the differences between one half of your girlfriend head, and the other, remove some simmetry and you're done!! :)

veljko
03-03-2004, 03:09 AM
ups-

veljko
03-03-2004, 03:10 AM
here are the last modifications!

-changed the nose and fixed the lenght of the head

hope you like it!

StuManFu
03-03-2004, 03:22 AM
Wooooo! That's looking great now!

Hervé
03-03-2004, 03:53 AM
that art 3D portrait (call a cat a cat !) is soooooo incredibly well made !

Bravo, really big Bravo !! clap clap clap !;)

veljko
03-03-2004, 04:12 AM
never got the hang of this message editing...ignore this post and read the one bellow it:)

veljko
03-03-2004, 05:09 AM
:D

thank you all very much,
i would like to thank god and my parents!
this is souch a great day for me-
thank you all and god bless!

hehe:)- a bit of the oscar bug thats going around:)

siriously,
thx to stuManFu, Herve, freedik, jake and all that helped:)

Hervé
03-03-2004, 06:09 AM
he he, so I guess it is you on the avatar.... who made the painting, assuming it is one..?:)

veljko
03-03-2004, 06:20 AM
yup:)
im the ugly dude on the painting:)

here is the full version:D
-I made it- its oil on a wooden panel- its 1:1 scale

like it?

Hervé
03-03-2004, 06:34 AM
very cool painting !! I really do like it a lot !! a bit of Modigliani style, this is very nice, and no you're pretty handsome guy.... (no no I am not...)

my wife is a painter, she made the painting on the avatar.....:D

Hervé
03-03-2004, 06:39 AM
here is the one

Hervé
03-03-2004, 06:40 AM
detail, coz it's alarge painting (120cmx90cm)

SODAPLAY
03-03-2004, 06:53 AM
Good painting! Good render!

- SODA

etobiason
03-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Can't you photograph her in a t-shirt and shorts? She doesn't have to be nude, I think the final model should be clothed anyway (she's already wearing a hat!) so you can get the arms, legs, body proportion, and fudge or forget the rest depending on how you clothe her. At least, that's one idea.

-e

veljko
03-04-2004, 12:46 AM
hi- cool painting!
who is it of?

Thats a cool idea, the shirt and stuff-
Ill probably do that!
Right now im tryng to put together a demo reel and since i dont have much expiriance in thoes things its a pain staking expirience:)

Hervé
03-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Hey , this is me.... I know.... I am old....

another idea a bit better to see the real body forms is to use a bathing suit..... + you dont have to show these photos to anybody.... so if it is your Girlfriend, should not be a problem...

I did it with my daughter.... in fact more for me.... coz she's not shy and she would have go naked... ha ha...

@+

veljko
03-04-2004, 01:09 AM
yes, the bathing suit is cool- The naked photos would not be souch a problem if i was alone in the office, but since i work with two colegues....
Anyways, im tide up with a new project my studio is doing ( a 3d golf game) and with a task of making a demo reel-
this is work enogh even for a workoholic like me:)

pilkiwilky
03-04-2004, 10:00 AM
can we see the pic of the girl it is base on?

Zarathustra
03-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Really nice. That's a lot of trouble to go through for the wool hat, but it was worth it.

You guys are making me nostalgic for my oils.

veljko
03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
hi-
The hat was not that much trouble- I had the concept clear in my head, and once i had the disks bended right it was all only a matter of cloning the first stitch into a hat:)...

you paint aswell?
i gratuated painting just last year- dont have much time to paint these days...oh well, you cant have the cake and eat it i guess...
As you know, painting really eats up your time- something LW has in common with it:)

as for the photos the model was based on... the ones i used for work are really not flatering:) (I set up the lightening to get as much info and as little shadows and specularity on the skin of the head)- ill make new photos in which ill try to mimic the lightening as it was in LW and post thoes photos asap-

i have some works (paintings, drawings and photos) on display at this url http://www.pipschipsvideoclips.com/fightclub/vpopovic/index.htm
check it out if you have the time
&and feel free to comment-

veljko
03-05-2004, 01:11 PM
& thx again for the overwhelming amount of replies and comments!

Zarathustra
03-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Great. I could never loosen up like you can with your paintings. I would always be too caught up in realism, plus my training was VERY traditional with an underpainting and multiple thin layers of color. Yeah, who has time anymore for all that?

btw - The figure studies are very raw and active, kinda like Bacon's. I like them.

veljko
03-06-2004, 01:53 AM
Yes, i had Bacon in mind when i did them- I tried to take his concept of capturing movement and build on that-
Im glad you liked my work-
My first two years were just like that- then we were incuraged to experiment- I never did find a good reason to totaly move into abstract art, so most of my work is figures and still life-

Hervé
03-06-2004, 02:13 AM
I've checked your site Mister.... great artwork... one word... Magnifique !

Now that was you who did the actual little Character with the Buttons eyes !?!!.... absolutely worth the NT gallery.... I know you are a bit like me... a bit disapointed (I thought some of my work would have benn good in LW gallery, at least I would have be happy... same goes for you as well as other people who posted here absolutly great stuff in my opinion, but never got published on the site, while also at my opinion, soem of the LW work gallery does not deserve to stand there... this is especially true for the animation part, that stuff looks like nothing today...)

anyway, I love your paintings...

BTW Zarathustra, my wife has the time for that... he he:D