PDA

View Full Version : Newtek just doesn't understand undo's

gable900
02-25-2004, 03:17 PM
I just read the feature list for LW8 again:

"Other Layout Enhancements:

Multiple Undo for transforms such as Move, Rotate, etc. "

What this says to me is once again Newtek is ignoring what has to be the single most popular request for layout--EVER: Multiple undo's that respect ALL panel changes.

Why can't you undo something as simple a surface change in
layout?????????????????
How hard would it be to give all of these 'orphaned' panels
their own undo buttons to step back thru the changes in that
panel only??

We've been BEGGING Newtek for this for YEARS.

Mylenium
02-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Well, as much as I understand your frustration, you somewhat miss the point. Take a look under the hood and you will understand why undos for everything are impossible. It's LW's outdated architecture that hinders this. For instance if you take a look at the item properties supported by the new scene editor, you will find no provision for "custom attributes/ channels" (There is a pic of that list floating somewhere in the community section). To me that means they are hard coded into LW's core instead of LW dynamically checking for attributes. And that's basically where LW fails - most of the time it's just ignorant of all the things it does itself (in tech terms: it doesn't watch its own parameters/ channels) as well as any plugin (and these are quite a lot even in the out-of-the-box version). It's simply a lack of communication. This cannot be overcome with this old architecture. In contrast to you I also think adding a dedicated undo button to every panel is ridiculous. It doesn't solve the underlying problem and would actually worsen things. And please don't call adding and undo a simple thing. Just think of the many parameters you need to stor for a multi-layered surface...

Mylenium

Nemoid
02-27-2004, 05:43 AM
Unlimited undos for everything into an app are possible ONLY if this was planned at the start while compiling the code. undos for transformations are good , though.

pixelinfected
02-27-2004, 08:50 AM
to do a working undo for all features, newtek must write a line of code for every possibile events (events is click of mouse, key pressed and more in dev languages), that mean every time you hit a key to activate a function, an envelope, or more, you need a control that write in a undo stack what you have did, what you have changed, and if you delete something, all data deleted.

generally is hard to write and do everything recorded during a starting develop of software, but do it after a long developing like lightwave is near to impossible, and is more simple and efficient do that with a complete rewritten software (which give to lw a new and clean future), but i think is only for version 10, not before. rewrite completely a young and efficient code need time, long time for every developer.

my 2 cent

Nemoid
02-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Glad to see you jump in, Pixel! i always adviced to Nt to do a rewrite for these tasks, they could start this into a parallel pipeline while selling Lw 8. Great effort, but it would pay greatly in the long term.