PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Mirage for OS X?

JackDeL
02-25-2004, 05:43 AM
I'm been using Lightwave for almost 2 years, but I am a total noob as far as compositors go. and I've been trying to figure out which application to buy for compositing & post work.

On the surface, Mirage looks like exactly what I need. I plan on doing things along the lines of Albee's Ghost warrior movie, but he uses digital fusion, which of course is not available on Mac :mad:

Does anyone here know how Mirage stacks up to FCP, Combustion or DF?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

JackDeL

riki
02-25-2004, 07:01 AM
Try a search of the forums, I know this has been discussed before.

Sorry I forget the finer details but I think the general gist was 'no' their not the same, or not comparable.

Jirapong
02-25-2004, 09:31 AM
I've too been using LW for a while and looking for the composition software. After went though Mirage website, I think it is not for composing screen. You might need to look at After Effect or Combustion. I'm looking at combustion 3. It seems to have more avantage in 3d than AE (Standard version). Also, you can check at Macmall if you are in US. They have pretty good deal, $780 instead of $1000 from Discreet resellers.

harlan
02-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Well first off, Mirage doesn't compare to FCP at all. FCP is a non-linear editing package. Mirage is a Paint, Animation, and effects application. Mirage is actually quite a bit more than that, as you can use it for comping, etc...

Although the demo version of Mirage that I played with had quite a few bugs in it, it was pretty damn nice. I highly recommend it as it's one of those "swiss army knife" kind of tools. Buy it, support it, use it, enjoy it.

Don't not purchase FCP, Combustion, or anything else because you think that Mirage may work better than those apps. Look at the feature sets of each tool and decide what will get the job done. Buy Mirage anyways, because it's fun and cheap.

Jirapong
02-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Harlan,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Can mirage do the compositing?
If they can I would go for it. I mainly need 3d compositing for complicated 2d screen. But, compositing 3d animation is also my next atep, hobby.
If Mirage can do that I would go for it, because it cheap too.

Tom Wood
02-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Here's a thread at the Mirage site where the same question was answered by the president of the company:

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=576

I use Mirage to composite LW 3D images with Mirage artwork, then edit in VT3. Look through the user galleries to see what others are doing.

TW

harlan
02-25-2004, 03:24 PM
You will never regret purchasing Mirage. It'll pay for itself in a matter of hours.

If you're wanting to get serious about compositing (high-end, pricey pricey, type stuff), then you'll want to look into Combustion, AE, Shake, or DF (PC Only).

Node based compositors (like Shake) are really the only way to go for true compositing, but the timeline based alternatives are pretty good as well.

All that being said, I've yet to purchase Mirage. I have Aura in my VideoToaster workstation, but I'm dying to get Mirage for OSX - so I can eliminate the step of going over to Aura from my G5.

Mirage is very versatile. It's very fast, very easy, and it can be as deep as you'd like it to be. For the money, you really can't beat it.

Ade
02-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Is mirage like Bodypaint?

Also what you are looking for is Messiah for compositing LW.

JackDeL
02-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey!

Thanks for the replys guys! I did do a search before on this subject but found mostly comparisons between FCP, AE & Combustion. all of which are out of my price range for now. :(

To demonstrate my ultra noobness, :p I have another question or two:

What are the actual definitions / differences of "Node based" and "Non_linear" packages? I hear these terms all the time when reading about this stuff, but I haven't actually heard a definition! What concept are we talking about here?

Thanks for your patience!
:D

"Ducks & hides under desk"

Triple G
02-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Just to throw another question into the mix (sorry, don't mean to be hijacking this thread...I'm just curious):

Are the effects in Mirage non-destructive? I thought I heard something in the past about Aura's effects being destructive, in that once you apply them, they're set in stone and you can't go back later and tweak them or turn them on/off like you can in something like AE, for example.

Tom Wood
02-26-2004, 06:28 AM
I wonder if the term 'destructive' was created to plant a negative connotation to the methodology by companies that use a different one.

But yes, once an effect is applied it is painted into the selected layer. It can be undone though, or you can keep a copy of the original layer and simply turn either it or the effects layer on or off. I have a complicated intro sequence that I'm fiddling with, and each effect is isolated to its own layer, so I can work on one part at a time without affecting any others. It's not really that destructive.

TW

JackDeL
02-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood

But yes, once an effect is applied it is painted into the selected layer. It can be undone though, or you can keep a copy of the original layer and simply turn either it or the effects layer on or off.
TW

This is good to know, as it was something I had been wondering as well. ;)

Any takers on my supremely noobish "Non-linear vs Node based" question?

:(