PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave saving problem...

ingo
02-25-2004, 03:19 AM
...LW is crashing when saving the final rendering after 15 hours.

I have to render a big print resolution rendering 11339 x 6378 Pixel in size. Since LW is strangely not able to render it in one file i manually have to make five files with five different vertical regions.

So here is what happend : Rendered the first region, LW crashed while saving the file to disc, rebuild the file (can you say HV ? ) and rerendered it, worked fine. Second part rendered after several rebuilds, glady LW crashed when it starts to render, so not much wasted time here. Third part rendered fine, weird. Fourth and fifth part crashed while saving the file to disc after 15 hours of rendering.

Since you can't find out what goes on here with quick testing i now render the fourth part, after rebuilding the file, without some of the HV's and hope that it works this time.

So has anybody any ideas what happend and what i can do ? Since it works, or not, only with big files testing is not really possible. So any help to get around LW's weird memory management is welcome.

thanks

Exidor
02-25-2004, 05:40 AM
I'm a total newbie at LW, so I can't help with app-specific things. However, if it's crashing while saving a rendered image, you may be hitting a file size limit of the operating system - Windows FAT32 has a 4GB limit, for example. How large are the files that you managed to save? What OS are you using?

mkiii
02-25-2004, 06:02 AM
2 things.

Buy more RAM - You need physical RAM to do large renders reliably, and Make sure your CPU is not overheating. The latter happened to me on large CPU intensive renders, and a newer more efficient fan solved the problem.

ingo
02-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Sorry, i obviously forgot to mention i'm on Mac OS X and have 2,5 GB RAM. The filesize of the image to be saved is around 50 MB, so not a problem. Thanks for your help.

ingo
02-26-2004, 02:43 AM
Ok, back to life again.

So for other people running into the same problems here are my observations :

- Hypervoxels SUCK big time, they corrupt scenefiles very fast and cause weird crashes while rendering. I've looked at some old files with a texteditor just to find that some HV's are attached to objects that have no HV, mainly the first object in the scene, and HV's didn't load although attached.

- The other reason for the crashes were simply that LW is running out of memory. It has enough memory to render the complete picture but because of an internal miscalculation not enough to save the rendering. Using smaller limited regions worked.

So lets hope this can be a help for others running into this problem or lets hope that NEWTEK can fix this.

pixelinfected
02-26-2004, 02:46 AM
when you render large image is better to use some utility to cut big image in many scenes, and render separate section.
renderstrips is a lscript which work on win and mac (i test it).

render different part are more fast, simple and controlled.
probably lw at the end of render not have enought memory to load plugin and save.

do that :
use renderstrips to split render in different scenes (4 or more).
apply to scene on render option render from 1 to 1, set up like format of saving flexible (core format of lw at 128bit with alpha which not need to load plugin to read and save). and render with f10, which render, save directly to disk at end of render.

then after render all scenes, load by image editor all images rendered, double click and save in your preferred format (psd for example).
then you can load all in photoshop and compose them.

i hope that help you.

ingo
02-26-2004, 02:56 AM
Well i have tested renderstrip and it doesn't worked. But i was able to save and load limited regions. The problem is only to find out how big these regions have to be, which in my case failed and cost me nearly a day in rendertime. But thanks for your help and sorry to hear that you're infected ;)

pixelinfected
02-26-2004, 03:26 AM
thanks, but i' was infected by pixel when i was a thirdteen boy...
too later for me;) ;) ;)

ingo
03-16-2004, 01:50 AM
Bad news, it happend again. This time LW was a rendering in one piece (7680 x 4320 pixels) that crashed when saving the rendering after 20 hours. Even without Hypervoxels or anything suspicious. So thats it for Lightwave, i can't afford these annoying crashes and tell the client that it needs another day to render. Back to a more mature software that is capable of doing print resolution renderings without crashing or endless rendertimes.

pixelinfected
03-17-2004, 02:24 AM
we did and do a lot of print resolution render, but we ever split in many small render, too risk and long a single render, and too memory request, big limits of lw is that all plugin saver need to work in memory, than, if not have enought meory to move a copy of rendered image to plugin saver, lw crash or not save.

try to render in flx format, which not need a duplication of image data, then convert with lw in a different format.