PDA

View Full Version : Help really needed

moonie
02-25-2004, 10:56 PM
tks for looking out in here, im currently studying and need to hand in a project that involves using lightwave to create a car advertistment and in my team im the one that involves creating a environment to use for the advert. I hope that someone can provide me some help such as tutorial on how to do surfacing , lightning and some modelling such as trees , terrain. I never use lightwave before hope that someone can help out tks

prospector
02-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Here are some tips

Trees...
Download some tree pics from a source that only shows the tree and no other bkgrnd, most likely from a nature site, I have a book like that that I use from EYEWITNESS HANDBOOKS by ALLEN J. COOMBES that I got from Banes and Nobles for about 9 bucks.

Fhotocopy the trees you want.
Then in photoshop take the tree and 'CUT out the tree and leave the background color, (in my book it is white.

Fill the tree area that you cut with black, then invert so tree is white and bkgrnd is black.
save as 'Tree clip' and save the tree pic as tree.

In modeler nmake a rectangle the size you want the tree to be and map it as UV and planer.

Put the polys along the rout that your auto will take so that they are angled or facing the car.

In layout load the polys and set the surface to UV Planer and load the tree pics, then use the Tree clip to erase the background and leaving only the tree pic.

There's your forest.

For terrain you can do a cupla ways,

Fast...make a flat plane in modeler as big as you need to do the video, subdivide ('shift_D') a lot of times, the using the magnet tool raise some hills in the plane.

then save

in phottoshop, make a rectangle pic longer than high and do a green to brown...my mind went blank, but it goes from green on top to brown on bottom pic..Dang can't remember what it's called..
Anyways save it

in layout load the hills and use the pic as a planer map from the side and you'll have green hills and brown valleys.

Other way it to scan or look for map on net that has view from top.
in modeler make a plane that ya need for scene.

load pic to background in whatever view you looking down on plane ya made.

subdivide again, and looking at map use magnet to raise wherever you see hills and lower wherever you see valleys.

UV the plane from the top in planer and save

in layout load the hills, texture the UV with the map ya got.

you'll now have hills with the terrain you got.

Those are the fastest and easiest ways,
from there you can do more detailed work, like adding buildings, electric lines and such.
Then use LW Skytracer 2 to make the atmosphere and sunlight/moonlight.

Like I say, it's the fastest and easiest.
you could scan some bushes and do like the trees and have bushes and trees, make some fences...get as detailed as you have time for.

Hope that gives you a start and some ideas.

moonie
02-26-2004, 01:27 AM
tks for the information but i hope there is a tutorial for it. I cant seem to find any good tutorials yet =(. I have done a landscape already and i need to put in some trees. I hope any one can provide me with any information to make a tree.

coz im really a beginner in 3d modelling. Hope that u guys can help big time

munky
02-26-2004, 03:47 AM
Hi there moonie

I'd suggest you go to flay.com as it has links to the best tutorials and most of the lightwave plugins that you will ever need including ones that will generate trees for you. Also check out the Newtek tutorials. Also as Prospector says clip mapping is great as you just use a flat poly to create "cutouts" of images or sequences you want in your scenes.

regards

paul

mattclary
02-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Wait a minute.

You have an assignment to do a project with Lightwave, but you've never used it before? How is that?

What software are they teaching you on, if not LightWave?

moonie
02-26-2004, 08:15 PM
tks ill go take a look at the webby

this is kinda of our project to learn about new programs.

Posting of any other good website will be well appreciated =)

tks

SplineGod
02-27-2004, 01:33 AM
You can also do instant trees by generating HV sprites on a ground of a copy (just points) of your ground terrain. You can apply a tree clip to the sprites and instantly resize them or randonly resize them. They always face the camera and will cast shadows. Theyre great for distant trees.

You can also do Polygonal trees and do a LOD object replacement based on camera distance so you dont get swamped with lots of hi poly trees.

prospector
02-27-2004, 09:22 AM
OH YEA!!
Sprites...fergot bout them:D

So hard to remember everything LW does...